Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello girls,
I've got a chance to purchase a 4" .40 PPQ M2 at a really good price and it's only had 50 rounds through it. I would be getting it for a fun range gun but I'm concerned about how much recoil the .40 PPQ has over a 9mm PPQ which I have already. Thanks for any information.

Btw, my buddy has it and said if I wanted it to keep & not just to sell, I could have it for $300. Thanks,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
300 bucks?????? SOLD!!!!!!

I've got a few Q's in 40....4" and 5". Sure, its a little snappier than the 9....but if your hands and wrist are OK, meaning no arthritis .... go for it.

I've also got a 4" 40 running a 357 Sig conversion barrel. Its a blast. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, $300 bucks and I didn't know until I just called him, but he bought a 3rd pinky mag to go with it. I called to tell him I'd take it.

No sir, my hands are certainly not like when I was 40 or 50 but I use them every day and lift weights every day with them, light weights.

Jim D

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
The 40s a little snappier. Just enough recoil to keep it interesting. I don't think you'll have a problem. If it turns out you don't like it, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yeah, there are deals a plenty on 40s........

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/791790499

Nice SIG, German frame, Stainless slide, new SIG night sights.

I'll bet this goes un-bid on, and gets re-listed with a min-bid ~$50 lower.

It's already less then 1/2 what I sold my P227 (45acp) for.

Wish I liked 40s&w, deals galore.

Reactions: BCD45

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The .40 is a silly caliber and by that I mean, no one really currently wants them. Willing to bet if you took that gun to a shop they would offer him $200...maybe $250 for it. I know, it’s a shame. I will check on Sunday.

We won’t even take a 40 any more. They sit on the shelf.

All that being said, for $300, I would buy it from him. But it’s really just a $300 gun. A new one can be had for $450 and then might pay freight and transfer. At least at $300 you can get most of your money back from it when you sell it. So for that reason, it’s a good buy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You know, when they first came out the .40 was the new "wonder" caliber and just about everyone waned one. I wonder why the decline in interest? Is it they have started making much better 9mm ammo?

If you and your families life was on the line against an intruder had you rather have a 9mm with 124 gr. HST's in your hands or a .40 with 165 or 180 gr. HST"s? I guess I'm old school and don't have the knowledge to know better but if shtf I would rather have the .40. That's the reason my bedside gun is a PPQ .45. That being said, I'd rather shoot at the range my 9mm's.

Thank you all and have a wonderful Xmas and stay safe.

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Simply put, the 40 is out of fashion. There are some reasons for it like....the 40 is harder on guns, the 40 is harder for some LEO shooters to qualify with, 9mm ammo is better now, the realization is there is not a lot of difference in terminal effects between the common service gun calibers so you might as well go with the one you shoot the best, is cheaper, and holds more rounds, ...

All that being said, I don't hear anybody saying the 40 is ineffective. The current thinking is the increase in performance is marginal and is not worth the increased recoil, decreased capacity, cost per round, ...

The 40 works. It's not the magic bullet people touted it as back in the day though and is now out if fashion.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I agree with above 100%.

You cannot properly assess a caliber without looking at all 3 types of ballistics.....

1) Internal. How it feeds, fires, cycles the slide, extracts, ejects.

2) External. All aspects of projectile from barrel to target.

3) Terminal. All aspects of projectile movement and deformation inside the intended target.

IMHO, the 40s&w has some undesirable aspects in #1, internal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This has nothing to do with defense or real life shootings but you may or may not find this interesting. Don't jump to the wrong conclusion, I love my 9mm's and enjoy shooting them.

I live on the coast in Texas and when I was younger I had a 25 foot center console boat and I took people and friends offshore in the Gulf of Mexico fishing. On the way in from fishing for the day we would use our left over bait and chum and fish for sharks. Everyone wanted to keep 2 or 3 for shark steaks.The unwanted ones we simply cut the line but the 1 or 2 we'd keep were usually between 100 to 200 pounds. Those, when on top of the water next to the boat, I would shoot before bringing them on-board.

Which brings me to the pistols I used. I would shoot them at close range right in the top of the head. Every shark I ever shot with a .40 or .45, the fight was over instantly. Occasionally that would happen with a 9mm but usually they would run off 50 to 100 yards of line and it would take a 2nd or 3rd shot to finish the job. One day I took my PPK 380 with 95 gr. Corbon's and I had to shoot a 150# black tip shark 6 times before we could bring him in the boat. I used HP bullets in all instances.

Like I said, this has nothing to do with personal defense but it's the closest thing I've experienced with a handgun and a wild creature.

Jim D

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Yummm. Blacktip shark, soaked in buttermilk overnight, Durkee Onion Ring Batter coating, deep fried.

Everyone who I have made this for has said it's the best thing they've eaten from the Ocean/Gulf.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deut,
I can see you know how to cook and know your way around a kitchen. I used to keep 2 freezers full of fish. Snapper, shark, ling (Cobia), redfish, trout, & of course some crappie. Your correct, yum, yum.

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you can understand why VHS outsold BETA run you will know why the 9 outsells the 40. Performance wise, the BETA and the 40 are both superior, but VHS and 9 have won out. The only reason? Because people simply bought more if one over the other. Which then creates demand and ultimately leads to standardization.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
VHS won the consumers over because they could record 2 hours of video on 1 cassette. A Betamax cassette would only hold 1 hour. Betamax was technically superior, but the 1 hour limit killed it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
IF recoil ends up being an issue . . . . . Think "MAG-NA-PORT"

had 4 . . .40cals . . did the porting on 2 of them . . .results . . . WHAT jump ? ? ?
and it barely went off target !
Sig p229 40 cal & S&W 4056 were ported.
Still have 3 40 cals SA EMP 40 4", Sig p229 40, S&W CS40

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that 50 AE your new pocket carry gun???

Jim D

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
I agree with above 100%.

You cannot properly assess a caliber without looking at all 3 types of ballistics.....

1) Internal. How it feeds, fires, cycles the slide, extracts, ejects.

2) External. All aspects of projectile from barrel to target.

3) Terminal. All aspects of projectile movement and deformation inside the intended target.

IMHO, the 40s&w has some undesirable aspects in #1, internal.
Very well said DUA. My issue with the .40 is your point #1. The little bit of extra oomph related to #2 is not worth dealing with the issues related to #1. This is especially true with the best loads in 9mm.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts