Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off- hello everyone- long time lurker first time poster:
Second: my local has an Interarms PPk .380 (US made) for $380 BUT the slide has patches of rust and pitting from where the previous owner carried it. The area of pitting is more than an inch long mostly near the front.
The bore and mechanisms all look great so here's the rub, am I nuts for considering it or nuts for passing a PPk at that price?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Interarms U.S.-made PPK pistols in nice condition are not scarce, and can found without obvious disabilities for not much more than that. If appearance matters to you I think I'd keep looking.

M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interarms U.S.-made PPK pistols in nice condition are not scarce, and can found without obvious disabilities for not much more than that. If appearance matters to you I think I'd keep looking.

M
Thanks MG, I wasn't sure if this was too rare to pass up.
A bit of age won't normally scare me off, but given there is more pitting on this than my 116 y/o Winchester 94, I might just keep on looking.

·
Super Moderator
7,596 Posts
Those are the perils of carrying a blued gun close to your anatomy.
Concur that the price is high for the condition. If you simply want it as a shooter, have you tried talking them down?
Moon

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'd sure like to find, heck, even just see, one of these PPKs in good condition for under $600+ that you all seem to think are dripping off trees.

I haunt the local FFLs and have made my wants known to them, and in the past two to three years only ONE has shown up, and it was priced far far more than the bargain basement prices you lot seem to be able to find in your areas, and the shop would not budge on the price. Why? Because of the internet. Why sell it at a "reasonable" price when they can just wait a month with it in their case then put it on GunPorker and make a killing on it.

I'd love to have a PPK or PPK/s, and at this point I'd even settle for a .380, but they just don't exist in my area at the prices you folks bandy about.

:(

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I haven't seen any PP series pistols around here in over a decade. Three shops, zero.

And they know to call me if one walks in the door no matter the condition.

Reactions: Austin Powers

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I guess we have the same problem Herr Walther, even though I suspect we are not near the same geographic area.

Well, I guess I'll run out this afternoon and beat the bushes again, now that I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It's the same in my area as well.

Folks here said I overpaid when I spent $500 for my LNiB S&W PPK/S-1, speaking of Interarms models for $350 in the same condition, meanwhile the only Interarms PPK/S I had ever seen in person was "well-worn" to say the least with its rollmarks all but worn completely off and priced at $750!

As for PPs and PPKs, they're unobtainium in my area. I've never seen one of either in my area, and from what I've heard they tend to go quickly for quite a bit more than the PPK/S.

So yeah, I dunno where the folks live who speak of frequently seeing used Walther PP Series pistols at extremely low prices, but they aren't cheap in my area, nor are they common. Over the past 2 years I have seen a total of 6 PPK/S units in local gun shops, with the cheapest being S&W models which get swept up quickly for $500.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I scan the local classified sites daily here and when I see a PPK its always around $500. If I wanted a PPK to actually shoot and wasnt hung up on importer or collectable status id be all over that one. I actually like a little bit of character on my guns.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same here in northern Virginia, I haven't seen any PP's for sale period. I did come across a Manurhin on Armslist for $500 but the seller pulled it off quickly, he either sold it or changed his mind.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
My favorite local gun store had a post-recall .380 ACP S&W PPK, no box, 3 magazines, IWB holster listed for $599. I passed. Even with the Doug Discount I thought it was too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts