Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the recoil on the p99 40? I was at a gunshop and they were telling me that the walther's recoil in the 40 is a little harsh and he would recommend the 9mm. I wasn't even asking about the recoil. Was he just being a sissy or is the recoil a little hard on the walther 40?

Correct me if I'm wrong about the walther's trigger....
the AS vs QA......I know the AS is a DA/SA. It has a long heavy first pull and is light after that. As long as there is a round in the chamber it will always fire when you pull the trigger. And The QA has the same trigger pull every time but my question is after you rack the slide can you decock it but still fire the first round? How does the QA work?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My .40 has a pretty serious recoil compared to other .40s that I have fired. Sprinco however makes a recoil supression kit for the P99 that you can find here..... ->Sprinco

just scroll near the bottom to get to the walther selsctions.

Hope this helps.
-richard

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The QA does have a decocker......
however if the gun is decocked you need to rack the slide 1/4 of a inch or so back to precock the striker again in order to fire the first shot
also if you have a bad primer you can not pull the trigger again due to the striker not being precocked again by the cycling of the slide
For devense I would stick with the P99/AS

·
Registered
821 Posts
The .40 in the P99 is a bit harsh, but not SO much worse than, say a Glock or a SIG to where its harder to shoot well.

Recoil is a very subjective thing, you might want to try to find one to rent first.

That being said, I recently shot a friend's 9mm P99 right next to my .40 and REALLY liked how smooth the 9mm was.

Furthermore, modern 9mm defensive loads are no slouch when it comes to effectiveness.  Just stay away from hydrashok!  

If I had to do it over, I'd probably have bought the 9mm.  BUT, I love my .40 P99, and technically, it is a better performer than the 9mm.  If you're learning, I'd say go with the 9mm.

Other's have answered your QA question very well.

-stunks

·
Registered
333 Posts
With recoil...........remember one of the laws of physics --
dealing with motion

For every action....... there is an opposite and equal reaction

Which translates into ....the harder your weapon is punching you.....the harder it will be hitting your target.

So I am not looking for comfort.......only controllability and any of the Walthers will give you that ability -- no matter the Caliber. Just might take some extra practice -- but that's where the fun comes in !!

JF.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have three P99s, all AS type trigger, 9mm, .40sw, and 9mm compact.

I don't think the .40 recoil is bad at all when shooting 180gr blazer aluminum. Firm grip and focus on getting back on target and I don't notice. I think I shoot my full sized .40 at least as well as my full size 9.

My 9mm compact is fun to shoot with 115gr plinking ammo, but isn't fun at all when I switch to 124gr +P gold dot. I shoot decently with it, but not nearly as well as I do with either of my full sized.

Don

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am also a sissy, the p99 recoil in 40 is harsh, about the same as a Glock 23.  With the G23 I used a Hogue slip on grip that helped quite a bit, I don't know if you can use that on a P99.  If you really want a 40 without heavy recoil, check out the Witness compact all steel.  It's heavier, but a sweet shooter. And has a great grip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mentioned in another post about the felt recoil on my wife's P99 (9mm) being slightly crisper and harsher than my Sig 226.

I did have a chance to shoot a friends H&K USP .40 and it is almost as soft as my 9mm Sig.  Still a poly frame, but with the double spring recoil system, I didn't realize I was shooting a .40 and not a 9mm.

It is not on my "Must have" list of handguns, but if my list were filled and I found a USP at a good price, I would probably jump at it and I'm not a huge fan of the .40 S&W chambering.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My P99 .40 is my first and so far only handgun. I fired several other guns before buying this one but I chose .40 for that little something extra that it offers over the 9mm. In CA of course I'm limited to 10 rd mags so I'd rather have 10 .40s than 10 9mms. In a few months we're moving to CT and that restriction goes away. I will probably pick up a high cap 9mm handgun as well.

As far as the harhness goes, well, yeah, it's a bit harsh. But any healthy, reasonably fit human being should be able to handle it. My wife (small framed) had no real trouble with it. I then fired a basic 1911 from springfield and that made me appreciate my 'little' P99 a whole lot more. It's sooo much more comfortable to shoot. That said, to me my handgun was not about comfort. I wouldn't get out to shoot it a whole lot (it's been months unfortunately) and I cared more about performance (making holes in bad guys).

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first shot with a .40AS /w 165grn Winchester FMJ...

I limped wirsted it, the sharp torque of that the bullet hitting the grooves and the recoil... well, I about got a case in the eye.

Considering that the P99 tends to eject straight out to the right, and Im 6'4" med build. Yeah, It has a good kick.

You might want to test fire one first, if you are concerned about the recoil. I love my P99 though.

Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
539 Posts
How'd you get one in your eye when you were wearing shooting glasses? I mean, you -were- wearing shooting glasses, right?

Anyway, stories like that validate my NRA instructors advise to always load only 1 round in the mag when you shoot a new gun for the first time. You never know how it will feel and how you'll respond.

I hope you didn't hurt your eye.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont need shooting specs! My "Space Ghost" mask/hood always protects me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy

I just found this forum and it looks as if it might have some potential for some added info for my P99 Titanium. It shoots great, probably the most accurate plastic pistol I've ever owned. Only problem is the trigger wears on my trigger finger. Anyone else have this discomfort after only a few rounds? Thanx.

Wulf

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The trigger or the hump in the trigger guard? Some have removed the hump, others have smoothed out the trigger face.

Hard to tell without more info. How does it hurt your finger and where?

·
Registered
471 Posts
For me the answer on the trigger pinch was to remove ever so carefully the little roll at the tip of the trigger. It took awhile for me to figure out exactly what was pinching my finger. It turned out NOT to be the trigger guard hump. I'm glad I didn't remove it first... Your millage may vary, but do look carefully... If I had not of said anything, no one would be the wiser. It would take VERY close examination of the trigger to even see what I did, but it worked for me...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lonewulf13, You might also look to see if the rub/pinch you are getting is from the mag release. That is what rubs on the end of my trigger finger.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I never found the .40 to be bad at all,but then again I started with .357's and .45's.My pistol has always been a pleasure to shoot smooth and very manageable

1 - 20 of 20 Posts