Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. I have finally decided which Optics I am putting on my PDP. The one I want allows for either Red dot or Green dot. I have been reading about both and wanted to pick some brains here as to which you like better and why. I know it's all personal choice but as I read all the stats I tend to find myself over analyzing my choices. So please feel free to give me all the good, bad and ugly of these two choices...and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
4 of my 5 are red, and I’m used to them. My shorty can go red or green, and I alternate. I think I like green better if the cost is the same.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
219 Posts
I have 3 red optics and one green optic (with ACSS reticle). The green ACSS is BY FAR my favorite. The green is easier to pick up (to my eye) than the red, but that's really a minor thing. The green isn't that much more visible than the red, but is unique enough that it seemingly grabs my eye a smidge faster. Regardless of color, I'd go back and replace them all with ACSS reticles, if I could. That huge outer ring makes it so much faster to index the "dot" and doesn't clutter the FOV like the normal Holosun circle/dot.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
219 Posts
Red....green washes out with surrounding environment and colors.
I have both and find this to be untrue - at least for my eyes. Everyone's eyes are different, but the green is actually more visible. It's a bright, unique shade of green that doesn't wash out even with solid green foliage filling the field of view. I think a lot of people are actually more sensitive in the green spectrum making it a surprisingly effective color - more so than red.

But as I said, everyone's eyes are different and those with certain color blindness would need to see for themselves what color they can see the best

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But as I said, everyone's eyes are different and those with certain color blindness would need to see for themselves what color they can see the best
Now that is an interesting view point. I do not have a color blindness prese but my wife tells me that I see certain reds in lighter shades than she does or my son does. My LGS only has the optics in the Red dot so I unfortunately do not have the option of seeing them both in person.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My LGS only has the optics in the Red dot so I unfortunately do not have the option of seeing them both in person.
Okay, then let me see if I can help you relate it to something else. I'm assuming you've seen a red one, but if not, the color of the dot is a very vivid red LED. If you've seen a laser pointer, it's about that same color of red. Similar to all LED taillights or red LED Police/Fire lights. That's about the wavelength of the red dots.

The green would be equivalent to a green laser pointer. A lot of green LEDs will vary in color and older green LEDs will actually be closer to blue in wavelength than a normal green dot optic, so it's ard to give a good example of something like that. However, if you have any color changing LED light strips or light bulbs, then they may be somewhat similar to the green wavelength of the green dot optics. It's a very bright, vivid, unique shade of green. Maybe more like a green screen would be a good way to compare the wavelength. If you've seen a well lit green screen somewhere, it's about that same color.

I wish I could find a good example online, but most of the pictures I can find are horribly off as far as the tint, and even then it would depend on the quality of your computer or phone screen.

Still, can't go wrong with red either. If you can see red clearly, then that's still a great choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take a look at my Sentinel install on PDP post imjusted posted pictures were you can see my green dot on one of the pics.

I just installed it today not shot it yet but for me the green dot does work great against any background.

·
Registered
40 Posts
57 yr old eyes with astigmatism in both. Red is fine. I just really, really like/prefer green. I've got 2 Romeo 5's in red on a couple ARs. Everything else is in green - AR with a Vortex; PDP with a Holosun 507C ACSS Vulcan; Glock 19 with a Holosun 507C ACSS Vulcan; Sig P365XL with a Holosun 507K; Ruger 10//22 with a Holosun 403; Angstadt UDP-9 with a Holosun 503.

I find the green not as harsh. (Again red is ok) Additionally I've always kinda liked the color green anyway...over red. As stated - I've red that green washes out in a wooded environment and I've read that it doesn't. As I'm in AZ desert, shooting with a wooded backdrop is not a reality for me - so I've not personally tested it. Additionally, in a low light home defense type situation - the green just seems easier on the eyes.

I had a 507C ACSS Vulcan in red originally on my PDP - as soon as it came out in green, I sold the red one and bought the 2 I own in green.

Automotive lighting Gas Electronic component Electricity Electrical supply

·
Registered
109 Posts
OK guys. I have finally decided which Optics I am putting on my PDP. The one I want allows for either Red dot or Green dot. I have been reading about both and wanted to pick some brains here as to which you like better and why. I know it's all personal choice but as I read all the stats I tend to find myself over analyzing my choices. So please feel free to give me all the good, bad and ugly of these two choices...and thank you in advance.
Red dots are good for outdoors and brighter light. Green dots are usually used indoors. Neither should ever be relied on in a self defense situation. Anything electronic can and eventually will fail from bad batteries to corroded circuits or even recoil and vibration. Electronic sights are fine for competition or plinking, not for a serious life or death encounter. Most are way to big and bulky and heavy for a carry gun anyway. It also takes away time from you to become proficient with iron sights.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I started shooting with air rifles with irons and rimfire. We had a rimfire range in my hometown: certain days they would open it to rent to the public. Most of the guys had high end Anschutz. The pistol class was popular and many had early red dots from the old school manufacturers. I picked up a Tasco Propoint eventually to mount on one of my rifles: it still holds a zero today. This was the early 1990's.

When green dots came out I tried a few but found them to be too eye catching and it made it difficult to focus on the target. I have a military grade green laser, it is impossibly distracting. For me red is the best: I have tried a number of colors and none work for my eyes like red. And stranger when at the range (woodland) a green laser I was using was surprisingly difficult to see with all the green in the background. I would not consider green as an option. But everyone has different color perception: but I test exceedingly high on color, texture, shape, and spatial recognition in past tests.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Red dots are good for outdoors and brighter light. Green dots are usually used indoors. Neither should ever be relied on in a self defense situation. Anything electronic can and eventually will fail from bad batteries to corroded circuits or even recoil and vibration. Electronic sights are fine for competition or plinking, not for a serious life or death encounter. Most are way to big and bulky and heavy for a carry gun anyway. It also takes away time from you to become proficient with iron sights.
So this is a great point and one that I have been struggling with. This PDP is my primary EDC. I shoot great with it as is and with all the movement to the Red Dots figured it would be an aid to improving my abilities with this firearm. I have never owned or shot with a Red Dot, always iron sights. As you mentioned, it is electronic and there is always that possibility of electronics failing us. Am I over thinking the need for a Red Dot vs just staying with Iron sights? I don't know how to answer that question. My concealed combats tactics instructors love the Red Dots and really recommend them but as you mentioned how practical are they for an EDC pistol?

pew-pew tactics has a pretty good test and review on red dot optics
Thank you for sharing this article. I did find it answered a few of my questions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So this is a great point and one that I have been struggling with. This PDP is my primary EDC. I shoot great with it as is and with all the movement to the Red Dots figured it would be an aid to improving my abilities with this firearm. I have never owned or shot with a Red Dot, always iron sights. As you mentioned, it is electronic and there is always that possibility of electronics failing us. Am I over thinking the need for a Red Dot vs just staying with Iron sights? I don't know how to answer that question. My concealed combats tactics instructors love the Red Dots and really recommend them but as you mentioned how practical are they for an EDC pistol?
There are many, many law enforcement, military, and other tactical personnel that would wholeheartedly disagree with those concerns. If you're concerned with the electronics failing, then add backup iron sights. The truth is there just are not widespread reports of these quality* optics failing. If they were known for regular failure, they would not be as popular as they are.

As with anything, failure is a possibility, and it was a concern that I had when I first started shooting with red dots too. However, after many months of shooting with them, as well as talking to those that rely on them in their tactically focused jobs, I don't have those concerns anymore. Yes, I have BUIS on my daily carry 'just in case' but I have no concerns with trusting my life to the optic. It has been proven time and time again that an optic leads to faster shots once you are used to them. I'd much rather gain the advantage of that faster target acquisition than to write off optics on the extremely small chance that the electronics may pick that exact moment to suddenly fail.

*assuming the use of quality optics here and not the no-name cheap stuff meant for airsoft guns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are many, many law enforcement, military, and other tactical personnel that would wholeheartedly disagree with those concerns. If you're concerned with the electronics failing, then add backup iron sights. The truth is there just are not widespread reports of these quality* optics failing. If they were known for regular failure, they would not be as popular as they are.

As with anything, failure is a possibility, and it was a concern that I had when I first started shooting with red dots too. However, after many months of shooting with them, as well as talking to those that rely on them in their tactically focused jobs, I don't have those concerns anymore. Yes, I have BUIS on my daily carry 'just in case' but I have no concerns with trusting my life to the optic. It has been proven time and time again that an optic leads to faster shots once you are used to them. I'd much rather gain the advantage of that faster target acquisition than to write off optics on the extremely small chance that the electronics may pick that exact moment to suddenly fail.

*assuming the use of quality optics here and not the no-name cheap stuff meant for airsoft guns.
That does help put my mind at ease. Thank you. As for optics I am looking at the Holosun 507C for my PDP. I hope it turns out to be everything I need and want. Thank you for the advise, I do tend to over thinks things so that does help put it into a better mind frame for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts