Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this question in the long, stickied PPS M2 Holster thread, but didn't get any response (maybe the wrong place to post a question like this).

Being the new owner of a PPS M2, I'm looking around at options for an OWB clip-style or paddle holster (no belt feed), ideally adjustable for height and cant. I'd love some advice/suggestions.

I'm not really concerned with concealability. I'm looking for OWB option that's practical, comfortable, secure, durable, and easy to use at the range and for other similar outdoor shooting activities.

I'll likely be looking at something for concealed carry a little farther down the line, but for now mostly just what I described above.

OWB or convertible OWB/IWB
Clips (maybe speed clips) or paddle-style (no belt feed) for quick on and off
Adjustability for height and cant

A few options I've seen that seem to have most of what I'm looking for are

AlienGear Cloak Mod OWB
Detroit Metro OWB
Theis Speedy Clip OWB
Vedder ProDraw Paddle OWB (although I'm not sure how much adjustment is available with the Vedder)

Any comments on those that I listed or other suggestions for something that might fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ran across this interesting little holster at the Pasadena Convention Center gun show (near Houston, Texas) this past weekend. It's Holster King's Uni Holster. It's nothing fancy in terms of design, but I was looking for an interim clip-style OWB holster for the PPS M2, and at the $20 gun show price I went ahead and picked one up. They can be used IWB or OWB and conform to various gun sizes and shapes. The sales people and the manufacturer claim the holster will fit almost any handgun, and various demonstrations at the show table and the few places I saw it on the internet seem to support that claim...for what it's worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
The standard choice for IDPA is the Comp-Tac International. It’s worth a look.

https://comp-tac.com/international-holster-belt-paddle-drop-offset-holster-comp-tac/

If you want a step up in quality, at the expense of a waiting time, you could order a JM Custom Kydex holster. You can request a “competition style” by email.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpsVYEHHPiU/

Stay away from Alien Gear. You’ll see their ads everywhere, but there are much better options. Trust me: you’ll end up buying a nice holster eventually. Might as well save your money and not also buy the cheap ones.

Also... That little leather deal you got looks like bad news to me. No retention, no hard coverage around the trigger guard, and a clip that looks anything but secure. I’d be very very cautious using it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the link to the Comp-Tac holster, CalAlumnus. That looks pretty darn close to what I had in mind. Thanks for the JM Custom Kydex holster suggestion as well.

I wasn't sure what to think of the Alien Gear holsters. They seemed to have options similar to what I was looking for, but some of their offerings seem overly complex in certain design aspects, with perhaps weak links in the build chain, perhaps with questionable long-term durability (I don't know).

I am indeed looking for a good holster -- taking my time looking around for one -- just not one that will exceed certain budget constraints. I'm trying to keep my budget in the $100 or less range, but I think there are good holsters to be had for $100 or less, from what I've seen.

Most of my frame of reference for holsters is in terms of older-style leather holsters for revolvers (and older revolvers are what I have). All the handguns I own have leather holsters of older design to fit their respective eras, more or less.

Kydex holsters and holsters made of other similar materials are something I'm just starting to familiarize myself with. I've never really owned a handgun that I felt needed a holster of more modern design based on my personal, mostly recreational shooter status (I go out to the range to shoot on some occasions, I go out to the country on others) and based on the nature of the handguns I own.

On that interim Uni holster I picked up at the gun show, it doesn't seem to be a bad holster for a relatively inexpensive, minimalist holster.

It doesn't have a retention strap or the like to keep the gun in place, but it does have pretty good passive retention via friction. If I held the holster upside down and gave it a hard enough shake, I'm pretty sure I could dislodge the PPS. If I hold it upside down and shake it moderately, the gun stays put. Is it going to pop up and out of the holster if I get jolted fall? I don't think so. Could someone sneak up behind me and reach over and pull the gun out of the holster? Yes, I'm sure someone could do that...but I think that's likely true with quite a few holsters.

The clip is probably better than you might think from the side photo I posted. Once it's hooked over a belt, it's not going to come off easily without pulling out purposefully on the clip to release it from the belt. It's got pretty strong tension and what I'd have to refer to as a detent piece beneath its lip that gives it a solid hold unless the clip is pulled out far enough to allow the belt to clear the detent.

Here are a couple of pics of the hidden parts of the clip not visible from the photo I posted.

In any case, that holster is just for interim use until I find what I'd really like to use for the PPS. I know that quite a few of the holsters available for the PPS M2 have a bit of a waiting period for delivery, and I'm pretty sure the waits might be even longer given that we're in the middle of the holiday season. For the moment, what I have in hand seems better than having no holster at all, and I think it will serve its intended purpose for the time being.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow-up, I ordered the Comp-Tac International OWB Holster for the PPS M2 via Optics Planet, and with discounts got it for a final price of $52 with free shipping. Heck of a good deal, I think. Available only in black from Optics Planet, but that was fine with me for that price. ;)

Al

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received the Comp-Tac International Holster, and I think I'm going to be very happy with it based on initial impressions. Relatively compact and versatile with the ability to convert from belt mount to paddle mount via three screws. Drop offset provided (if needed or desired). Adjustable cant. Heck of a holster and in the price range I was looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good luck with your Comp-Tac International. I have their Minotour IWB holster for my PPS and it works great for me. I also am a big fan of Theis holsters - very high quality, and customer service that is second to none. I almost went with the Speedy Clip OWB, but ended up with the EZ-Clip holster, which I can wear IWB or OWB without any trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.