Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I have a 2000 P99 9mm. I shot it when I bought it, in 2000, and have recently become interested in shooting it again! Upon cleaning the gun to get ready to shoot, I find that I have a silver recoil spring in the gun and a spare brown recoil spring! I seem to remember that Walther sent me the brown recoil spring along with a nice letter thanking me for my purchase and pointing out that the gun was designed for 124 gr hot EURO ammo, not 115 gr less hot American ammo! I  believe their instructions were to use the original silver recoil spring for 124gr EURO ammo and the brown spring for 115gr American ammo. Can anyone verify that the silver spring is for heavier bullets and the brown spring for lighter? Is it necessary to change spring to shoot the 115gr bullets?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes. That is correct.

You might try shooting the 115's with the silver colored spring. I've tried it and mine works just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Dec. 13 2004,9:11)]Yes.  That is correct.

You might try shooting the 115's with the silver colored spring.  I've tried it and mine works just fine.
P88, You were correct! I shot over 250 rds of various American made 115 gr 9mm's thru the P99 using the original silver recoil spring without a hitch! Thanks for the advice!

Nocturnal, yes, Euro ammo is generally hotter than American made ammo!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TexBond @ Dec. 15 2004,4:33)]P88, You were correct! I shot over 250 rds of various American made 115 gr 9mm's thru the P99 using the original silver recoil spring without a hitch! Thanks for the advice!
Good! I'm glad to hear it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P88, I notice that you have a pre-war PPK! So do I, mine was made in 1938 and brought to the US by my Grandfather as he and my Grandmother left Germany to escape the Nazi's! It has been passed down in my family thru the generations. Came with German ammo, case, holster, and a German manual! It has some holster wear, but functions well, I've used it twice in the last 4 years to qualify for CHL. I'd be interested in knowing about your pre-war PPK.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
TB,

Sounds like you have a really nice PPK and quite the story to go with it. I love PPK's. I've had a few others over the years and out of all the guns that I've traded, I miss them the most.

Mine was made around the same time (1938). I bought it last year from someone on this board whose grandfather had brought it back with him from the war. Supposedly taken off a German officer. The guy didn't know much more than that. He said there were some papers with it at one time, but he hadn't seen them for a long time. He wanted to sell it so he could buy something nice for his grandmother.

It's a very nice gun. Typical holster wear. The grips are slightly warped near the slide and there is a small crack on the back of the grip at the top. The grips are also a lighter motled brown color than I've ever seen on a PPK from that era. Usually the grips are darker.

I did take it out and shoot it once. It ran flawlessly and gave me some nice small groups. I think I ran maybe 20 rounds through it, then I brought it home, totally dissassembled it down to its bare components and cleaned it up really good, put it back together and now I just admire it every now and then.
I may take it out and shoot it again sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts