Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my many Walther's [Q5, Navy, PPS M2, PPQ SC], but after reading so much news on the new Sig P365, I've been intrigued enough to want to try one out. So happens my local indoor range had one available this month as a rental, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to compare it to my PPS M2 and my PPQ SC. I had to buy some RBS 115gr FMJ range ammo to run in it, and I used that to load into my Walthers for the best comparisons.
I did not try to do any ammo and accuracy testing, or reliability evaluations on the P365 (pic 1). The range didn't know the round count on this gun, or the date of manufacture, let alone the last time it was cleaned and lubed - looking at pic 2 of the barrel chamber, the words "probably never" might come to mind...
I was just looking to see generally "how it shoots" in comparison to my Walthers, back to back. So I loaded the Sig's 12 round mag [the only one it came with], and my PPS's 8 rd and SC 10 rd mags, and lined them up in different ways to compare size. (Pic 3). The P365 is very close to the same thickness as PPS, and has about a 1/2" shorter length (pic 4, 5). As you can see from these pics, the SC is the bigger gun in all dimensions, the P365 the smallest.

When I first grabbed the P365, I was impressed by how well it felt in my hand. Has a very natural grip and is well-balanced with a full mag - the Walthers felt a little top (slide) heavy in comparison. I still prefer the Walther's more "anatomical" grips, but I'm a person who likes thicker grips in general. That said, I found the Sig grip to be perfectly sized for it, and I wasn't left wanting more for comfort or control during firing.
The Sig night sights were adequate, but ended up looking pretty dim in the muted light of the range, and the tritium dots are pretty small. Probably much better in the dark. The Walther's LE sights have much bigger dots and were easier to pick up for me, but I'm also very used to those. Personally, I'd put the new tritium "speed sights" on all of them... if I could..

The trigger on the P365 was very nice. One of my favorite things about it. Actually, its first take up stage is very close to how how the PPS feels in weight and travel, but a little rougher. The Sig's break after that was very clean and short, with little overtravel. The PPS has a noticeably longer, "softer" break with more overtravel in comparison. The SC break felt about 1/2 way in between those two. I still preferred the 2 stage SC trigger overall in this line up. That said, for a deep cover gun, the Sig's trigger feels nearly perfect to me, and its break can't be beat. I think if one properly cleaned and lubed the Sig trigger (like my Walthers were), I'm sure it would smooth out and clean up even more.

Shooting impressions:

I set up my target at 10 yards, and took 2 or 3 shots from each weapon (P365, PPS, then the SC), one after the other relatively quickly, using the same ammo in each. I did this 4 times in a row (until the PPS ran out of ammo) - reloaded, and started again, mixing the order. I went through about 5 reloads of my PPS this way. The differences were obvious in the first 2 shots from each gun, but I just kept going to see if my first impressions held. They did.

As many others have reported, the Sig is a freakin blast to shoot. Very controllable for a little gun, and easy to stay on target. I thought its recoil response was noticeably different from the Walthers - a little sharper rearward force, but a little less muzzle rise. The Walthers had a softer feeling recoil response, with slightly more rise. I call it a draw. I enjoyed firing all of them.

I can easily see why some people really like the P365. If there were no questions about reliability (which I can't legitimately opine about..), this would be an excellent gun to consider for CC. And yes, I did have several malfunctions with the Sig during my evaluation. Over several mags, I had two FTF [trigger goes click, but no boom..], two failure to lock back with last round, and one fail to return to battery. I think all of these could be explained by the lack of maintenance and lube of the rental, or because this gun was an earlier "pre-factory fixed" version, or both... I just don't know. I can't blame the ammo, since it cycled fine with all my shots in the Walthers, but there could be some unknown incompatibilities there too.

I can't say if the P365 in its current form is "ready for prime time", or not - some have strong opinions on that, but given my short sample size of one rental, I do not.
But, I definitely liked shooting it, and I am impressed with it's trigger, size, feel, and capacity. Definitely a gun to try, rent, or consider buying IMHO - but I do recommend trying it before buying, or just trying it out, period.. you'll have fun.

Bottom line, as much as I liked the Sig, it didn't make me want to replace any of my Walther's with it. But I can see Sig refining this design in a "Gen 2" version at some point.
That should be some gun...

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the Sig had just plain Sig night sights, then it was a Gen 1. After the first couple of months, Sig switched to Xray night sights which are far superior and much easier to see.

Sig is already technically on a Gen 4 now with the rolling changes they have been making (i.e. replacing barrels, strikers, trigger reset springs, extractors and extractor springs).

What I really liked about the Sig is that I can pocket carry it with the flush 10rd mag. Can barely do that with a PPS and flush 6rd mag.

I also liked the lack of over-travel with the Sigs trigger. The break literally feels like it is half way between fully extended and fully depressed.

I personally felt the PPQ (compact size, not SC) had too light of a trigger for EDC. The Sig pushes this same limit to the make but I found the break to be just a bit stiffer which gave me more comfort.

Nice comparison!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I'm giving the 365 another six months to a year before a second evaluation of reliability. If the bugs are squashed, then I'll get one.
As I posted before, I did a head to head with my PPS M1, and the P365, for me, was the clear winner.

I hope they can fix it's issues.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have a group of people I shoot with regularly that have them and nobody has a complaint. I have one of the earliest 365s, made in Feb. 18 and it's going strong, over 1k rounds now.

My dad bought a 365 dated June 30th and it went through its first hundred today just fine.

I like shooting 124 or 147 through mine, makes it a bit more tolerable. I still might get a CCP M2 just to have something that fits my hand better and has a safety.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts