Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my gal is carrying my SIG P232. Her primary concern is the weight of the gun. The P232 empty is about 17oz. DAO or DA/SA isn’t a factor.

Given these params, is there a Walther model that’s a reliable shooter but doesn’t stray far from about 18oz empty weight and can draw smooth from a purse?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Closest modern Walther would be the PPS, and closest older one a PPK or PPK/S.
Otherwise, Glock 42/43, or Sig P365.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The P99c is 21oz, which IMO isn't TOO much heavier than 17oz (YMMV, of course), is quite reliable, and holds 10+1 of 9mm. I would think that if the plan is a purse holster/dedicated pocket, the fact that it's a few ounces heavier wouldn't be a dealbreaker (for that matter, depending on the purse, it might not be unreasonable to suggest a full size P99 or PPQ), but obviously I'm not your wife, so she may feel differently.

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
If possible have her rent a few or borrow a few weapons from friends.

This will partially answer some of her questions. She should determine what weapons she feels most comfortable with that fit her life style (and yes fashion is part of that for some after all if one won't wear it, one won't carry it).

Than have her look into a dedicated carry purse. They are designed with special hidden pockets that are easily accessible to hold a weapon securely.

While my wife usually carries in a belt or shoulder holster when in pants, if in a dress it is often easier to carry in a dedicated carry purse with a specially designed pocket for her weapon.

BTW she carries a PPK(7.65), PPK/S(9mmk) or P99c(9mm) depending upon need. Likes and shoots all three well.

Reactions: Caine and Redcat94

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The P232 is listed as weighing 520g most places I can find.

• The PPS weighs 548g unloaded and 716g loaded.
  • P99c weighs 552g unloaded and 740g loaded.
  • The lightest automatic that is in a self-defense load is the LCP in 380 at 252g unloaded and 352g fully loaded.
  • The lightest revolver, from a solid company, is the 442 Airweight at 428g unloaded and 494g loaded.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
My question is, if she's happy with the P232 why switch? I don't see anything in your post indicating that the P232 isn't working for her at 18 ounces, but that it's not a Walther.

If weight is the primary consideration, and the P232's 18 ounces is just right, then stick with the P232 would be my advice. It's as solid a weapon as you're going to find.

But if she wants something lighter, which is not really indicated in the original post, here are my reviews two possible contenders:

Pocket Pistol Week — Colt Mustang (empty weight with magazine 12.58 ounces/357 grams; .380 ACP)

Pocket Pistol Week — Beretta Tomcat (empty weight with magazine 15.72 ounces/446 grams; .32 ACP)

And a shooting comparison between the two: that includes size comparisons with the Walther PPK/S and PPK

Fun Firearms Friday — Pocket Pistol Shootout: Colt Mustang vs. Beretta Tomcat

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
My question is, if she's happy with the P232 why switch? I don't see anything in your post indicating that the P232 isn't working for her at 18 ounces, but that it's not a Walther.

If weight is the primary consideration, and the P232's 18 ounces is just right, then stick with the P232 would be my advice. It's as solid a weapon as you're going to find.
Spot on. If she likes the P232 and can shoot it, why not let her keep it? You then have the fun task of buying a different gun for yourself or finding another P232. Done.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
Great article. One oddity: The PPK is lighter than the PPK/s in ounces but heavier in grams.:confused:
PPK/s: Weight with empty 7-round .380 ACP magazine/9mm kurz: 23.6 ounces/627 grams
PPK: Weight with empty 7-round .32 ACP magazine: 22.1 ounces/669 grams

Good catch. I'll fix that straight away.

·
Registered
602 Posts

That's exactly what I would have thought. It might be best for her to stick with what she has. In any case I don't think the OP will find what he's (she's) looking for in the Walther World, at least in terms of weight.

For reference, here are some real-world “on my kitchen scales” weights of the two nearest Walther contenders:

PPS Classic, steel sights, large backstrap, unloaded (PPS M2 is not significantly different in weight):

with 6-round magazine: 612g
with 7-round mag.: 615g
with 8-round mag.: 621g

P99c AS, steel sights, large backstrap, unloaded:

with flush 10-round magazine: 621g
with finger-extension 10-round mag.: 623g
with 15-round PPQ/P99 mag. including plastic extension sleeve: 650g

There are, of course, lighter pistols with the Walther name on them but the quality of materials/workmanship/reliability would not be comparable with the above two, nor with the SIG Sauer P232.

Balor

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I really appreciate the feedback. I’m absolutely good with her staying with my blued P232. We were looking at a few styles not long ago and I’m looking to buy her a new gun as a Christmas or birthday present. As I was asking various probing questions it was all about weight with her and then style came in second. She carries her CCW purse with her always.

The second issue was her P938. It fell out of disfavor with her over a couple things: one was the degree of difficulty in field stripping/cleaning it. She accidentally moved the safety when the slide was off the frame, sending the detente flying and lost forever. Also the effort to get the slide seated back on the frame was difficult for her. The other, and I agree with her on this one as her gun is usually with full mag and one in the pipe, was that a round dropped out of the frame every time she removed the mag. It never had a FTF but seeing that bullet drop wasn’t the greatest thing to see.

So, the PPS looks like a possibility. The other two are the Bersa Thunder and the Beretta Tomcat.

The responses were awesome and I appreciate it.

@ UE: Im reading your articles now!

Reactions: UniversalExports

·
Registered
602 Posts
So, the PPS looks like a possibility.
The PPS is a well-made, reliable pistol and you'll find lots of positive feedback from users, both on this forum and elsewhere.

However, in it's basic configuration (i.e. with the 6-round flush magazine) it weighs 612g/21.6oz, whereas your alluminium-frame P232 has a spec. weight of 499g/17.6oz. That's a difference of 113g/4oz. You could shave off some weight (but not much) by using the small backstrap instead of the large one (on my spec.) and by having the plastic sights which, I believe, come as standard on the USA models. If I'm wrong on this last point, I hope someone will jump in and correct me.

The point I'm trying to make is that if your wife is not happy with the weight of the P232 she might tire very quickly of lugging an extra 4oz. around - and then you're back to square one.

Well, not quite........ You can have the PPS all to yourself!

Balor

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CCP, esp. for a woman. Easy to rack slide and most women don't clean their own guns, so hubby will have to clean it.

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ccp/

https://www.gunbuyer.com/wal-5080301-ccp-9mm-3-5in-ss-8rd-92741.html
Not me brother! I don’t clean her firearms. :)

When she got her license, the first thing she learned after our trip to the range was how to field strip and clean the gun she used. Its just that one-hand maneuver holding the slide just so when trying to get that slide lock inserted that is problematic. Lack of hand strength...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
We both had the dickens of a time putting her P938 and her former, now mine, Kimber Micro 9 back together without the guide rod poking out an inch afterwards, until we figured out the trick on where to push down and back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Small high quality light weight

You should look at the Kahr P9, small but very easy to shoot
7 rd mag +1, Polygonal barrel, weight is 15 oz + mag 1.9 oz. Super smooth finish for holstering or bag carry. Very high quality, small and light weight. IMHO. I do own some Walther's and do like my 1960's PP in .32 cal. in like new condition with orig. box. Former police carry gun in Europe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not trying to steer you away from Walther but my wife carries a SIG P938 which has a sister the P238 weighing in at 16oz. Currently on sale with laser at Bud’s for $498 (cash sale). I actually carried the P938 as a backup for a while, very nice gun but momma decided it fit her better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The new, best-friend of the strength-challenged is the S&W M&P 380 EZ. Truly easy to rack, easy to shoot with good sight distance, easy to load, and very easy to take apart (and put back) for cleaning. Locally, several have been purchased as gifts to great effect.
At a NRA class, I watched a woman shoot EZ for the first time. At first, shots were spread, after 50 rounds she and EZ were doing very well. Available with a thumb safety or without. Wholesale houses tend to be sold out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The new, best-friend of the strength-challenged is the S&W M&P 380 EZ. Truly easy to rack, easy to shoot with good sight distance, easy to load, and very easy to take apart (and put back) for cleaning. Locally, several have been purchased as gifts to great effect.
At a NRA class, I watched a woman shoot EZ for the first time. At first, shots were spread, after 50 rounds she and EZ were doing very well. Available with a thumb safety or without. Wholesale houses tend to be sold out.

I was going to mention the S&W M&P 380 EZ, except that it is a larger pistol than the Walther PPS/PPS M2. If that is not a problem, then maybe take a look at it. But, I would say for small, accurate, reliable, and in a good self-defense caliber - the PPS M2 is very hard to beat. It is easy to filed strip, clean, and to put back together. There are plenty of sights and holsters out there for it these days. My vote is for the Walther PPS M2.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts