Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Shooter P38

Hello,

Just out of curiosity what year and manufacturer P38’s would be safest to shoot (slide won’t crack and cover won’t blow off. I have two nice examples but I do not want to shoot those... so now I’m looking for a shooter? Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct I am. Don’t you think I would be better off getting maybe a Russian capture to shoot as the P1’s are getting up there in price. At least the RC has some resale value don’t you think

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Make up your mind if you wanna have one you can shoot a lot without worry, or if you want to have it as an investment piece you can shoot sometimes...

AIM surplus has the '75 and later for $519.95, and you won't even get a "collectible" Russian capture, mixed and matched, handed to the East Germans, reworked, somehow wound up in Viet Nam, sold off to Rhodesia, beat to crap P.38 for that kind of money anymore.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product....n+Walther+P1+HEX+PIN+9mm+Pistol&groupid=11520

And THOSE will demand crazy collectors prices in just a few years, mark my words.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Sir, if you have the opportunity to purchase a functional P.38, you have a shooter. I've lost count of the number of thousands of rounds I've sent downrange with my early '60's P.38... just feed it mild 115 grain WWB and you'll get old a heckuva lot sooner than your Walther.

-Pilotsteve

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you're looking for a shooter, look for a P1 made after June of 1975.
That's easier said than done. The problem is that many if not most ex-Bundeswehr P1s are mixmasters, and exhibit anachronistic parts and/or serial numbers. The German Army arsenals' practice of re-cycling serial numbers on replacement frames, or putting replacement slides with later dates on old frames confound anyone who is not thoroughly familiar with re-work markings.

The later "fat" slide is preferred, and the frame with hex lug will take more abuse. But mechanical condition, especially precise fitting, is more important than the presence or absence of such features. One is more confident of finding that in an all-matching, factory-original specimen than in an ex-BW rebuild.

Steve is right: with care and proper ammunition, any of them will last a long time.

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.