Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A retired police officer friend of mine and I were discussing the 40 caliber pistol. We both agreed its use was now being taken over by the 9MM as a police pistol. In fact, a trainer for the Houston Police Dept told me that 50% of the HPD had gone to the 9mm since it was now allowed. He even commented to me that he could not believe he had beaten himself up with the 40 all those years.
Anyway my friend was telling me what a good stopper that caliber was and still is. Yes the 9mm has been souped up; but a rising tide raises all boats. So i got all pumped up and I fished my 40 caliber PPQ M 2 out of the safe and went to the indoor range.
OUCH! That pistol's recoil actually hurt my strong hand at the web between my thumb and forefinger. It hurt a lot! It took only 50 rounds to convince me to finish the visit with my P 99 in 9mm.
OK so I am wimp; but next time I go to the range with a 40 it will be either the HK USP FS in 40 ( which was designed to give a 30% reduction in recoil); or the Glock 22 which I think will hurt also.
Ok so I am a wimp; but I do not think the PPQ was designed to be a 40 cal. What say you?

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
All I can say is, I had my daughter put 50 rounds thru one of my PPQ's, equipped with a .357 Sig barrel.

What do I carry? A 9mm. :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 9mm has had a varied history in the US. First time I ever shot a 9mm was a war trophy P-38 my cousin had somehow traded for. We went through a box of Remington ball ammo in short order. Next time I visited, I asked him about the P-38 and he told me he sold it because another box of ammo was too expensive. This is 50+ years ago and was my initial experience with 9mm.

The vast consensus of thinking was that the 9mm was pretty anemic and not capable of very fine accuracy. Most 9mm's were surplus, you could order a Colt 1911 in 9mmm but I never saw one or knew anyone who bought one. S&W had a couple they tried to sell into police markets with little success.

Big change came in the 80's when Walther P5's and H&K 9mm/.45's hit the market. Gun magazines at the time were full of astonished stories of how accurate and reliable these guns were. However, the Walthers carried a retail price north of $1000 back then so no departments would likely adopt them. It was only when the Glocks appeared that police agencies made widespread migration to autos and 9's. Walther and H&K proved they would work, but Glock cashed in.

I remain dubious of the 9mm. I like them well enough as a range gun but all the horror stories I was exposed to put the permanent seed of doubt in my mind. The .40's just seemed like half-assed .45's for people who had commitment issues.

To this day, my carry gun is a very light revolver chambered in .44 Spl. Recoil is prodigious but I grew up when you just figured it was something you had to learn to deal with.

I still recall the story of someone asking as Texas Ranger about his handgun. He told them it was a .45 and when asked why he carried such a "big gun", he replied "Because they don't make a .46"

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
The 9mm has had a varied history in the US. First time I ever shot a 9mm was a war trophy P-38 my cousin had somehow traded for. We went through a box of Remington ball ammo in short order. Next time I visited, I asked him about the P-38 and he told me he sold it because another box of ammo was too expensive. This is 50+ years ago and was my initial experience with 9mm.

The vast consensus of thinking was that the 9mm was pretty anemic and not capable of very fine accuracy. Most 9mm's were surplus, you could order a Colt 1911 in 9mmm but I never saw one or knew anyone who bought one. S&W had a couple they tried to sell into police markets with little success.

Big change came in the 80's when Walther P5's and H&K 9mm/.45's hit the market. Gun magazines at the time were full of astonished stories of how accurate and reliable these guns were. However, the Walthers carried a retail price north of $1000 back then so no departments would likely adopt them. It was only when the Glocks appeared that police agencies made widespread migration to autos and 9's. Walther and H&K proved they would work, but Glock cashed in.

I remain dubious of the 9mm. I like them well enough as a range gun but all the horror stories I was exposed to put the permanent seed of doubt in my mind. The .40's just seemed like half-assed .45's for people who had commitment issues.

To this day, my carry gun is a very light revolver chambered in .44 Spl. Recoil is prodigious but I grew up when you just figured it was something you had to learn to deal with.

I still recall the story of someone asking as Texas Ranger about his handgun. He told them it was a .45 and when asked why he carried such a "big gun", he replied "Because they don't make a .46"
The current theory is all common handgun "service" calibers are marginal. Following that theory, you better be prepared to place rounds on target where you want to and be prepared to place multiple shots if you.need to.

That's the current theory. In a few years, we may see a different theory take hold but that is the current thinking.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I still like 40sw and shoot it very often, my carry gun is a PPS chambered in 40sw so yeah I definitely prefer that round. While most people think I’m a sick bastard for carrying that round in a subcompact after I let them shoot it 😬 I enjoy shooting it.

Since I shoot my PPS so much my 5” PPQ in 40sw is a dream to shoot and doesn’t bother me much at all anymore. I won’t BS you either I do shoot my 5” PPQ in 9mm better, but not by much. Shooting my 40 Q has helped me tremendously with shooting my 9mm Q.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 5" PPQ M2 and P99AS are both chambered in .40 S&W, as are the majority of the semiautos in my collection. Those guns only get fed a diet of my reduced-power subsonic 155 gr. target handloads, so the recoil is completely tolerable, even pleasant. Accuracy is spectacular, especially with the PPQ M2, which will hold a sub-3" offhand group at 25 yards.

A shooting buddy once handed me some leftover 180 gr. rounds of .40 S&W commercial ammo (green and white box, so I'm thinking Remington) to put through my PPQ M2, which I did. The recoil was harsh and unenjoyable, and made me appreciate my handloads ever more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Love the 40. learn to control recoil. lots of good vids out there on how to do it. i never shoot 180 grain. I use Underwood 135 and 155 grain ammo. Very easy shooting.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suppose that I will never quite understand the turn that many folks have made against the 40S&W and to the 9mm. I absolutely love the 40S&W, in the same way that I absolutely love most pistol calibers, including the 9mm. When all things are equal (same bullet tech & same powder type), and SAAMI specs are followed, the 40S&W usually enjoys about 100ft/lbs of muzzle energy advantage over the 9mm, which is usually a good thing.

The part that I don't quite understand is that folks give such high praise about the low-recoil and manageability of the 9mm, but then go on to proclaim that it has had great advancements. Any advancements in the 9mm bullet's metallurgy or construction are not exclusive to that caliber, and are also utilized by every other pistol caliber by that bullet manufacturer. The only other area that can then be improved is in the powder chemistry and volume. This brings me to my point... When people talk about performance advancements in the 9mm cartridge when compared to the 40S&W, they are most generally talking about the +P and +P+ variants of that cartridge that allow it to match or exceed the muzzle energy of the 40S&W. What else is gained from this performance increase? You guessed it! Higher recoil and less manageability. In other words, you have just created a smaller diameter version of the 40S&W, that the same folks are telling us should just go away.

Can't we all just get along?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts