Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth installing a tungsten guide rod? Are there aftermarket springs that help? I keep hearing of P99s that have built-in compensators?

I'm starting out IPSC and since double taps are essential, this recoil issue will be my undoing. Is the P99 considered to have a high barrel axis, thus leading to this recoil?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Also, what caliber, are your shooting 40 or 9mm.  IMHO the 40 kicks and rises like hell, but the 9mm is pretty tame.

There is not built in internal recoil reducer and the bore axis is fairly low, similar to Glock and way lower that Sigs.

A heavy guide rod will help, but also choose the lightest grain bullet weight to reduce muzzle flip.  When shooting a heavy grain bullets out the barrel the reverse energy goes to muzzle flip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using all the base stuff.

Federal 115gr in 9mm. I'm using the Weaver stance so i guess i'll have to push/pull a bit more.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tungsten guide rods reduce muzzle rise. They don't add enough weight to moderate recoil. Heavier springs can cause stoppages and require heavier power loads to function properly. Compensators can offer some benefits, it has to have a certain amount of high velocity gas to be effective - the 9mm Luger isn't considered to gain enough benefit from compensators.

Too much is made of high bore axis and the P99 doesn't have a very high axis. I sits lower in the hand than most pistols.

Don't buy accessories to try to improve, buy ammo and a timer. Start out with slow and deliberate presentations. Shoot slowly and correctly every time. Slowly improve your times without rushing and your will become smooth and quick. That is the only method that really works. With proper techniques, you can shoot a full power .357 Magnum snubbie fast and accurately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i figured that i can compensate most of the recoil effect by using proper technique so i'll try to improve that first. Was just wondering if there are any accessories that might help.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I installed the Sprinco "Recoil Reducer" guide rod, but not for that purpose. I just wanted a metal guide rod. I didn't notice a change in the percieved recoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts