Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my hands on a Gen 1 P99 (been wanting one for a while), and the rear sight was installed improperly (literally flew off when sending the slide forward). I have two pieces--the sight itself (with screw/bolt), and the plunger pin. Problem is, when I put the plunger in the hole it goes in it just sits flush and doesn't, well, plunge. I have to punch it back out through the other side. Am I missing something or some kind of part?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The plunger has a spring, probably lost when the sight came off. Call Walther fora new spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you--I figured that made the most sense. Do you just put the spring in the hole followed by the plunger and then put the sight over it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thank you--I figured that made the most sense. Do you just put the spring in the hole followed by the plunger and then put the sight over it?
Top of the plunger has a groove in it that has to mate with the sight's windage adjustment screw.

·
Premium Member
13,497 Posts
I typed up a long response.....my dog farted, I took 'one' breath, fainted, hit some key on the keyboard and 'POOF' the post was gone.

Here's the short version. Obtain new spring, insert spring and plunger into hole in slide (ensure the slot on top of the plunger is parallel to the slide). Insert rear sight into dovetail from the left side and push it in until it is up against (touching) the plunger. Use your thumbnail to depress the plunger...while holding down, push the sight a little farther to the right until the head of the screw is above the slot. Slowly remove the thumbnail while using your other thumbnail to block the anticipated trajectory path of the spring and plunger is you were unsuccessful. That's how the udder guy lost his spring....PING and off it goes into the wild blue younder, bouncing off walls before it zoomed out the window and went into low earth orbit.

A picture is worth a thousand words.....here's your picture. Be careful with that plunger and ALWAYS block the anticipated trajectory path. May want to use 'safety glasses'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I typed up a long response.....my dog farted, I took 'one' breath, fainted, hit some key on the keyboard and 'POOF' the post was gone.
Happens to the best of us! Thank you so much for your help. Somehow I found the spring (clearly the universe is on my side today!). I will try this later. Do you have to press in the plunger in order to change the windage?

·
Premium Member
13,497 Posts
I've been told that its possible to rotate the screw while its captured by the plunger. However, the rear sight is soooooo easy to remove/install, I just use my thumb to depress the plunger, slide the sight out and use my finger to rotate the screw, then put the sight back in.

Look at that picture and you'll notice that the groove/slot in the head of the screw is cut with a circular cutter, making a groove that is deeper in the center and feathers out to 'nuttin' at either end. Screw driver don't fit that very well. AND, if you find a tiny screw driver that you think will work and actually try to turn the screw with it still captured by the plunger, the screw driver will more than likely slip out the slot and you'll wind up making a 'booger' on the edge of the slot.

I DID make or contour a small flat blade screw driver to match the slot in the screw, but I still just remove the sight to make any windage changes.....it really is too easy, once you've developed your technique for blocking the trajectory path. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been told that its possible to rotate the screw while its captured by the plunger. However, the rear sight is soooooo easy to remove/install, I just use my thumb to depress the plunger, slide the sight out and use my finger to rotate the screw, then put the sight back in.

Look at that picture and you'll notice that the groove/slot in the head of the screw is cut with a circular cutter, making a groove that is deeper in the center and feathers out to 'nuttin' at either end. Screw driver don't fit that very well. AND, if you find a tiny screw driver that you think will work and actually try to turn the screw with it still captured by the plunger, the screw driver will more than likely slip out the slot and you'll wind up making a 'booger' on the edge of the slot.

I DID make or contour a small flat blade screw driver to match the slot in the screw, but I still just remove the sight to make any windage changes.....it really is too easy, once you've developed your technique for blocking the trajectory path. :D
Thank you again--I really appreciate the help and knowledge :)

I'm used to my HK's, but picking up the P99 and the new Fort Smith PPK has me smiling as of late :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts