Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just registered as I just recently picked up a S&W 99 .40 S&W. I apologize in advance if this is out of place here, but I figured it's close enough to the "real thing", I might as well post here. ;) This is the first time I've fired any P99 variant. The first thing I should mention is I absolutely love it! Out of a majority of other semi-autos I've used, I love how this gun fits in my hands and just points so naturally. The only issue I'm having is with the rear sight. To be honest, I really don't like the rear sight design and am having trouble maintaining accuracy with it. The issue I'm having is the rear sight is wider than the front, so the front site does not completely fill up the rear. I find that, for some odd reason, because the rear isn't completely filled up I tend to point the gun slightly off center occasionally, and it's really making quick follow up shots more difficult (and less accurate) for me. I've never had this problem with other semi-autos. Personally, I'd like to find a rear sight that doesn't have a center section that is so wide. I've been doing a bit of research and see that there are Trijicon, Mepro's, Hiviz I believe, 24/7 ? (can't remember the exact name), a few optical sights, and I saw on Earl's website more of an adjustable target sight. My question is, do any of these other sights have a smaller rear aperture that the front sight will completely fill? The adjustable "target" sight I saw on Earl's website here: Link looks more my style, though these are listed for the P99 and not the P99 AS. I'm a novice when it comes to these guns, so I'm not entirely sure if there is some sort of difference that would prevent me from using any of these sights on my S&W 99. AFAIK, I believe the S&W variant uses the same sights as the P99 AS. I don't particularly prefer night sights over standard sights, however I'll take what I can get if it will eliminate this "dead space" between the 2 rear sight blades. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe the trick is to adjust your grip and presentation where whenever you're looking down the sights, they automatically line up via muscle memory/consistency. Check out this link for a description of the grip I use.

My meprolights are the same way. The wife has some truglos that are the same way, though both maybe to different degrees than the factory P99 sights.

I think the 24/7 bigdot sights might be a good idea. You might also look for some Heine straight 8's. I have heard the bigdots are very quick but not very precise. Since it seems that you're shooting for a little more accuracy, I'm not sure you'd like the Bigdots.

Are you shooting silouhettes or targets (bullseye)? I've found that a REALLY crappy looking, quickly shot group on a target is more than enough to get the job done when held over a silouhette.

-stunks

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
See, I LOVE the rear sight design. In fact, I don't want night sights or anything besides the stock sights. I like the wider rear sight. I can bring it on aim quicker than a narrow rear sight.

But, we all have our preferences.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the words of advice everyone, and especially for those vids Stunksinatl! I realize that my problem is a lack of consistency on my part, and not any sort of mechanical defect of the gun itself. I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to handguns, and realize I need quite a bit more practice. I guess at this point I really just need to keep firing rounds at the range until I develop some muscle memory and an aiming method that works for me. I have been doing lots of research lately, and have been reading up on some of the more advanced methods of handgun control, such as the both thumbs forward method like in the vids above. Actually, I tried this out at the range a couple of days ago and it certainly did help from the typical one thumb on top of the other beginner method I was using. I was a bit surprised too that I was able to make accurate and relatively quick follow up shots compared to before. Stunksinatl, thank you very much for that vid! It really clicked in my mind when the "pivoting" effect was pointed out and that applying force to the front of the grip helps reduce this. I'm going to have to try that out the next time I'm at the range. I'm really loving this gun though, and I find myself looking for any excuse to put some rounds through it as it's very enjoyable to shoot!

Stunksinatl, I'm mainly shooting silouhettes and actually I'm considering eventually joining the IDPA or another similar organization.

Thanks again guys for helping out a beginner! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts