Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shooting with a friend today. Another of his friends was there and brought a P38, which he let me shoot. I normally shoot a P99 (9mm). When he handed me the P38, I was surprised at how heavy it felt in comparison to the P99, but it still felt comfortable. My first 6 shots were from 10 yards, and it was a 1.5" group, which is about equal to my best shooting with the P99. My next 6 were from 7 yards, and that was a 1" group! (I had 12 rounds left, so I loaded 6 and 6 for no logical reason) I was amazed and happy that I could pick up a pistol I've never fired before and shoot so well with it. I definitely want to pick one up! I think the owner was a bit annoyed because I shot it better than him... sorry!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I made some of my best shootings with my post-war P38, better sometime than with my SIG P210.

I'm always surprised to hear bad reports on the accuracy of the design. Gun writers are unanimous on the poor performances of the P38. They might be right for some old warhorses, made at the very end of the conflict or beatten to death on every theater since WW2. Or they might be rebuted by the heavy DA pull compared to finely-tuned 1911 triggers.

One exception is a French gun writer, Jean-Louis Courtois, who is very fond of the P38. He wrote that in the 50's, as the French Army was equiped with a mix of pistols - P08, 1911, P38 (WW2) and MAC 50 - the Walther was the favorite of military competitors, due to the quality of the barrel, the sights and the nice SA. I strongly agree whith him.

Bye.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just bought a really clean like new commercial P.38 from a widow who's husband bought it new back in the 70's. She said she only saw him shoot it once, way back when he originally bought it. I believe her, the gun looks like it just came off the assembly line, got it for $450. Good thing I ran into her, I was just about ready to go on gunbroker and buy a P1. I can't wait to take it out to the range.

I have a p99 and love that gun like crazy. Most comfortable and accurate gun I have ever shot. I'm really curious to see how this P.38 compares, at least so far as accuracy is concerned.  

1 - 3 of 3 Posts