Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that the pistols are identical other than sight radius and barrel length.

I currently have a 4" and an SC. I love both. I have an opportunity to pick up a 5" but wonder if my desire to collect all things PPQ overshadows the fact that the 5" isn't much different than what I already have.

For those that have both, what is your justification and would you sell one to buy a different pistol? A Q4 or Q5 really doesn't make sense for me since I will not be using a RDS so a suggestion to pick up that instead doesn't make sense to me unless there is something I'm missing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am aware that the pistols are identical other than sight radius and barrel length.

For those that have both, what is your justification and would you sell one to buy a different pistol? A Q4 or Q5 really doesn't make sense for me since I will not be using a RDS so a suggestion to pick up that instead doesn't make sense to me unless there is something I'm missing.
I have a Q5 poly and a friend has a 4" PPQ. We have used both in IDPA/USPSA matches and off the bench and frankly, they both seem to perform the same. We really didn't notice any difference in accuracy, because of the extra inch of sight radius on the Q5.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wouldn't sell one to buy the other. I have had a 4" (actually will again) and have a 5". The 5 shoots a little softer but if that makes a difference would be up to you. An inch of sight radius could make a difference. Again, it depends on what you do with it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The conventional wisdom would be to own the one with the longest barrel at the range and carry the shorter one.

As to performance, just as you have mentioned, you get more speed and a longer sight radius. That’s it.

Why not an RDS? Those are game changers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The conventional wisdom would be to own the one with the longest barrel at the range and carry the shorter one.

As to performance, just as you have mentioned, you get more speed and a longer sight radius. That’s it.

Why not an RDS? Those are game changers.

this makes more sense to me, mathematically..
At some point I will get a q5/q5 sf or something like that, to go with my PPQ sc

But from a 3.5" to 4" barrel.. there's a small difference... do you notice it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But from a 3.5" to 4" barrel.. there's a small difference... do you notice it?
The most noticable is the grip length of the 3.5"sc vs 4". That's why I have those two. The 5 is identical to the 4 other than slide and barrel length.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I wouldn't sell one to buy the other. I have had a 4" (actually will again) and have a 5". The 5 shoots a little softer but if that makes a difference would be up to you. An inch of sight radius could make a difference. Again, it depends on what you do with it.
Exactly this. The 5" will shoot a little softer and give you a little more sight radius. It's not a radical difference, but it's there.

A bullet will generally leave the barrel of the 5" with more velocity than the same bullet fired out of the 4".

Once again, not radically more velocity but the difference is there.

Does any of this matter to you? Only you can answer that and you may not know yet.

My advice would be to get one if you can swing it financially. It may turn out you really like it and prefer it.

I prefer the 5" for the shooting attributes. I'm not saying it's intrinsically more accurate but I do think its easier to shoot the gun more accurately easier if that makes sense.

For anything other than CCW, I think the 5" makes a lot of sense.

I know there are folks on this forum who can and do carry the 5". It's sounds like you already have that niche covered though so won't have to work through that.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Unless you are a reloader I would not be concerned about muzzle velocity difference. If you run a chrono using both a 4" and 5" using commercial ammo you will likely see higher and lower velocities between the two lengths. If you are a competitive shooter sight radius might improve accuracy but the 1" difference shows no greater accuracy for me at the range. In fact, my accuracy is relatively consistent between my PPS, XDs 45 and PPQ 45.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 4" M2 and two 5"s. Bought the 4" first, liked it so much I bought the 5". Due to constraints here in CA I bought a 2nd 5" as my "hot spare".

As far as "long vs short" barrels, I also have an M&P Compact (3.6") and a M&P Fullsize with CORE slide kit (5"), as well as a Gov't 1911 and a commander size 1911.

Why? Because I wanted it.

Next up, a fullsize 320RX kit for my 320 compact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have had a 4" (actually will again) and have a 5".
May I ask why you no longer have it and now are getting it again?

Unless you are a reloader I would not be concerned about muzzle velocity difference.
I am, but I'm more concerned with the velocities of my 357 mag (hence the 6") than my 9mm, I'm not a gamer so making PF isn't important.

Why? Because I wanted it.
That's kinda where I'm at. I would be trading a pistol I like but can get cheaper than a PPQ 5" I like the idea of having a long slide and like the compact size as well as subcompact. I've always had a soft spot for the Glock 34 to go along with a 19 or 26, but the G34 is nearly 5.5" This is kind of the same situation minus the extra capacity with standard mags since the grip length is the same. If I had a G17, I wouldn't get a 34.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
May I ask why you no longer have it and now are getting it again?

I am, but I'm more concerned with the velocities of my 357 mag (hence the 6") than my 9mm, I'm not a gamer so making PF isn't important.

That's kinda where I'm at. I would be trading a pistol I like but can get cheaper than a PPQ 5" I like the idea of having a long slide and like the compact size as well as subcompact. I've always had a soft spot for the Glock 34 to go along with a 19 or 26, but the G34 is nearly 5.5" This is kind of the same situation minus the extra capacity with standard mags since the grip length is the same. If I had a G17, I wouldn't get a 34.
It really comes down to wanting it or nor. You can twist yourself into knots trying to be overly logical about it.

Life is short. Get it if you want.

They are good guns. Odds are high you will enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the M1 4" for quite a while, put night sights on it. Main use is for the range and home defense. I carry it occasionally, but I have the P99c for that too.

I used the 4" for IDPA for a while, but wanted different sights for that type of shooting. Got the M1 5" with fiber optic front sight and I prefer that for IDPA. And, the mags work in both pistols.

Different tools for different jobs............and then there's the PPQ 45 too.:)

D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Meanwhile I’m the complete opposite I own (4) 5” PPQ well basically 5 total if you want to include 45ACP suppressed model at 4.9”.
Still haven’t convinced myself to buy a 4” model. I really like full size handguns for range use.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
For range use, why not go 5? For carry, stay at 4. Do you need a 5 for the range? Nope.

·
Registered
23 Posts
PPQ 4 and 5 inch

I have both and they both shoot very similar. The 5 inch is easier to be more accurate. But both are great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts