Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Walther PPK/S from gunbroker just recently. It comes in a matte blue which is rare because I tried to search to see if I can find another one like it online but wasn’t able to find anything. It came with aftermarket wooden grips that I replaced with white pearl plastic grips. According to the seller the dye wasn’t reapplied to the gun and that it appeared to be the guns originally color. I also tried to locate the guns manufacturing date by looking up the serial number. The serial number starts with 003. Any help or any information would be appreciated. I am including a picture of the gun.
Trigger Air gun Wood Grey Revolver

Attachments

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I'm guessing it's a re-finish job. Never seen a matte finish PPK that wasn't. In fact, I've never seen a PPK with a matte finish, ever.

Probably a Cerakote finish. Close up photos of the roll marks on the slide would be helpful.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’ve seen a lot of ppk and ppk/s pictures and have yet to see a matte one. Somehow this one reminds me of a Black-T coating. Pic below is a P7-PSP in Black-T.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing it's a re-finish job. Never seen a matte finish PPK that wasn't. In fact, I've never seen a PPK with a matte finish, ever.

Probably a Cerakote finish. Close up photos of the roll marks on the slide would be helpful.
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
It’s a coating of some sort inside out, including barrel and recoil spring. That’s how it’s normally done like Black-T.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
This PPK/S has undoubtedly been reworked. This can be said when looking at the frame through the ejection port. The grip plates seem to be standard black grip plates that have been sprayed with white paint.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
The grip plates seem to be standard black grip plates that have been sprayed with white paint.
I think you're right. At first glance the grips looked to me like they might have been Franzite, but on closer inspection I can see where some of the paint has worn off exposing the black plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. I don’t know if the coating is helpful or if it will depreciate the gun value

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you're right. At first glance the grips looked to me like they might have been Franzite, but on closer inspection I can see where some of the paint has worn off exposing the black plastic.
I bought the grips on ebay they’re supposed to be pearl white.
Font Plastic Rectangle Flooring Plumbing
The gun came with laminated wood grips

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
@Ethetoy
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lots of very knowledgeable folks here and all are willing to help. I'm diggin' the matte refinish. To me, it looks like Cerakote. May have given a finish-worn pistol a facelift and a new lease on life. As @Angry Hippo stated, a refinish almost certainly depreciates the value but I really wouldn't worry about that too much. It's a nice pistol so enjoy it. It makes for a great carry piece. Ask me how I know . 😉However, please, for the love of God, man, get rid of those (gulp) grips and put the black plastic or wood grips back on it! ! Take those to a town far away from your own, wear dark glasses, a wide brimmed hat pulled down low, a full length trench coat, and discretely dump them in a public trash can out back of a Goodwill or something to forever rid the world of ever seeing them again. LOL! 😂
Just kidding on you, buddy. If you like them then that's all that counts...:rolleyes:
Welcome 😊

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Is that good for the gun?
See post # 12. But, if you like it, that’s all that matters. The seller should have disclosed that to you by the way. I am a big fan of these pistols; I have 10 currently and most often, one is on my hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts