Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to get my pistol to hit POA I had to move the rear sight quite far to the right. So far in fact that it is a bother. I was shooting 115 grain ammo by Eagle. I had another shooter try who is on a pistol team and the results were the same. What are some of the possible causes? P99

·
Registered
411 Posts
How does the front sight look? Is it bent or crooked? How far to the right is the rear sight, is it out of the dovetail? If the sights check out, and its not shooter error, i'd have S&W/Walther check it out under warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
The front sight looks fine. It overhangs about 1/16 of an inch. I think that is way too much. Not only does it look odd it is quite distracting for the shooter.

·
Registered
411 Posts
1/16 out of the dovetail is way too much, both my P99's have the rear sight dead center, and they shoot dead center.
How is the barrel lockup? Is it tight with no wobble when the pistol is in battery? How does the slide/barrel fit look when you take the slide off and look at it from the bottom? Everything should line up and fit tightly. Try hand cycling the pistol and watching how the barrel and slide work together, and look for any abnormalities, especially side to side play or movement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything seems tight and smooth. Cycling the action does not show me anything strange. The lock-up is tight. Nothing seems to drag or have burrs. I will call S&W and see what they want to do. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke to customer service about my P99 and the rear sight being too far to the right in order to have it hit POA. The tech told me that three things could cause this. The barrel, the frame or the slide. Sure ain't the trigger. More than likely he thinks it is the barrel. They will be sending me a FedEX label and I will send it back to see what they think. Guys, this is really great service. I hope this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pistol was sent back yesterday.
The only time I have had POA problems were with front sights being off. Two AKs and one AR. The one on the AR is particularly bothersome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez, has it been this long already. Almost a year and I have not followed up on my post.
Obviously I received my pistol back. No replacement parts were necessary according to SW. All that was done was to test fire. They did move the rear sight a short distance more to center, but not much.
I have taken it out three times since. I did not move the sight and shot it as it was sent back. Same problem, it still shoots too far to the left. Changed to Winchester ammo and while the groups were very good, it still shoots very left. Never had this problem with the dozen or so handguns I have owned. Oh well, this may be just an imperfection I will have to live with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont feel alone, I bought a DESERT EAGLE in 44 cal. and the "EXCACT" same thing happened to me
 I called Magnum Research and explained in detail what the problem was.......all I got back was a brochure of thier guns and products

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
frankenquad that was too funny! Help! Help! So they sent me a picture of a life jacket!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts