Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am a new pistol owner, well... bought it in May, received in in Sept (transfer took forever in Canada), and just started punching holes in paper a couple weeks back. (Covid screwing everything up)

I'm not a terrible shot, it seems, but my gun is shooting consistently low. I am getting a decent grouping, for an amateur, but low of center. I asked one of the veteran shooters at the range to fire a few rounds, and he got the same... so at least it's not just me.

My question is... is there any way to adjust the height of the rear sights? I don't see how it could be, but it could be possible? What I DO see on the sights, is the number 2 on the sights... but I don't see where I can buy different numbered sights that are different heights?

My current option is to adjust my sight picture accordingly... but that's not a fix, that's just a work around.

Any advise would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
The PPQ (and most of the poly framed Walther line) uses what is known as the combat sight picture....that is, the front sight goes smack in the middle of the target.

I bet you're using the "pumpkin on a post" hold and that's why you're getting the low groups...

Edit;

Welcome to the board...lots and LOTS of good info here :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PPQ (and most of the poly framed Walther line) uses what is known as the combat sight picture....that is, the front sight goes smack in the middle of the target.

I bet you're using the "pumpkin on a post" hold and that's why you're getting the low groups...

Edit;

Welcome to the board...lots and LOTS of good info here :)
Thanks for the warm welcome. I expect to read LOTS and absorb some, maybe even most!

Pumpkin on the post would be an accurate description. So you mean to dot the target, instead of across the top line? That would make sense. And that would also make sense if the fella that was firing the PPQ for me as a test was using the same method of sight picture. Which also makes sense if we were both going for the Pumpkin.

Interesting analogy.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Yep, what he said. The PPQ uses sight image #3 and you're probably using sight picture #2. Most aftermarket, or maybe All, but one offer sights for the PPQ but they also use sight picture #3. Dawson Precision might be able to fix you up with a shorter front and/or taller rear. Other n' that, you simply need to use sight picture #3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started at #1, and shifted to #2... but I wouldn't have thought of the 'Combat Picture' #3, and that's exactly the area I was hitting.

But the Model 41, and the Sig Sauer, and the other 3 guns I tried were mostly in the inner rings, even at 20 yards. That's why when I was finally allowed to fire my 9mm (probation at the range is .22 only for a little bit) I was a little disappointed that I was making LOTS of noise, and only ruining the bottom half of the target.

Next Wednesday I will try the Combat Sight Picture, number 3, and see how that goes. It seems odd to block the center of the target with the front post, but it would explain a lot.

Thanks for the insight. (Puns are on target though)

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Yup...it took me a little bit to get used to when I got my first PPQ back in 2012...I've got Meprolight sights on my 9mm PPQ, and Trijicons on a P99c, as IAOF mentioned, most of the aftermarket sights for these guns tend to follow sight pic 3 as well as the stock sights.

And damn, 6 months from buying the gun to being able to fire it....I'd be going nuts. Pretty blessed here to walk in, answer a few questions, sign my name and social, and throw some dollars across and walk out with my new hardware. Then a short drive home and I can make as much noise in the back yard as I want. I have a 200 acre farm, and the neighbors are all red-blooded, by-god, hard workin' and 2A lovin' folks as well.

As I often jokingly say "I don't always listen to Hank Williams junior, but when I do...so do the neighbors!"
;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup...it took me a little bit to get used to when I got my first PPQ back in 2012...I've got Meprolight sights on my 9mm PPQ, and Trijicons on a P99c, as IAOF mentioned, most of the aftermarket sights for these guns tend to follow sight pic 3 as well as the stock sights.

And damn, 6 months from buying the gun to being able to fire it....I'd be going nuts. Pretty blessed here to walk in, answer a few questions, sign my name and social, and throw some dollars across and walk out with my new hardware. Then a short drive home and I can make as much noise in the back yard as I want. I have a 200 acre farm, and the neighbors are all red-blooded, by-god, hard workin' and 2A lovin' folks as well.

As I often jokingly say "I don't always listen to Hank Williams junior, but when I do...so do the neighbors!"
;)
Here in Canada, MUCH more restrictive. Can't have a loaded hand gun ANYWHERE except in a Certified Gun Range. There are some great things about Canada... that's not one of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Okay, so I am a new pistol owner, well... bought it in May, received in in Sept (transfer took forever in Canada), and just started punching holes in paper a couple weeks back. (Covid screwing everything up)

I'm not a terrible shot, it seems, but my gun is shooting consistently low. I am getting a decent grouping, for an amateur, but low of center. I asked one of the veteran shooters at the range to fire a few rounds, and he got the same... so at least it's not just me.

My question is... is there any way to adjust the height of the rear sights? I don't see how it could be, but it could be possible? What I DO see on the sights, is the number 2 on the sights... but I don't see where I can buy different numbered sights that are different heights?

My current option is to adjust my sight picture accordingly... but that's not a fix, that's just a work around.

Any advise would be great. Thanks.
Scooby, contact Walther customer service. You can purchase the different height front sights from them or if you tell them it's a new gun you might get them sent to you free. Contacting the gun manufacture is always a good idea. They have an interest in keeping customers happy and they can also tell you if some problem is a under warranty. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scooby, contact Walther customer service. You can purchase the different height front sights from them or if you tell them it's a new gun you might get them sent to you free. Contacting the gun manufacture is always a good idea. They have an interest in keeping customers happy and they can also tell you if some problem is a under warranty. Keep us posted.
I certainly will. I'll be at the range again on Wednesday, so I will find out if that is indeed my issue or not. I am hopeful that it is.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Walther sights are as fart (and others) stated designed to use sight picture III, a combat sight. Once you've run some rounds down range using this sight picture you'll find it is an easy way to acquire and reacquire target on follow up shots (which is why it is called a combat sight).

You'll be able to place three or four rounds on top of each other in well under 2 seconds in no time. And soon you can go really fast and accurate!

Reactions: Scooby

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, what he said. The PPQ uses sight image #3 and you're probably using sight picture #2. Most aftermarket, or maybe All, but one offer sights for the PPQ but they also use sight picture #3. Dawson Precision might be able to fix you up with a shorter front and/or taller rear. Other n' that, you simply need to use sight picture #3.

This is probably the clearest explanation of the various "sight pictures" and how the PPQ M2 is built for the shooter to use sight picture 3 that I have seen.

The other poster used Pumpkin on a Post analogy and I suppose that is sight picture 1.

I assumed the original poster used sight picture 2, as I have been doing all along until just recently.

From years of training in the Army to shoot an M-16 and align the top of the front sight post to intersect the exact point of impact that you want (as in sight picture 2), I assumed this was correct in every situation.

Only for the past few months now I have been trying to relearn or force myself to use sight picture 3 with my PPQ M2.

I'm getting closer to putting rounds in the center now instead of low, but have a very hard time being consistent.

In a later post someone said that with practice this is better, that sight picture 3 is a "combat" sight picture and allows you to reaquire the target quicker.

Can someone explain why?

I find it takes me much longer to make sure the 3 dots on my sights are horizontally aligned, and then putting that line of dots over top of what I want to hit.

Plus it obscures my view of the target. I much prefer seeing all of what I want to hit, versus covering it up with the 3 dots.

Because I can never place the 3 dots over or on top of where I want my shots to go (because I can't see it clearly when I do), is why I think I can't consistently hit the same mark every time.

I'll keep practicing, but if I cannot master using sight picture 3, can you all please suggest some after market sights that will allow me to use sight picture 2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is probably the clearest explanation of the various "sight pictures" and how the PPQ M2 is built for the shooter to use sight picture 3 that I have seen.

The other poster used Pumpkin on a Post analogy and I suppose that is sight picture 1.

I assumed the original poster used sight picture 2, as I have been doing all along until just recently.

From years of training in the Army to shoot an M-16 and align the top of the front sight post to intersect the exact point of impact that you want (as in sight picture 2), I assumed this was correct in every situation.

Only for the past few months now I have been trying to relearn or force myself to use sight picture 3 with my PPQ M2.

I'm getting closer to putting rounds in the center now instead of low, but have a very hard time being consistent.

In a later post someone said that with practice this is better, that sight picture 3 is a "combat" sight picture and allows you to reaquire the target quicker.

Can someone explain why?

I find it takes me much longer to make sure the 3 dots on my sights are horizontally aligned, and then putting that line of dots over top of what I want to hit.

Plus it obscures my view of the target. I much prefer seeing all of what I want to hit, versus covering it up with the 3 dots.

Because I can never place the 3 dots over or on top of where I want my shots to go (because I can't see it clearly when I do), is why I think I can't consistently hit the same mark every time.

I'll keep practicing, but if I cannot master using sight picture 3, can you all please suggest some after market sights that will allow me to use sight picture 2?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Klowman2003. You might want to consider Speedsights ( Best Handgun & Pistol Sights for Glock | Sig | XD | Walther | Smith Wesson ) I've got em' on quite a few pistols and really like em'. Line up the diamonds and the point of impact is the top tip of the front sight.

View attachment 94899
Ok,

Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the double post, I have a hard time with this forum board, using it correctly.

The auto quoting gets me every time, and as I 'm typing, if I try to backspace to fix a typo, the screen jumps all around and it starts doing things I have no idea what it is doing.

Using this on an Android phone, sucks.

So with the Speed Lights, I don't need to special order a different font post height or rear sight height or anything?

If I order the standars set for a PPQ M2, then when I install them they will automatically allow me to use sight picture 2?

And if In place the tip of that front diamond dead center of the target then that will be the point of impact?

I was looking into some of the other sights mentioned, and when you order it gives choices of what height for a front post etc...and back then is when I was also trying to read some threads on the actual sight measurements and whether you had the steel sights or polymer etc...and I could never figure it all out.

But if these speed lights only require ordering the standard PPQ M2 set and replacing my factory sights, I'm definitely going to order.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And you are all absolutely correct. When I went to the range tonight, I thought about what I WAS doing, and I was using #2. I shifted to the 'Combat Sight Picture', and after a couple mags, I was all in the black.

Well done on the analysis, and the advice! Much thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's a thread on Speedsights. New Speedsights for the PPQ has impressed me with speed...

As I remember, when ordering, you simply order for a 4" or 5" Q then 9mm or 45.....pick your colors...I like white rear and orange front. Best Night Sights for Walther Handguns - High Visibility Walther Sights
Dang,

Now I can't decide what color to get for front sight, and whether to get the tritium sights or not.

Anyone else have these and/or have input on which colors are better for any given situation, and what do the tritium version actually do?

I"m seriously ready to order these, but want to make sure I get the right combination.

My PPQ M2 4" is mainly for home defense and for fun at the range.

I initially was going to have this as an EDC but can't find an IWB holster that seems to work for me. I think I prefer to carry someplace between Apendix and 3 o'clock...have hard time reaching back closer to 5 o'clock...but I digress...bought a SA Hellcat to use as my EDC... So Speedsights on my Walther for home defense and range fun.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts