Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A retired police officer friend of mine and I were discussing the 40 caliber pistol. We both agreed its use was now being taken over by the 9MM as a police pistol. In fact, a trainer for the Houston Police Dept told me that 50% of the HPD had gone to the 9mm since it was now allowed. He even commented to me that he could not believe he had beaten himself up with the 40 all those years.
Anyway my friend was telling me what a good stopper that caliber was and still is. Yes the 9mm has been souped up; but a rising tide raises all boats. So i got all pumped up and I fished my 40 caliber PPQ M 2 out of the safe and went to the indoor range.
OUCH! That pistol's recoil actually hurt my strong hand at the web between my thumb and forefinger. It hurt a lot! It took only 50 rounds to convince me to finish the visit with my P 99 in 9mm.
OK so I am wimp; but next time I go to the range with a 40 it will be either the HK USP FS in 40 ( which was designed to give a 30% reduction in recoil); or the Glock 22 which I think will hurt also.
Ok so I am a wimp; but I do not think the PPQ was designed to be a 40 cal. What say you?

·
Premium Member
13,880 Posts
All I can say is, I had my daughter put 50 rounds thru one of my PPQ's, equipped with a .357 Sig barrel.

What do I carry? A 9mm. :p

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 9mm has had a varied history in the US. First time I ever shot a 9mm was a war trophy P-38 my cousin had somehow traded for. We went through a box of Remington ball ammo in short order. Next time I visited, I asked him about the P-38 and he told me he sold it because another box of ammo was too expensive. This is 50+ years ago and was my initial experience with 9mm.

The vast consensus of thinking was that the 9mm was pretty anemic and not capable of very fine accuracy. Most 9mm's were surplus, you could order a Colt 1911 in 9mmm but I never saw one or knew anyone who bought one. S&W had a couple they tried to sell into police markets with little success.

Big change came in the 80's when Walther P5's and H&K 9mm/.45's hit the market. Gun magazines at the time were full of astonished stories of how accurate and reliable these guns were. However, the Walthers carried a retail price north of $1000 back then so no departments would likely adopt them. It was only when the Glocks appeared that police agencies made widespread migration to autos and 9's. Walther and H&K proved they would work, but Glock cashed in.

I remain dubious of the 9mm. I like them well enough as a range gun but all the horror stories I was exposed to put the permanent seed of doubt in my mind. The .40's just seemed like half-assed .45's for people who had commitment issues.

To this day, my carry gun is a very light revolver chambered in .44 Spl. Recoil is prodigious but I grew up when you just figured it was something you had to learn to deal with.

I still recall the story of someone asking as Texas Ranger about his handgun. He told them it was a .45 and when asked why he carried such a "big gun", he replied "Because they don't make a .46"

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
The 9mm has had a varied history in the US. First time I ever shot a 9mm was a war trophy P-38 my cousin had somehow traded for. We went through a box of Remington ball ammo in short order. Next time I visited, I asked him about the P-38 and he told me he sold it because another box of ammo was too expensive. This is 50+ years ago and was my initial experience with 9mm.

The vast consensus of thinking was that the 9mm was pretty anemic and not capable of very fine accuracy. Most 9mm's were surplus, you could order a Colt 1911 in 9mmm but I never saw one or knew anyone who bought one. S&W had a couple they tried to sell into police markets with little success.

Big change came in the 80's when Walther P5's and H&K 9mm/.45's hit the market. Gun magazines at the time were full of astonished stories of how accurate and reliable these guns were. However, the Walthers carried a retail price north of $1000 back then so no departments would likely adopt them. It was only when the Glocks appeared that police agencies made widespread migration to autos and 9's. Walther and H&K proved they would work, but Glock cashed in.

I remain dubious of the 9mm. I like them well enough as a range gun but all the horror stories I was exposed to put the permanent seed of doubt in my mind. The .40's just seemed like half-assed .45's for people who had commitment issues.

To this day, my carry gun is a very light revolver chambered in .44 Spl. Recoil is prodigious but I grew up when you just figured it was something you had to learn to deal with.

I still recall the story of someone asking as Texas Ranger about his handgun. He told them it was a .45 and when asked why he carried such a "big gun", he replied "Because they don't make a .46"
The current theory is all common handgun "service" calibers are marginal. Following that theory, you better be prepared to place rounds on target where you want to and be prepared to place multiple shots if you.need to.

That's the current theory. In a few years, we may see a different theory take hold but that is the current thinking.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I still like 40sw and shoot it very often, my carry gun is a PPS chambered in 40sw so yeah I definitely prefer that round. While most people think I’m a sick bastard for carrying that round in a subcompact after I let them shoot it 😬 I enjoy shooting it.

Since I shoot my PPS so much my 5” PPQ in 40sw is a dream to shoot and doesn’t bother me much at all anymore. I won’t BS you either I do shoot my 5” PPQ in 9mm better, but not by much. Shooting my 40 Q has helped me tremendously with shooting my 9mm Q.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 5" PPQ M2 and P99AS are both chambered in .40 S&W, as are the majority of the semiautos in my collection. Those guns only get fed a diet of my reduced-power subsonic 155 gr. target handloads, so the recoil is completely tolerable, even pleasant. Accuracy is spectacular, especially with the PPQ M2, which will hold a sub-3" offhand group at 25 yards.

A shooting buddy once handed me some leftover 180 gr. rounds of .40 S&W commercial ammo (green and white box, so I'm thinking Remington) to put through my PPQ M2, which I did. The recoil was harsh and unenjoyable, and made me appreciate my handloads ever more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love the 40. learn to control recoil. lots of good vids out there on how to do it. i never shoot 180 grain. I use Underwood 135 and 155 grain ammo. Very easy shooting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I suppose that I will never quite understand the turn that many folks have made against the 40S&W and to the 9mm. I absolutely love the 40S&W, in the same way that I absolutely love most pistol calibers, including the 9mm. When all things are equal (same bullet tech & same powder type), and SAAMI specs are followed, the 40S&W usually enjoys about 100ft/lbs of muzzle energy advantage over the 9mm, which is usually a good thing.

The part that I don't quite understand is that folks give such high praise about the low-recoil and manageability of the 9mm, but then go on to proclaim that it has had great advancements. Any advancements in the 9mm bullet's metallurgy or construction are not exclusive to that caliber, and are also utilized by every other pistol caliber by that bullet manufacturer. The only other area that can then be improved is in the powder chemistry and volume. This brings me to my point... When people talk about performance advancements in the 9mm cartridge when compared to the 40S&W, they are most generally talking about the +P and +P+ variants of that cartridge that allow it to match or exceed the muzzle energy of the 40S&W. What else is gained from this performance increase? You guessed it! Higher recoil and less manageability. In other words, you have just created a smaller diameter version of the 40S&W, that the same folks are telling us should just go away.

Can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My son has a P99 in .40 and though I can shoot it vary accurately it is no doubt snappy compared to the 9MM for me and he went out and bought a 9MM conversion barrel for his P99 AS and enjoys shooting it much more in 9MM. The P99 and PPQ are light pistols so no surprise they feel snappy in .40 to many of us. My only .40 is my SIG P229, which was designed for the .40/.357 SIG, and which tames the round very well and my P229 is a pleasure to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Nothing wrong with the .40. It's harder on guns and hands than the 9mm, but if you enjoy shooting it, go for it. If you feel it gives you a stopping power edge, go for it.

I personally subscribe to the theory that all service handgun calibers are marginal. To me that means being able to place multiple shots rapidly on the spot I want to hit. That is slightly easier for me to do with the 9mm compared to the .40cal.

We place our bets and take our chances.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nothing wrong with the .40. It's harder on guns and hands than the 9mm, but if you enjoy shooting it, go for it. If you feel it gives you a stopping power edge, go for it.

I personally subscribe to the theory that all service handgun calibers are marginal. To me that means being able to place multiple shots rapidly on the spot I want to hit. That is slightly easier for me to do with the 9mm compared to the .40cal.

We place our bets and take our chances.
I agree totally. Your point is a proven one. What I do not fully agree with is the "marginal difference” part. Pure physics produce the truth that a 155 grain .40 inch projectile moving at 1300 feet per second is apx. 35% more foot pounds of energy than a 147grain .356 inch projectile moving at 1100 feet per second. That is the upper end nfor both projectiles. Look at Underwood and Buffalo bore ammo numbers. Thats only one example. I have done shots on windshields and car doors and find that 100 percent effective results with the .40S&W, and not so good results with 9mm. Should you need “more penetration" in a scenario like that, I would definitely take the .40 S&W over the 9mm. I shoot 44 magnum in my Ruger and Smith on a monthly basis. I train with it and it helps me understand and train for recoil. I think we have become a society of easy and painlessness. I read and hear that all the time. You only need 1 second longer to get back on target with a .40 S&W than with a 9mm. In my Sig p226, the recoil is very minimal. In a carry gun It is more apparent. I carry a Kahr PM9 and a P40 both with two extra mags. I have carried my K40 as well. The K40 shoots more easily than my pm9. It’s a matter of finding your own personal limits, but if you don’t train, you will never reach new higher limits.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
We all place our bet and take our chances.

Sounds like you feel the .40 gives you an edge. I'm sure there are scenarios where it does.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most gun shot wounds are non lethal from handguns no matter what the caliber. People get shot every day and survive....

Carry on gentlemen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I suppose that I will never quite understand the turn that many folks have made against the 40S&W and to the 9mm. I absolutely love the 40S&W, in the same way that I absolutely love most pistol calibers, including the 9mm. When all things are equal (same bullet tech & same powder type), and SAAMI specs are followed, the 40S&W usually enjoys about 100ft/lbs of muzzle energy advantage over the 9mm, which is usually a good thing.

The part that I don't quite understand is that folks give such high praise about the low-recoil and manageability of the 9mm, but then go on to proclaim that it has had great advancements. Any advancements in the 9mm bullet's metallurgy or construction are not exclusive to that caliber, and are also utilized by every other pistol caliber by that bullet manufacturer. The only other area that can then be improved is in the powder chemistry and volume. This brings me to my point... When people talk about performance advancements in the 9mm cartridge when compared to the 40S&W, they are most generally talking about the +P and +P+ variants of that cartridge that allow it to match or exceed the muzzle energy of the 40S&W. What else is gained from this performance increase? You guessed it! Higher recoil and less manageability. In other words, you have just created a smaller diameter version of the 40S&W, that the same folks are telling us should just go away.

Can't we all just get along?
Sorry to say this on a public forum. What is it that makes people go after and want to destroy something? Because they feel inferior to what they are attacking. I could see if they just said “I prefer" the 9mm over the 40, and let it go, but it is an all out assult and an attack on the most ever used caliber for police and military. More untrue things have been published about the 40 S&W than any other caliber in history. Guys get downright nasty about it. Most things on forums and some things in edited articles are so untrue that it makes me think someone has an ajenda to get rid of this great caliber. Fact : You can never, ever max out a 9mm to preform like a maxed out 40 S&W. A myth buster: Read, fire, and test Underwood, Buffalo Bore and Federal’s ammo and you can clearly and easily see the 9 is in no way as viable a caliber as a 40 S&W. It is just the plain and simple truth. Car door test and windshield tests show that the 40 S&W out performs the 9mm. I love the 9mm. Carry it most of the time. But I carry the 40 S&W , in the woods, in my truck when I travel, and on my nightstand. I think most guys feel intimidated by the 40 S&W and don’t feel manly if it is used by the ladies that do carry and train with it. Yes ladies shoot and train with the 40 S&W. My sister loves to shoot her hubby’s 44 magnum 629 at the range. She knows how to handle/manage recoil. She also carries a 40 S&W some of the time. I don’t care if you don’t like a certain caliber, but ask yourself why it is so important for you to bash it and pass on untrue things said about it. Please leave my 40 S&W alone. Shoot and love your 9mm. I won’t try to destroy it. Please do the same for those of us that feel the same way about the 40 S&W. Could it be that we are a nation of “new rookie”gun owners, that have the internet platform to say what “feels” nicer to shoot? Remember I said this: I love all calibers, but shoot those I can easily handle. My max manly caliber in a handgun is the 44 magnum. I don’t prefer the 454 Casull, 460 S&W, or the 500 S&W. At my age, they are a bit too much for me to handle, BUT they are great calibers capable of killing grizzly and even polar bears in the hands of those that can handle and use them.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
What the heck are you talking about? I see nobody attacking you on this forum.

You are pretty new on the forum. Nobody is attacking you here as far as i can tell. Take it easy and enjoy your stay.

Shoot whatever you like and feel comfortable with.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What the heck are you talking about? I see nobody attacking you on this forum.

You are pretty new on the forum. Nobody is attacking you here as far as i can tell. Take it easy and enjoy your stay.

Shoot whatever you like and feel comfortable with.

Have a good day.
Calm down a bit and read. I never said attacking me lol. I clearly said “the 40 S&W". i may be new to you but i have been hunting and shooting for over 45 years. A forum is where wev express our opinions lol. And you as well, enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Calm down a bit and read. I never said attacking me lol. I clearly said “the 40 S&W". i may be new to you but i have been hunting and shooting for over 45 years. A forum is where wev express our opinions lol. And you as well, enjoy your stay.
And I Quote”” but it is an all out assult and an attack on the most ever used caliber for police and military. More untrue things have been published about the 40 S&W than any other caliber in history. Guys get downright nasty about it.” Sometimes we forget to comprehend what we read. Thats Ok, it happens to all of us. Enjoy the forum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts