Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's someone's fantasy gun. The engraving is not well done; amateurish at best. It's about as much SS as the tooth fairy.

One heck of a conversation piece though.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
It's a fantasy pistol built out of a WWII Mauser production P.38. There were P.38's purchased and used by the SS but the only difference between them and their army counterparts were the proofmarks.

I don't care what this pistol looked like before it was butchered like this. It deserved a better fate. This is photographic proof of why we can't have nice things.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Perfect carry piece! When confronted by an assailant, simply throw the gun at him and make your escape while he's on the ground convulsing with laughter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect carry piece! When confronted by an assailant, simply throw the gun at him and make your escape while he's on the ground convulsing with laughter.
Okay, you guys have conviced me...I thought I was posting a question to professionals, but found all the answers were from frustrated clowns...I'm gone...

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
I thought I was posting a question to professionals, but found all the answers were from frustrated clowns...
The pistol in question is a gaudy fake made to fool the gullible and part them from their money. So yes, it does make the members of this forum frustrated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Okay, you guys have conviced me...I thought I was posting a question to professionals, but found all the answers were from frustrated clowns...I'm gone...
I was the first to answer your question and I don't think I was being a clown at all. But, if you want a "professional" blunt opinion then try this: It's so obviously a FAKE that Ray Charles could see it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks to the engraving, all markings and stamps that could be used to determine whether the pistol was manufactured by Walther, Mauser or Spreewerk have disappeared. Any civil proof marks are not to be seen either. Which "professional" advice or information do you expect then, apart from the information that someone has created his own fantasy SS-P38?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I was the first to answer your question and I don't think I was being a clown at all. But, if you want a "professional" blunt opinion then try this: It's so obviously a FAKE that Ray Charles could see it.
Or Stevie Wonder!! This guy is the typical ‘my friend has such and such’ when it is really his gun. A FAKE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a fantasy pistol built out of a WWII Mauser production P.38. There were P.38's purchased and used by the SS but the only difference between them and their army counterparts were the proofmarks.

I don't care what this pistol looked like before it was butchered like this. It deserved a better fate. This is photographic proof of why we can't have nice things.
What are the”SS” proof marks?

·
Registered
161 Posts
What are the”SS” proof marks?
There will likely be opposing views but small arms issued to SS troops were not marked any differently than those issued to other German units. Any rifle or handgun marked with SS runes or the "Totenkopf" (Death Head) skull and crossbones should be viewed with serious suspicion. Most serious collectors are convinced that any such marked firearms are fakes. There are those who believe some are genuine and it's a dispute that is likely never to reach a satisfactory conclusion. The best evidence IMO is the very small numbers of such arms when the SS numbered in the hundreds of thousands. If there had been a requirement to mark arms issued to SS troops in a specific manner, why did so few survive?

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
There will likely be opposing views but small arms issued to SS troops were not marked any differently than those issued to other German units.
You are correct.

In my post mentioning P.38's with SS proofs I was refering to pistols marked E/L used by the police who were under SS control. I should have been more clear in my explanation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The pistol in question is a gaudy fake made to fool the gullible and part them from their money. So yes, it does make the members of this forum frustrated.
Frustrated, but not profffessionals...proffessionals: Try this site they research all these phoney P38's...this site has a list of the phony Walthers, etc., not This is Adolph and I gave it to Himmler...

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks to be a photograph of a real gun.
I believe the gun is a P.38
I can’t believe it left the factory that way. I do not believe it to have been modified ‘in the day’.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy has this P38, but I don't think it's real...bluing is odd.

Tom View attachment 99093 View attachment 99093 View attachment 99094 View attachment 99094

Tom View attachment 99093 View attachment 99093 View attachment 99094 View attachment 99094
I saw a similarly tricked out P38 advertised in the '80's. Seems like they were asking about $1,500--an astronomical amount in those days. It had all the engraving less the Death's Head and the SS marking. Lots of gold leaf. Then one day at a gun show--back when FFL holders could only buy, not sell at gun shows and they were actually fun, a walk-in brought that selfsame P38 to my table and wanted to sell it. I declined, as I had no interest in something so butchered up. He was insistent that I make him an offer, but I didn't for fear he'd accept the offer. What I remember most about it was that it was a byf 42 with a really low serial number, and I gagged that a fairly rare P38 would have been so desecrated.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Frustrated, but not profffessionals...proffessionals: Try this site they research all these phoney P38's...this site has a list of the phony Walthers, etc., not This is Adolph and I gave it to Himmler...
If you are not satisfied with the reactions here in this forum, register in
Welcome to the P38 Web Site...., show the P38 there and then find out what they have to say about it.
I suspect the reactions will be similar.
It would of course be fair if you would report about it here afterwards.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts