Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
I have a Super with the gold anodized trigger guard; had it since '72, new. Neat little gun, no idea why I hang on to it, except it is a neat little gun.

What kind of money are they commanding these days?
Nice writeup, UE'.
Moon

Reactions: UniversalExports

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, HalfMoonClip. Glad you enjoyed the write-up.

You definitely want to hang onto your Super Bearcat. I'm guessing that one in very good condition will probably command around $550 . . . if you never sent it back to Ruger for the transfer bar retrofit. Please tell me you kept yours unmodified.

The one I picked up in May went for $400, but the gun store owner didn't realize it was a Super until I told him. And, yes, it's unmodified. These Supers were only made for about thirty-one months — June 1971-January 1973. Of the 64,000 made, the first 37,000 had the previous Bearcat's anodized trigger guard.

Interesting story on why the Super Bearcats were discontinued has it that the gun was inadvertently left out of Ruger's 1974 catalog, and nobody at Ruger noticed the omission. The story, according to Bill Ruger in an interview with the Ruger Collector's Association in the early '80s, goes that when no orders were registered for the gun, everyone just assumed that demand suddenly died. Consequently the Super Bearcat was dropped entirely from the line until the Bearcat was reintroduced in 1993.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
Mine remains unmodded, and I have no particular desire to be rid of it. Had a Colt .22SAA previously, with the alloy frame, and passed on a color-case steel gun (I didn't like the color case; I was young and dumb, and really wish I had gotten that).
The steel Bearcat seems the most caliber appropriate .22 revo. Realize that folks like a centerfire trainer for bigger SAs, but the Bearcat's tiny size is part of its appeal.
Great story about dropping it from the catalog. Had wondered what became of them!
Moon

Reactions: UniversalExports
1 - 4 of 4 Posts