Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

**Before I get scolded for posting this - when I search on the term FTF within the PPQ forum, I get ZERO results (Obviously something is wrong b/c I see that term in many posts)**

With that said, I have an M2 PPQ9 that I bought brand new about 2 months ago. I have put about 5-600 trouble free rounds through it.

Last weekend I was at the range and was nearing the end of my session so I started doing some rapid fire shooting, and I experienced MULTIPLE instances of FTF. The round would just be sitting at the bottom of the ramp and the slide would lock open. This happened consistently after 2 rapid-fire shots.

RAPIDSHOT > RAPIDSHOT > FTF/Slide lock open.

I would release the slide by pulling back on it (Not by use of the lever) and it would load the errant round normally. And then it would happen again:

RAPIDSHOT > RAPIDSHOT > FTF/Slide lock open.

This happened 5-6 times. I reloaded the same magazine and it continued to happen until I reached the last 6-7 rounds of the mag, they all fired without error.

A few things:
This was cheap, Federal 115 gr. FMJ rounds purchased at Walmart right before my range session.

I wont rule out some sort of operator error but I was not limp-wristing anything.

I wont disregard that my Q might technically still be considered to be in the break-in period.. ) Round total is now about 700 rounds fired)

I am fanatical about cleaning my guns and keeping them properly oiled.

I am just looking for suggestions as to what might be the culprit/what I can do to prevent recurrence - if anyone has any theories. I have already emailed Walther and am waiting on their response.

The ONLY thing out of the ordinary is that I did pull the striker assembly apart prior to this range session. I don't think this was the cause though, as I reassembled it correctly and it works as it should.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This was cheap, Federal 115 gr. FMJ rounds purchased at Walmart right before my range session.
Federal Champion from Walmart is probably the lowest powered 9MM ammo one can buy, it is cheap for a reason but generally works fine for range practice.

Try a different ammo. I suggest brass cased Speer Lawman or Federal American Eagle as both are high quality ball ammo with more oomph. I would stay away from UMC and Winchester White Box while trying to resolve a problem with your PPQ. If you have any high quality SD ammo on hand such as Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST you could try that also.

Reactions: applejackson

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts
^^^^^ I agree. Stop buying the 'cheap 8hit'....you usually get what you pay for. Spend a little more and be happy.

Or you could keep shooting the cheap stuff and try a recoil spring assembly (red) out of a 5" PPQ 9mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Applejackson, I don't think it was ammo related as you it sounds like the slide was actually locking back, I think your grip was allowing your thumb to put enough upward pressure on the slide lock to engage it.......adjust your grip and try again, rapid firing requires a tighter grip than slow fire

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I would release the slide by pulling back on it (Not by use of the lever) and it would load the errant round normally. And then it would happen again:
I agree with rusty502.

What I believe you are describing is pretty common for people who shoot with a thumbs-forward grip, and who are not used to shooting pistols with elongated slide release levers.

Try shooting with a thumbs-down grip for a few mags and see if the problem persists. If it does not, then I'd suggest either changing the position of your thumbs, or modifying the slide release lever.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Applejackson, I don't think it was ammo related as you it sounds like the slide was actually locking back, I think your grip was allowing your thumb to put enough upward pressure on the slide lock to engage it.......adjust your grip and try again, rapid firing requires a tighter grip than slow fire
Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Isn't this also a symptom of limp-wristing? I thought I'd heard this type of FTF as possibly caused by a looser grip on the firearm. Sorry if I have my info incorrect!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Thanks all. I usually do not buy this cheapest ammo, so definitely could be but I am more inclined to think it may be grip related. I appreciate the suggestions and will experiment with my grip to see if it continues. It was just weird as it has never happened before, not even once, and then Bam! 5-6 times consistently.
Kazz - I appreciate you weighing in but it is not limp wristing - I can assure you of that.

Anyway - thanks to all who answered.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Applejackson You can find my thread about my failure to fire issues with my two ppqs 5" after 1000 no problem rounds. Now both guns are in Germany and they trying to figure out what is going wrong with them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I started this thread at work. I got home and gripped my PPQ and I think these guys are on to something with my grip and the elongated slide release lever. I can totally see the potential for that to be the cause and it is my first gun with that long release lever on it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hope that does the trick. Belated welcome to the forum. Ever get over to OGC?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The only things I would change on the ppq are the elongated slide release levers and the sights. Then in my opinion it would be the perfect pistol. I've had the same user induced malfunction with my m2 40 when I first shot it. I had to alter my grip since I was use to shooting glocks and m&p's. I found a hold that now works with whatever I shoot. Several mag dumps and triple taps later I haven't had the slide lock open since.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the opposite issue with my grip if I don't pay attention to it I ride the slide release and the slide won't lock back. I agree the lever is just too damn big!

Sent from my iPhone 6 + using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have the opposite issue with my grip if I don't pay attention to it I ride the slide release and the slide won't lock back. I agree the lever is just too damn big!
Same here but typically that is with my SIG SP2022 or HK VP9 and I think that is by far the most common result of bumping the slide release lever with the thumbs forward grip.

However it makes sense that this is also probably the issue with the OP applejackson but pushing upward on the slide release lever with his grip.

I have tried modifying my grip but accuracy suffered so I don't even try anymore. I have never had such an issue with my HK P30LS, any of my metal frame SIGs, my Walther PPS, or my Glock 19.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ MillerMpls - OGC

@ MillerMpls - No, I have not but have always meant to check it out since I grew up in that area and went to highschool in Oakdale.
Usually I go to Bill's in Hudson or Shoreview, or Burnsville Range. I got my carry permit training at a new range in Rogers, MN that is fantastic. Really nice people running it and it is brand new - it's called Target Sports, MN and it's worth the extra drive IMO. Take care!

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
I got home and gripped my PPQ and I think these guys are on to something with my grip and the elongated slide release lever. I can totally see the potential for that to be the cause and it is my first gun with that long release lever on it.
Glad you are willing to consider that...Many times folks can have issues with the long slide release...a slight grip adjustment is usually all that is needed to solve the issue.

Reactions: applejackson

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Solved

To the guys who suggested it was an issue with my grip and not with the gun itself - you were on the money. I snuck in a quick range trip over the weekend. I altered my grip a bit to keep my thumb well away from the slide-release lever and the pistol performed perfectly. I should have went back to the old way to see if I could make it happen using my normal grip - and I didn't do that, but still, I have seen enough to know that that WAS the cause - grip. This new grip feels awkward as hell, but I will adapt.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
This new grip feels awkward as hell, but I will adapt.
Thanks all.
After a few hundred rounds you'll never notice anything except how quickly and accurately you are shooting.

Glad that your problem is solved!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts