Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my PPQ M2 4" is my first pistol that takes double stack 9 mm magazines. When fully loaded the bottom one or two rounds rattle like crazy. This is with both a used and a new 17 round mag, Walther brand. Is this normal?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Yup...they will rattle....just like a diamondback!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Yup...they will rattle....just like a diamondback!
It may be normal in a PPQ, and it may be harmless if it sorts itself out as you shoot through the magazine and if it never causes a hangup.

But it is evidence of poor compatibility between that magazine and the ammunition being used. Something (probably a stubbed cartridge) is interrupting the contact between all the cartridges in the column, and depriving the stack of smooth and uniform upward pressure from the magazine follower. It might be something about the cartridges themselves, or about the design of the magazine.

Really well-designed and carefully manufactured magazines, when used with the specific ammunition for which they were dimensioned, do not rattle when fully loaded.

M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well mixed messages so far. They are Walther branded magazines as I stated so I don't know how I can do better than that. The ammo is the recommended type, new 9 mm Luger FMJ, brass casings, Fiocci (sp?) and Blazer Brass target ammo and Sig Sauer Elite Performance JHP all in 115 gr.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's not just Walther mags that do this, I've had Glock magazines do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Mike I've had it with every brand of range and carry ammo that I can remember.

I just checked my Navy Q with a 15 round Walther mag loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 grn hollow point. They rattle.

I've noticed it with Lawman, GECO, Federal. It just seems to be the nature of the beast and I seriously doubt anyone past 2 feet away could hear the rattle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had the rattling issue with many different pistol mags. It's not unique to PPQ mags nor is it necessarily a problem.

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
Well mixed messages so far. They are Walther branded magazines as I stated so I don't know how I can do better than that. The ammo is the recommended type, new 9 mm Luger FMJ, brass casings, Fiocci (sp?) and Blazer Brass target ammo and Sign Sauer Elite Performance JHP all in 115 gr.

Sicampbell, in a perfect world, MGM is 100% correct. This isn't a perfect world. Its been noted for years that 17 round 9mm PPQ magazines rattle. I can't remember anyone EVER posting about a feeding problem related/tied to a rattling magazine.

Once again, rattling rounds are common in the PPQ. Is it something I lose sleep over? Nope. I've never had a feeding problem with any of my 17 round mags in my PPQ's.

Here's a 'google' search on this forum for rattling mags. Some of these post go back to 2013....maybe earlier.....I didn't read thru all of em'. Bottom line, its been happening since the PPQ was released....doesn't seem to be a problem.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRpV6TYIuM9lBixq7q5RWenu0M3UQ:1573132105134&source=hp&ei=SRfEXdi8BdKWsQXXkq7IAQ&q=rattling+rounds+site:waltherforums.com&oq=rattling+rounds+site:waltherforums.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3547.16459..17195...0.0..0.222.4019.20j18j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..35i362i39j35i39j0j0i131j0i70i249j0i10j0i22i10i30j0i22i30j0i13j0i13i30j33i299j33i160.fZLFdJewgBs&ved=0ahUKEwiYhbzildjlAhVSS6wKHVeJCxkQ4dUDCAg&uact=5

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I've had the rattling issue with many different pistol mags. It's not unique to PPQ mags nor is it necessarily a problem.

Please read what I wrote. I didn't say it was necessarily a problem, only that it was evidence that the ammunition did not optimally fit the magazine, or that the magazine design was not exactly correct. One or the other, or perhaps both.

Magazine design is a mix of genius, experience and sorcery, and consistent, repeatable magazine manufacture involves an equal if not greater ingredient of witchcraft. Walther has redesigned, redimensioned and modified the basic magazine for the P99/PPQ countless times since 1996, and probably still doesn't have it exactly right. Walther doesn't make its own magazines any more because it is a highly specialized skill that only a few companies still have; MecGar is such a company, but even MecGar does not design magazines--it makes them to whatever drawings Walther provides. And if the design is imperfect, so are the magazines.

The cartridges rattle because one of them is stuck, and those above it are therefore loose. A loose round may have enough room to shift kattywompus and cause a feed stoppage by depriving the top round of full support. Most such problems arise in double-stack, single-position-feed pistol magazines at the point where the two columns must merge into one. If interference can happen, ultimately it will-- if you fire enough rounds or if the cartridges being used introduce a dimensional incompatibility.

Rattling can be minimized when loading the mag by exercising the cartridge column up and down every few rounds to help them seat properly against each other.

M

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Now I'm shaking the hell out of that same 15 round mag and it isn't making a peep...so figure...well back to the boat and if it rattles no one will hear it anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The answer is quite simple. The 9mm round is slightly tapered being narrower at the neck. When you fill a large straight mag, a small gap will develop at the neck while all rounds make contact at the base.

Very large mags, like for an MP5 are curved to provide smoother feeding under auto fire.

As others have said, this is not unique to the PPQ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not just Walther mags that do this, I've had Glock magazines do the same thing.

Gotcha, I have but little experience, but my Glock single stack mags don't do this was my point. Trying to understand if it's a double stack thing that is normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sicampbell, in a perfect world, MGM is 100% correct. This isn't a perfect world. Its been noted for years that 17 round 9mm PPQ magazines rattle. I can't remember anyone EVER posting about a feeding problem related/tied to a rattling magazine.

Once again, rattling rounds are common in the PPQ. Is it something I lose sleep over? Nope. I've never had a feeding problem with any of my 17 round mags in my PPQ's.

Here's a 'google' search on this forum for rattling mags. Some of these post go back to 2013....maybe earlier.....I didn't read thru all of em'. Bottom line, its been happening since the PPQ was released....doesn't seem to be a problem.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRpV6TYIuM9lBixq7q5RWenu0M3UQ:1573132105134&source=hp&ei=SRfEXdi8BdKWsQXXkq7IAQ&q=rattling+rounds+site:waltherforums.com&oq=rattling+rounds+site:waltherforums.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3547.16459..17195...0.0..0.222.4019.20j18j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..35i362i39j35i39j0j0i131j0i70i249j0i10j0i22i10i30j0i22i30j0i13j0i13i30j33i299j33i160.fZLFdJewgBs&ved=0ahUKEwiYhbzildjlAhVSS6wKHVeJCxkQ4dUDCAg&uact=5
Thank you oldfart...just the kind of feedback I was seeking...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gotcha, I have but little experience, but my Glock single stack mags don't do this was my point. Trying to understand if it's a double stack thing that is normal.
It's less likely in a single stack. There's not as much room to move around. Both sides of a round are supported by the mag walls.

Otherwise, it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think it's common in double stack rounds, My Walther, Glock and Smith & Wesson mags will occasionally do it but only with full magazine. If I strip one or two rounds the rattle goes away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts