Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a DPM recoil system for my PPQ. Anyone out there had any ( good or bad ) experience with them. I don't want to spend on a gimmick.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I wouldn't describe the DPM as a gimmick but the comparison testing I used in my PPQ 45 resulted in very slight differences compared to the OE RSA. I ultimately decided to use the DPM with the longest of the three springs provided.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
First I'd hope that you have run at least 500 to a thousand rounds through your Q before looking at a different RSA unless you have a very specific need.
That being said DPM is OK but if you want to see a real change in recoil I'd suggest looking into the SprinCo RSA. Alan makes a great system and will actually get on the phone and help you fine tune your weapon to suit your individual needs.
I've found Alan's system allows me to reacquire my targets much faster which means faster strings. This is very important with a duty weapon. His system is extremely reliable and I have had no failures with the system except those induced for training purposes.

Reactions: ifish42na

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
That being said DPM is OK but if you want to see a real change in recoil I'd suggest looking into the SprinCo RSA. Alan makes a great system and will actually get on the phone and help you fine tune your weapon to suit your individual needs.
Are you running the Sprinco on both 9mm and the 45? With the 45 does Alan have multiple springs similar to DPM and if so which one did you go with?

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I've found the Q45 is such a soft shooter the only thing I need on it is a BT guide rod. I don't believe Alan has made a satisfactory RSA for the Q45 yet. He has been experimenting for a few years but has not found quite the exact right combination for a reliably cycling system.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I've found the Q45 is such a soft shooter the only thing I need on it is a BT guide rod. I don't believe Alan has made a satisfactory RSA for the Q45 yet. He has been experimenting for a few years but has not found quite the exact right combination for a reliably cycling system.
I was hoping Alan had finally found the "perfect" design for the 45. I agree the 45 is a relative "soft" recoiler and that is probably why the DPM provides a minor improvement.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
You could always call Alan and ask if he's given up on the project.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Interesting you guys find the Q45 a “soft” shooter...hahaha. IMO it’s not BUT the recoil is very manageable, and follow up shots are quick. Once you grip the gun correctly and really hold onto it.

I don’t buy into these recoil reducers but than again I’ve never tried one, and never will. Hopefully you don’t want to install this on the 9mm....

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
go...to each his own.
Due to an injury I am a one handed shooter and have a specific use for Alan's RSAs. I use them on my work Navy Q 9mm and would use one on my Q45 if Alan made one for it. I have them on my P99 9mm too. If they weren't completely reliable I wouldn't mount them. I didn't mount them for EDC or duty use until I had thoroughly tested them. I love the faster target reacquisition they allow me.

As to the Q45 being a soft shooter, like I said, I'm a one handed shooter and even before I mounted a BT guide rod in my Q45 I found it extremely soft and easily manageable. I have no trouble with three and four round rapid fire strings.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You have a pre existing condition so yeah, I see your reasoning behind running a RSA. That totally makes sense.
I don’t think it’s a soft shooter in comparison to a steel framed 45acp variant, but I still enjoy shooting it A LOT and don’t struggle shooting it much at all.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
You could always call Alan and ask if he's given up on the project.
I spoke with Alan over 2 years ago and at that time he said he was devoting full attention to the 45 version and would have it ready by the Shot show. My guess is he dropped it.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
The last time I spoke to him he said he just couldn't get it to cycle reliably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking at a DPM recoil system for my PPQ. Anyone out there had any ( good or bad ) experience with them. I don't want to spend on a gimmick.
i am running one in my ppq and it does help however i find it to be only a slight difference. i get similar results with a stainless steel rod set up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use the DPM system in my Q5 Match poly frame. It's definitely not a gimmick and tames full powered ammo somewhat, changing/softening the recoil impulse. That said it is NOT for light loads or minor PF ammo even when using the shortest spring provided. My Q5 always cycles properly with the DPM system and full powered loads, but will stovepipe often using light/ minor PF ammo. Therefore I use the DPM system for regular and practice ammo and switch to the stock recoil spring/guide rod or my BT guide rod with the orange recoil spring when I'm shooting minor PF loads.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have posted re DPM and results vs other rsa. I can say the DPM was the best but read my posts and look at YouTube for videos of it. You cant go wrong with DPM.
J

·
Registered
71 Posts
My experience was it didn't make any difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts