Walther Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
cannj12,
I would recommend you review the YouTube videos put out by Sage Dynamics. Aaron Cowan is a big advocate of MRDS on handguns and has done a lot of training and research.

Shooting with an MRDS is different than shooting with irons and you have to learn the techniques. Draw stroke and eye focus are two of the things that change.

Bottom line, MRDS have come a long way in the last 5 - 10 years. Some brands/models are more reliable than others. For a carry gun, back up irons are required because even the best fail and redundancy is your insurance policy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Holosun makes some military grade optics now. I would personally stick to something military grade for defense. You have a lot of options now. Holosun seems to have the best bang for the buck if you are on a budget. I was trying to decide between Sig and Leupolds military grade optics and I went with The ProPoint as a long time fan of the company and the features. I am happy with it: it works well. I cried once.. I believe Sig uses Holosun tech and has their own engineering work with it so it should all be good stuff. I am also a fan of Vortex but would only carry the Razor heavy duty line. I have a Viper that has taken a beating and still holds zero mounted as a backup on a scope offset but I would not want it on my carry gun. I would stick to something with a steel shroud also: there are a number of options. That's just me. From what I have read Holosun aluminum is very well engineered however.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have 3 red optics and one green optic (with ACSS reticle). The green ACSS is BY FAR my favorite. The green is easier to pick up (to my eye) than the red, but that's really a minor thing. The green isn't that much more visible than the red, but is unique enough that it seemingly grabs my eye a smidge faster. Regardless of color, I'd go back and replace them all with ACSS reticles, if I could. That huge outer ring makes it so much faster to index the "dot" and doesn't clutter the FOV like the normal Holosun circle/dot.
I agree! I have green dot Holosuns on my two of my PDQ pistols and the ACSS on the PDP. The large outer ring I found to be useful with the first couple of hundred rounds, but now I rarely see it....I've developed muscle memory that gets the chrevron pretty close to the POA. That chevron is so much easier for me to see than a small dot. The chrevron I think is about 10 moa and I can really pick it up quickly compared to the rather small dots on the PDQs.
This all applies to "action pistol, quick draw" shooting, not target shooting. In that case, I'd be using the 2moa for "target shooting".

Doug

·
Registered
216 Posts
I own both red and green and MUCH prefer the green. I also prefer the chevron over the dot.

Why? The dot, usually a minimum of 2 moa, covers the POA and isn't precise. By having the POI at the very top of the chevron (^), I can aim more precisely for tighter groups.

·
Registered
992 Posts
There are many, many law enforcement, military, and other tactical personnel that would wholeheartedly disagree with those concerns. If you're concerned with the electronics failing, then add backup iron sights. The truth is there just are not widespread reports of these quality* optics failing. If they were known for regular failure, they would not be as popular as they are.

As with anything, failure is a possibility, and it was a concern that I had when I first started shooting with red dots too. However, after many months of shooting with them, as well as talking to those that rely on them in their tactically focused jobs, I don't have those concerns anymore. Yes, I have BUIS on my daily carry 'just in case' but I have no concerns with trusting my life to the optic. It has been proven time and time again that an optic leads to faster shots once you are used to them. I'd much rather gain the advantage of that faster target acquisition than to write off optics on the extremely small chance that the electronics may pick that exact moment to suddenly fail.

*assuming the use of quality optics here and not the no-name cheap stuff meant for airsoft guns.

100% agree.

When I started using a dot, I ran several different dots with mixed reliability. There are brands now that I won't touch, just because I don't have faith in them on something that I'd carry. That said, over the past few years, the reliability of them, at least in both my reading, and in my practice have taken massive leaps forward. Yes, I do have some co-witnessing sights, but that was more being cautious when first adding optics. These days though, with certain models, I'd have zero concern at all with them.

I always thought that a pretty good argument for them, was that you become target focused opposed to front sight focused, and my belief was that in a defensive situation that would be a benefit. Since then my opinion has changed a bit, since I think proficiency trumps everything. I understand peoples caution, but I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds thru guns with optics, and wouldn't hesitate to trust one.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts