Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am sorry to ask a non-p99 recoil question but I noticed that you guys have more than one brand of firearms

I noticed also that some of you have a Kahr as a back-up. I have and love p99 in .40 SW and frankly I get better accuracy with this one than my p99 9mm. Recoil was never a problem, I hardly feel a difference.

Enter Kahr p40, which I bought as CCW because I really have problems concealing the p99s I have (I would gladly carry them instead). I like the little fella but recoil bothers me enormously. I realize that the problem may be my own shooting experience (which is very limited), stance, grip etc.

I consider trading my plastic Kahr P40 for their all-steel K40. I really hope somebody here has experience with both and can compare. I assumed that greater weight in the same small package will help to absorb recoil and control the pistol better (24 vs 16.8 ounces). I'd like to keep it .40 SW as well (they have P9 for 9mm).

Or could it be anything I can do to improve my control over a little beast? It is especially frustrating given my 'love affiar' with p99 in .40 SW.

Sorry again for non-p99 topic! I couldn't find any Kahr forum out there. You are my only friends in the 'gun world'

Thanks in advance,
Val

·
Registered
144 Posts
Val,

Not really a direct answer to your questiion .... I have experience with Kahr K9 and P9, not their .40 caliber, but I understand what you meant.

Between their steel and polymer versions, the P series is definitely easier and more comfortable to carry concealed for long period of time each day, the K series is honestly heavy considered its overall size. I also noticed a much more significant muzzle flip from the P9 and made the subsequent shots slower; I tried different weights of cartridges and resutls were the same. Guess it's the law of physics, not much we can do about that due to the light weight in P series. I would imagine firing the .40 is more noticeable than the 9mm in muzzle flip. Another thing is, if you look at the magazine well and the frame closely, in both metal and polymer versions, it makes me wonder why Kahr didn't design a higher capacity magazine? It seems there is room for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts