Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new P99c in 40 S&W with mepro night sights in. I've had a P99c in 9mm for a while but haven't been in love with it. The 40 S&W is perfect though! :D I warmed up with 100 rounds of WWB FMJ practice ammo through it with one light strike / bad primer which fired on the second strike. Then on to the main course which was 200 rounds of 155 gr DoubleTap HP. One bad primer out of them that took 7 strikes to fire. It fed every round flawlessly which beats the 9mm. Surprisingly, the recoil was nowhere near what I was expecting from all the impressions I've been reading. It really wasn't all that objectionable.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Glad you like your .40...

Did I read this correctly or am I inferring something into your statement?
It fed every round flawlessly which beats the 9mm.
Did you have trouble with you p99c in 9mm? I find that somewhat surprising. I have one and it has be flawless right out of the box since day one....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have trouble with you p99c in 9mm? I find that somewhat surprising. I have one and it has be flawless right out of the box since day one....
Wish I could say the same. My 9mm runs great with FMJ practice ammo, completely reliable. I tried it with 400 rounds of DoubleTap 124 grain and it would jam at least once within 2 mags and often more. I had about 1500 rounds of the DoubleTap 124 grain sitting around since it works great with my other 9 mm's. I didn't want to stock up another load just for one gun so I wound up using EFMJ which worked but wasn't really a great solution because of the cost and my preference for JHP. Otherwise it was a very impressive gun. I loved the form factor and the accuracy. This was one of the reasons for getting the 40 S&W, the 9mm was very, very close to what I wanted but not quite there. I liked it enough to give it another chance though. Any suggestions on improving the feeding of the 9mm would be most welcome.

I'm surprised you had 2 bad primers in 300 rounds of factory ammo. This has only happened to me with .22s, not once in thousands of .40.
I've been having a bad run lately. Seems like I've been seeing bad primers in the Winchester White Box 38 caliber. Still trying to definitely pin it to either the ammo or the guns but I've been seeing a lot of bad primers in the three 38's I have been shooting with lately. Never had the problem in 40 S&W with my Glocks though. I'd usually go through around 400-500 rounds per range trip and it would be a number of range trips before I would see a faulty primer. I'm going to be taking it back to the range to try it out with 165 grain JHP this weekend though so it'll be interesting to see if this is a trend or an isolated blip.

·
Registered
162 Posts
GPalmer,

Is your P99 9mm a new gun or did you buy used? If used, it may have some alterations to springs which would account for the FTF. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GPalmer,

Is your P99 9mm a new gun or did you buy used? If used, it may have some alterations to springs which would account for the FTF. :)
That's an interesting conjecture. It was supposedly all original but I was the third owner of it so I wouldn't place a lot of stock in that being correct. Probably worth the money to make sure the springs are stock. Even if I sell it, I want to make sure it is in good condition.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, and I have a bridge that goes over the East River for sale here in KY....:rolleyes:
OK, now I understand you! I didn't quite catch your meaning the first time around. Being the third owner might be correct, I'd guess most likely it is. I had the original bill of sale with the original purchaser's name, it was dated three months before I bought the pistol and the original owner did want to buy it back. The original purchaser and I wound up chatting a bit and he had sold it to the gentleman I bought it from about 4 weeks before I bought it. As far as being all original, well, let's leave it at I have no evidence to support that other than the word of the second owner and since it was in response to me asking if it was all stock some reason to suspect the answer might have been "fudged."

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from the range trip. Ran 200 rounds of DoubleTap 165 gr through it. Absolutely flawless feeding. I'm getting to like this thing! :D

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Just got back from the range trip. Ran 200 rounds of DoubleTap 165 gr through it. Absolutely flawless feeding. I'm getting to like this thing! :D
I am glad you are enjoying your P99c AS in .40. For quite a while, they were difficult to obtain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts