Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to Steve Bedair who I know from my Sig days for making another quality product. Send him your OEM P99 (full size model) captured recoil spring assembly and he will retrofit it (the spring) on to a stainless steel rod. It is exceptionally well-made as are all Steve's products. It adds weight to the gun which should result in less muzzle flip/felt recoil (that's a good thing since I experience tendinitis in the elbow aggravated by shooting and too much time on the computer) and an overall more robust part - not that there is anything inherently wrong with the plastic OEM rod - I just feel more confident with Steve's. Your call as to what's best for you. Here it is:

You can email Steve at: [email protected] or www.guiderod.com

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have Steve's SS guide rods in a number of my guns, and he's absolutely top notch, but I think I'm going to let my Walthers be.

Q

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have his s/s rods in my Sigs and they are the best.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a fellow that is making a similar component for the Steyrr MA1 and they are very popular. 'Takes the OEM recoil spring and retrofits it on to a compressed s/s rod. Like Steve's it remains a captured recoil spring assembly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Like Steve's it remains a captured recoil spring assembly.
So you are saying when the spring weakens , you must throw away the metal guide rod ...........or send it back to Steve to retro -fit ???

The guide rod assembly is a wear item ......meant to be discarded after the recoil spring no longer functions well.

The best scenario would be a guide rod that can be fitted easily by the owner with a fresh recoil spring when needed. Maybe Steve's SS guide rod functions in this manner.

JF.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So you are saying when the spring weakens , you must throw away the metal guide rod ...........or send it back to Steve to retro -fit ???

The guide rod assembly is a wear item ......meant to be discarded after the recoil spring no longer functions well.

The best scenario would be a guide rod that can be fitted easily by the owner with a fresh recoil spring when needed. Maybe Steve's SS guide rod functions in this manner.

JF.
A typical captured recoil guide assembly designed for a Glock, Walther, Steyr, etc. is different than a non-captured 1911 coil recoil spring - 16-20# whatever. It's effective flat spring life is longer and thus the spring need not be changed as often. You can literally go thousands of rounds with the same captured recoil spring assembly unless of course the non-spring components break prematurely as was the case with my OEM Glock captured recoil assembly in a Glock 27. And for under $40 assuming you like a metal after-market rod vs. plastic for whatever reason, if you amortize the cost, you're not talkin' big bucks. I am using the same captured s/s (from Glockmeister) recoil spring assembly in my G23 after over 3k rounds (might even be 4K rounds, I lost count - that would be about 3 spring changes in my Nighthawk Enforcer II 1911. Having said that, Steve can always change just the spring I believe using the original SS rod. Just send him a new spring or easier yet, a complete OEM plastic recoil spring assembly. Better yet, ask him. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Email from Steve Bedair to me received a little while ago:

I just read the questions on the thread and yes the recoil spring can be changed on the stainless guide rod.The stainless rod has a threaded tip that can be removed. This can be a little difficult without the proper tools (the tip was assembled with medium strength LocTite). Send the rod and new recoil spring and I replace it for free and I'll ship it back Priority USPS mail for free also. Thanks again, Steve

Can't ask for more than that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's outstanding service !! .......... and worth the effort if the metal rod is a big deal to the shooter.

But don't discount the need to be careful about the round count on your recoil spring......... a few thousand rounds is nothing to a serious shooter.

My close combat defensive shooting course [ 12 range lessons ] require over 2 thousand rds. to pass ............. so the round count can "fly" by when you are having fun ! :)

I normally buy recoil springs & rods 3 at a time to save on shipping and handling ......... after about 6 thousand rds. - I change them. The 3 recoil springs will last me a year of shooting my P-99 .40 Of course, with the price of ammo continuously on the rise - I might have to cut back on my shooting a little bit ;)

JF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts