Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only in Europe
Rare Walther P99 TA DAO variant entered in the police trials. Pretty much the same as the new 2004 Model P99s with the amibidextrous slide release and full slide decocker.

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=308971

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Ambidextrious slide release version of the 2004 P99QA is available here in California. I called and placed an order and I'm awaiting its arrival, especially since I am left handed. It was a little bit difficult to find since its classified as a law enforcement model. Just out of curiosity what does TA stand for. I thought Walther made 3 separate models of the P99. The AS, QA, and DAO. Is there now another fourth model, the TA? How is the TA different from the DAO?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TA is the P99 that Walther put up against the P2000 for the German National Police Pistol trials. It lost.

From what I can tell from the pics and the info I've read on the TA in DWJ, the only difference is the decocker button, which extends across the entire top of the slide on the TA, but on the 2004 P99 DAO model is not there.

If I recall correctly the TA was more of a QA type trigger, not a DAO or DA/SA. I'll have to go back to my DWJ and translate to be sure.

James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Me likey
I'm a lefty and the ambi slide release and decocker would be sweet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Extremist.  I noticed many months ago your excellent P99 page had pictures of the new 2004 P99, however once the compact P99 came out, they got out muscled.  Did you move them to a new page or did they just get deleted.  If they got moved can you please repost the new web page so we can better compare pictures of the 3 different 2004 P99 models with the TA?  And yes I did notice the P99DA pictures from 2002.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I put them back, they got inadvertantly deleted.

Thanks for noticing them.

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is so unique for the P99TA that it is not available in Walther's literature. Much less why isn't it imported. Where the TA's only made in limited quantity. Where they sold only to the police and just luckily are trickeling down to the rest of us? I'm intriqued. Looks like Extrmeist and Dr. Lunde could consider adding more information on the P99 FAQ Re: TA and get to the bottom of this

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the TA was only made for the German Police Trials. Since it lost, it was never produced commercially.

Walther apparently incorporated some of the features into the redesigned 2004 P99 models (ambi slide release, more universal accessories rail).

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Extremist, I do not wish to question your knowledge on the TA however I disagree. I am basing my opinion on the pictures provided on your web page for the 2002 German Police trial P99DA. The pictures have different markings than the TA. The larger decocker is not visible in the 2002 P99DA, yet is clearly visible on the TA. Last but not least, if the TA was a prototype model only, how on earth is it available on the civilian market for sale? I'm still awaiting a full page layout and update on the P99 FAQ, otherwise I'll lose a lot of sleep ;) Besides what happened to your confederate, Dr. Lunde, he's been awful quiety lately. By the way, thanks for the great information.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ay329 @ Dec. 26 2004,6:18)]Extremist, I do not wish to question your knowledge on the TA however I disagree. I am basing my opinion on the pictures provided on your web page for the 2002 German Police trial P99DA. The pictures have different markings than the TA. The larger decocker is not visible in the 2002 P99DA, yet is clearly visible on the TA. Last but not least, if the TA was a prototype model only, how on earth is it available on the civilian market for sale? I'm still awaiting a full page layout and update on the P99 FAQ, otherwise I'll lose a lot of sleep ;) Besides what happened to your confederate, Dr. Lunde, he's been awful quiety lately. By the way, thanks for the great information.
P99DA and P99TA were pistols from DIFFERENT Police pistol trials.

As for how it is for sale on the civilian market - just like the P7M13s that were trial pistols for the US Military Pistol trials done in the mid 80's that show up in civilian hands (Bo has several of these on his website Bo's P7M13 Collection), they make their way into the market via former employees, military people or - well, I could tell you but ....

I'll get more info on the P99TA pistol trials and post it here.

James

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the article on the P99 TA and will be putting up a web page dedicated to it. I was incorrect - it is actually a DA/SA variant. Fully ambidextrous, with ambi slide release and decocker.

I have also sent a note to the seller in Germany to see if I can purchase one, and then import it via my FFL dealer with the proper forms.

Wish me luck

James

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, after hours of hard work
the new P99TA information is up.

Check out My Walther Fan Page

Regards,
James

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are all available hi-res. Click on the "Large" link under each pic.

James

·
Registered
146 Posts
Extremist, thanks for the info on your site.
Sorry for nagging. I am trying to read page 28 in the high res pic, but when i hit on larger, i get another page instead of the 28.

Is interesting that the Police, unlike the Bundeswehr is requesting in its "Technische Richtlinie" that the gun must have only internal safety devices and no levers of any kind. That left out all USP H&K and Berettas. I think I understand in the article, that also, German police is asking for some "anti-Stress" trigger for a couple years. At least, it seems to be included in the above mentioned document document

Well back to reading to try to learn if they mention why the P2000 won.

regards

Hector

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found out from Ken Lunde, from his conversation with one of the designers of the P99, that the "TA" actually stood for "Traditional Action". This means that it is a traditional SA/DA pistol, WITHOUT the "anti-stress" feature. So when the striker is cocked, the trigger is in the rear-ward position. There is no click to move the trigger from forward position to the rearward position before firing.

Regards,
James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts