Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post in the forum, although I've been a Walther fan for years. My collection includes a first generation P99, SP22 M2, P22, PPQ M2 Target, PPS M2, CCP M2, and I just recently acquired an Interarms PPK/S.

Having taken my PPK/S to the range, I found that it functioned perfectly, but is a bit snappy. But I also found that the trigger on it is REALLY heavy...not crunchy at all, but so very heavy.

Thus, I wonder if anyone can recommend a highly competent gunsmith who can do an action job and turn it into a smoother, lighter, softer feel. In addition, is there an expert who can turn a PPK/S into a consummate carry gun, including better sights?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Mike at M&M Gunsmithing in your state, Gadsden I think, might be your best bet. If not, then he might have a recommendation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @GeoNole94 . I've sent him an email to inquire.

If anyone else would like to recommend another gunsmith, please advise.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is it possible to reduce DA trigger pull sufficiently on a PPK? I'm not sure how you could do that without compromising reliability, but then, I'm no gunsmith. I'd like to hear from those who have successfully done this. I would to have a 7-8# DA!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I think many people have unrealistic expectations regarding the double-action pull on PP-series pistols, especially the American-made ones. It is possible to reduce the DA weight somewhat with a lighter hammer spring, but that increases the risk of misfire.

Beyond that, a good deal of fine hand-work is needed to obtain even marginal improvement.

Unless you have pretty strong fingers, you're often better off cocking the hammer manually and firing the first shot single-action.

M

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, I live with it. I figure the only time I'd ever fire DA would be in an up close SD situation, one round before it goes on SA. I don't obsess over that first round. Not sure you can practice around the strong DA pull; never tried to.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
The DA/SA approach to instant, but safe, availability isn't without issues even in modern guns, tho' their DA isn't as heavy as the PP series...it was the first, yes?
That trigger transition, under stress, has been one of the reasons the military and police have changed to strikers, with the same pull all the time. (yeah, there's that cost thing, too...)
Gilly, if you want to feel better about your trigger, try a TPH ;).
Welcome aboard, and listen to Gene and Mike.
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
One aspect of fitting that does make a difference in DA pull of PP-series pistols is the mating of the hammer strut (mainspring guide) with its seat inside the hammer.
The seat is a small crosspin; it governs the hammer rebound function, and influences the initial leverage needed to rock the hammer back.

The expert fitters at Zella-Mehlis and at postwar Manurhin usually got this exactly right; some others who followed were not so gifted.

M

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your comments are very helpful, gentlemen....thank you. I suppose the point about the first shot being under stress in a SD situation sort of negates the need for a buttery smooth first round. In other situations, there might be time to simply cock the hammer. I think I will just practice both.

I just ordered 100 rounds of Federal 102 to see how it does. I'll do a range report once I've put it through the paces.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
One hundred rounds isn't a huge amount of ammo, but it's best to buy in smaller quantities until you're sure what will run in your gun.
The .380s can be finicky eaters.
Moon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One hundred rounds isn't a huge amount of ammo, but it's best to buy in smaller quantities until you're sure what will run in your gun.
The .380s can be finicky eaters.
Moon

Thanks, Moon. Based on my research on this forum, my highest probability of success is with the Federal 102. If the PPK/S doesn't like it, there's always my G42 which will eat anything.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My thoughts are before you take and modify a very well made pistol, practice pulling the hammer back as you’re drawing, raising, aiming the gun. Should have plenty of time. My PPK shoots quite nicely with CCI Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No one has listed Winchester White Box yet so I'll chime in. My Ranger PPK/S loves it. WWB is a 95 grain bullet, flat nose that feeds perfectly for me. I don't find it all that snappy in recoil, your results may vary. Price is right for practice.

Duncan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the extra input, y'all.

And to CORRECT my earlier post, the 100 rounds I ordered for testing in my PPK/S are Remington 102gr Golden Sabre, not Federal. I'll report on how those did after my next trip to the range.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gilly,

Your Remington Golden Saber, 102 grain, is excellent for my PPK/S. The hollow point is about the only one I have found that is 100% functional. It is a heavy weight for .380 which leads to stiffer recoil. I find that it shoots to the same point of impact at 15 to 20 yards as the WWB 95 hardball. However, the Golden Saber is a bit pricey and over engineered for practice, except to test functionality for HP ammo.

My PPK/S was very stiff in the trigger pull as it had hardly been fired when I purchased it. After about 1000 to 1500 rounds it has smoothed out. I'm not saying the DA pull has lessened, but it is very smooth with no gritty points. Maybe I have just gotten use to it, but it feels much better. I like the WWB for fun on paper as it leaves nice holes to show off at the range.

Duncan

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is unholy blasphemy but it seems to work so...

I've been playing with a technique where during that first awful DA trigger pull, I hook the top of my trigger finger with my support thumb to give it an assist. I've noticed during dry fire that my front sight is MUCH less likely to jump somewhere off target this way.

Probably would have to show it for it to make sense

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm 71 with arthritis in my trigger finger an can still pull DA with no problem. I have tried to figure your technique and assume you are cupping your support hand under the butt of the pistol. You're dry firing, hopefully using snapcap.

Might suggest getting a tennis ball, or grip strengthers, to build up hand strength. I picked up one at Target that adjusts from 10 to 50 lbs. I use it both regular and upside down to get all my fingers conditioned. I hope this doesn't sound too critical, but I would work on doing a hammer cock draw if you are having that much trouble in DA.

P.S. If you think the DA is tough on PP pistols never by a FEG P9R. It's like pulling a ox up a cliff, by the tail!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is unholy blasphemy but it seems to work so...

I've been playing with a technique where during that first awful DA trigger pull, I hook the top of my trigger finger with my support thumb to give it an assist. I've noticed during dry fire that my front sight is MUCH less likely to jump somewhere off target this way.

Probably would have to show it for it to make sense

Thanks for your comment, Duncan.

My typical MO when carrying a Glock is to not carry with one in the chamber, and I practice drawing and racking the slide because it's so simple and natural.

But with a PPK/S, I'm thinking that good practice (assuming a round in the chamber) would be to bring support hand up to stabilize pistol while pulling back the hammer. In both situations the support hand is on top of the slide. Mentally, the main hand's thumb could be conditioned to feel for a hammer...and if not, rack the slide (Glock), and if so, cock the hammer and move support hand down.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 71 with arthritis in my trigger finger an can still pull DA with no problem. I have tried to figure your technique and assume you are cupping your support hand under the butt of the pistol. You're dry firing, hopefully using snapcap.

Might suggest getting a tennis ball, or grip strengthers, to build up hand strength. I picked up one at Target that adjusts from 10 to 50 lbs. I use it both regular and upside down to get all my fingers conditioned. I hope this doesn't sound too critical, but I would work on doing a hammer cock draw if you are having that much trouble in DA.

P.S. If you think the DA is tough on PP pistols never by a FEG P9R. It's like pulling a ox up a cliff, by the tail!
Nope, not tea cupping. Thumbs forward grip. I’ve shot striker fire almost exclusively so I will concede that DA/SA is not my jam. The PPK is just a fun range toy

The issue isn’t so much that I can’t pull the DA trigger, it’s that the tension required throws my sights off. This is an older 1970’s ppk/s and the trigger pull is NOT smooth at all. It has a very pronounced sticking point if I pull the trigger slow. So I started experimenting.

If I pull hard and fast I can get past it without sticking, or if I use a super deep trigger pull. Like first finger joint and not the pad at all.

You bring up a good point about the snap caps.. are PPK’s guns that prefer to have snap caps for dry firing?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts