Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Perhaps its me or its the rear sight. When I look through it, line up the sights, when I look at the fiber optic, the bottom of the rear sight is covering p the bottom of the dot. So all I see is a 1/2 moon.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’ll ask the stupid question. What happens if you raise the front sight so it is lined up with the rear sight? Also at what range are you shooting?

Most guns today are designed (sights aligned) for a Correct Point of Impact at 25 yards. Because the barrel is positioned below the sights the trajectory of the bullet is rising until gravity takes over. Therefore you can expect the POI to be low at any range less than 25 yds and high after 25 yards.

Finally make sure the sights are at eye level using sight picture #3, which is all three dots in line horizontally and the front dot center on the bullseye. If none of this helps you will need a taller front sight, do not do any filing on the rear sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll ask the stupid question. What happens if you raise the front sight so it is lined up with the rear sight? Also at what range are you shooting?

Most guns today are designed (sights aligned) for a Correct Point of Impact at 25 yards. Because the barrel is positioned below the sights the trajectory of the bullet is rising until gravity takes over. Therefore you can expect the POI to be low at any range less than 25 yds and high after 25 yards.

Finally make sure the sights are at eye level using sight picture #3, which is all three dots in line horizontally and the front dot center on the bullseye. If none of this helps you will need a taller front sight, do not do any filing on the rear sight.

If I raise the front sight, the top of the sights do not align with the rear. I'm shooting at all ranges but when going far like 30 yards or more, I'm missing more than usual.

This is all stock on my Q5. I didn't change anything on the gun. I've noticed this on a few Q5's at a USPSA match. I was able to look at a few Q5's who let me and it was the same. I'll try to get a pic for you if i can.

Thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
156 Posts
My initial response is you are making this more complicated than it is. I would be make sure the sights are at eye level. Try standing in front of a mirror with the gun unloaded. Aiming at the mirror, take your normal shooting stance, notice where the sights are in relationship to your eyes. Many people tend to hold the sights slightly low, me included, when I get tired. Forget about the top of the sights, align the dots horizontally. You have now established your aiming position. When the gun moves make sure you maintain the sight to eyes relationship. If you have to shoot around a corner or under a wall, your eyes should follow the sights, even if you have to move your head to keep the alignment.
If you don’t have any rear dots, align the front sight dot centered in the rear, sight both vertically and horizontally. That should get you pretty close. I don’t have a Q5 but, being a competition gun, I’m pretty sure the sights used are meant to give you quick target acquisition. Basically if you can see a full front dot inside the rear sight “V” or “U” you’re good to go. When you are shooting focus on the front fiber optic sight. Keep it visible inside the rear sight as soon as you are on target touch it off.

·
Premium Member
13,965 Posts
Okay, I just went and pulled out one of my BNIB PPQ Q5's. Yes, it has the factory mounted sights, LPA adjustable rear and a fiber optic front. When I pull that puppy up to eye level and look thru the sights the top of the front and rear sights are aligned, perfectly straight across, and I'm seeing the full red dot on the front sight... It looks absolutely normal.

Let someone else look at your pistol.....checking the sight picture....ask em' what they're seeing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I raise the front sight, the top of the sights do not align with the rear. I'm shooting at all ranges but when going far like 30 yards or more, I'm missing more than usual.

This is all stock on my Q5. I didn't change anything on the gun. I've noticed this on a few Q5's at a USPSA match. I was able to look at a few Q5's who let me and it was the same. I'll try to get a pic for you if i can.

Thanks for the quick reply
Heyas Blade, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the Q5. However, you've answered your own question, with what you'd written here.
IF all these different pistols have the same sights....
IF all these pistol's owners haven't called Walther to get them fixed...
IF all these pistol's owners haven't had an issue with sighting with them...

I'm honestly NOT being snarky, and actually BEING sincere when I ask this.... how long was it since the last time you went to have your vision checked?

I'm a computer IT guy, so I'm gonna put this a different way. Say that I've got 5 users who routinely use the same computer. One user comes to me saying that the computer gives them headaches. I ask the other users, and no such issue. I check the machine. Nothing seems wrong with it, I check the refresh rate on the monitor, and it's set correctly.
So what's different for this one particular user? I tilt the monitor slightly, so it's not getting as much glare from the overhead lights, and the user is happy.

So if the other owner's are ok with their guns, and theirs are exactly like yours, then there is something about You that is different, that is making it not line up correctly. Like I hinted at, it could be something with your vision. It could be something with your hold, or your grip. Best thing I can think of, is to have somebody else try out the gun, and see if they experience the same issues.

Tho if it's something that might be more easily corrected with different sights, perhaps some of the U shaped rear sights on the market might work out better for you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts