Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from the range. WOW!!! Had a great time!!!
I started out at the plinking range with the 617. Loaded up with CCI .22 Long CB ammo. Fired a whole damn box and didn't ring one gong!!!
I told the guy sitting next to me "to hell with this...I'm checling out a target stand and a bullseye target". Got the bullseye target set up and started CCI Mini Mags. A bit "snappier" than the .22 Long CB stuff. I fired a cylinder of six and pulled out the spotting scope. Good grief. A nice tight pattern of low and to the right. So out comes my Swiss Army knife and I start making adjustments to the sight. After about 24 rounds I have the group dead center of the bullseye. Ahhh...now to attack thee nasty metal gong critters. I start popping off at them and I know I am hitting them because I can see them twirling around. But no sound. Then it hits me...my earmuffs are killing the gong sound!! I hear people saying "someone is shooting the crap out of those plates" and they are talking about me!!!! :D
I have the Peltor Tactical 7S ear muffs which kill gun noise but allow speech. Well the gong sound is so close to the gunshot that the earmuffs are still shut down to noise. Anyway, I had to just watch the targets to verify hits. And I was able to get verified hits all the way out to 100 yards. Not bad for tired old fuzzy vision eyes.

The S&W operated without any malfunctions at all. It got pretty funky after a while and my fingers were black with lead and soot, but the revolver popped out rounds like crazy. I got the technique down of feeding two rounds into the cylinder at a time. Very quick reloading that way.
I have no doubt the gun is capable of MUCH more accuracy than I am able to achieve with iron sights. If I can install a pistol scope WITHOUT drilling holes in the gun, I may do so.

The Hogue grips felt okay for my hands. i still don't like finger grooves, but it's not really worth switching to Pachmayrs for something with as light as recoil as this. Oh yeah...recoil. NONE! The K-frame and lugged barrel kept everything lined up with the target for rapid second shots. I fired both single action (cocking the hammer by hand), and staged double action. The staging ability on this is excellent. I can pull the trigger do that the hammer rapidly goes back to just before the firing position and ghold it there indefinitely. VERY COOL :cool:

All in all I give this revolver two thumbs up. It's not cheap as some .22 revolvers are, but it is VERY accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I think, with the installation of a pistol scope, it shoud be possible for an old fart like me to have cloverleaf patterns in the target.

My next purchase? I'm looking real close at Marlin Model 1894 SS in .44 magnum.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A quick update...just got done cleaning the 617. YIKES!!! Funk was EVERYWHERE!!!! There was a large deposit of crud on the inside of the triggerguard. At first I nearly shit a brick as it looked like the trigger had rubbed against the inside of the triggerguard and screwed up the stainless. But a little rubbing with Hoppe's #9 and it came right off. Whew!!! The bore and cylinder chambers weren't too bad, but the outside of the clinder took a lot of rubbing with Hoppes to get the funk off. I shot some Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner inside all the cylinders and I'm gonna let it sit in there for a while to make sure I get all the crud off. The inside of the barrel came clean real easy. Just some Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner and a .22 cal bore brush.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Nice report on the Smith, Dep. Thanks for sharing. And the photo of the Marlin is sweet, indeed. Now we'll all have to run out and get us one of those, too.

Stop it -- knock it off. Cease. No more. :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Dep: That Marlin is a nice piece in any caliber, and it's just stunning wearing stainless steel. You'd have to believe that it would look great in the gun cabinet, above the mantle over the fireplace, in the bush (.44 mag makes a hell of a fine brush gun during deer season), or in steady hands on the shooting range.

And yeah, I suspect that ol' Max would love that rifle. Absolutely. How could you do otherwise? :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Dep,

Glad you got that 617 zeroed in!!! You will find by trying different ammo, you will eventually come across a round that really "hums" in your revolver.

As for scope sights and such. If you look under the top strap of your 617, you should find some holes, if you remove the rear sight you will find these holes will allow you to mount a scope base for either a telescopic or red dot sight!!

I sort of like the Hogue finger grooves for DA work, but for me they are not so good for SA. You might consider a nice pair of the wooden Hogue stocks without the finger grooves. They would really dress up that 617 too!

My favorite .22 round is the CCI Stinger. I have never found these to be very sooty, so you might try them. You might have to re-zero though as they move a bit faster than the regular CCI.

As for a .44 magnum carbine. They are nice, I have an old Browning '92 that is a real sweet gun and a great shooter. Watch out for that magnum ammo though, the .44 carbine kicks like a mule!!! I pretty much shoot the light reloads by Miwall in mine. I could shoot my .44 revolvers all day, but six shots out of that carbine with magnum ammo sends me home in a hurry!!! OUCH!!!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I fired some plated bulk 35 grain (I think) Federal hollowpoint today. Not sure how clean it is though. By then I had gone through 100 CCI Long CB and 100 of the Minimag. I've still got a ton of the Federal left, so next time I go out I will be firing it. I'll see how funky it gets. I suspect the CCI .22 Long was pretty cruddy.

Cripes! I get a killer recoil out of .44 mag handguns. I was hoping the Marlin would be LESS recoil. Or at least, more bearable in rifle form. I got a lot of "padding" (read that as fat or muscle, I prefer muscle) up in the shoulder area, so maybe it won't be bad. I figured the recoil would be similar to the SKS carbine .

Dep

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bummer

Went to order the Marlin rifle. EVERY distributor was out of stock :(
That freaking figures. I find a rifle that I REALLY want and I can't get it. Dang Cowboy Action Shooters gobbled them all up.

Anyway, I did find a cool .22 rifle that I ordered. I really like the Mannlicher stock type of rifle. So I ordered this .22 rifle made by CZ...

I may end up ordering a Puma Model 92 rifle in .44 mag at a future date. It's a clone of the Winchester 92 and they have it in octagon barrel and stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Dep,

Those .44 Mag carbines are "bad" recoilers and I would put them in the same range as a 30-30 in the 1894, nothing at all like the SKS. To enjoy shooting the .44 Mag carbine, best to shoot light reloads or factory. Remington used to make a "mid-range" lead bullet load for the .44 mag that was a dream to shoot.

By far the more fun carbines with factory ammo are the .45 Colt versions used by the SASS shooters. It is easier to get the milder load for these too.

Marlins are great guns, the Puma, looks good because it is based on a really nice Browning design, but they are ..... not worth your hard earned money. While the Puma has been improved, it is still not nearly the equal of the Marlin in fit, finish or quality. The Puma has a ridiculous and typically unecessary safety on top of the bolt. Marlin has the push through bolt safety which is more user friendly and even can be replaced by a non functional pin, that restores it to it's original design.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
153: Well you are REALLY limiting me for rifle choices:) . I don't mind recoil in rifles. I've shot some that kicked my butt and left huge bruises in my shoulders. Heck, the .44 mag pistol was the most brutal recoil I've had in pistol OR rifle. :eek:
Actually, if I could get a .44 mag in bolt action, I'd probably grab it. But the .44 mag seems to be mainly chambered for lever guns. I don't want .45 Colt or .357 mag because I don't want another caliber to buy ammo for. I want something that will take the same ammo as my S&W magnums. :)
Browning doesn't chamber any rifles for .44 mag. Winchester doesn't even make the Model 92 any more. Ruger makes a .44 magnum lever action but it looks funky and has an arched lever. Too bad Ruger doesn't chamber the M77 in .44 mag. I'd grab it in a heartbeart. Nothing from Remington.
The Marlin is nice, but it may take a LONG time before I can get one.

So I guess I am screwed for a while for getting a .44 mag rifle :(

Dep

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Dep: All right, you didn't bite at the suggestion of a Ruger Bearcat as a wonderful little .22 revolver to plink your hours away, but maybe you'll want to take a look at the Ruger Deerstalker .44 magnum carbine instead. It's a 5-shot gem that makes as good a brush gun as you'll find anywhere. Ruger apparently is only making the 10/22 model these days on what looks to be pretty much the same frame, but a quick check at places like Gunsamerica indicates that the .44 magnum version is still out there. I ran into one at a little gun shop east of my home base last month that was in dandy shape; they were asking less than $500 for it and likely would have taken an offer (though now, with deer season under way, you'd probably have to pay a little more).

I've had one for years. It's accurate, reliable, and well-built -- typical of the quality firearm that you'd expect from Ruger. I would recommend one to anyone who is in the market for a .44 magnum. :)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Searcher: If I could get a NEW Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine, aka Deerstalker, I would probably do it. But I don't like buying used guns. Only exception I make is used military guns. The Ruger .44 mag Carbine is VERY cool. Sorta like a super-duty M1 Carbine. But I can't bring myself to buy used. I am either going to wait out the Marlin lever gun, or buy a CZ with the Mannlicher stock in .30/06 like the .22 I have on order.

Dep

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Searcher: If I could get a NEW Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine, aka Deerstalker, I would probably do it. But I don't like buying used guns. Only exception I make is used military guns. The Ruger .44 mag Carbine is VERY cool. Sorta like a super-duty M1 Carbine. But I can't bring myself to buy used. I am either going to wait out the Marlin lever gun, or buy a CZ with the Mannlicher stock in .30/06 like the .22 I have on order.

Dep
I understand the thinking and generally would agree in principle if we were talking about, say, getting one via Gunsamerica or Gunbroker or Auction Arms. When buying a gun from those types of operations, you have no chance to inspect beyond a photo or two; and even if the buyer is be-wary, the buyer also is sometimes be-snickered. True, the no-shoot, three-day return policy that some sellers offer is better than nothing, I guess, but it also doesn't make up for the trouble, the shipping, the lost time, the hassle, the nonsense.

I was thinking more along the lines of finding one locally, or having your local gun dealer locate you one that you could kick the tires on a bit before shelling out the hard currency. The one I spotted three hours east of me was a dandy; if I didn't already own one, I would have bought it in a New York minute ... provided I could have taken it out to the range for a little hands-on testing (and the boys at that shop would give a thumbs-up to that condition). The Ruger is a wonderful carbine; if you poked around a bit and could land one, you would be a happy camper for sure. :)

Sure can't fault your thinking on the .22 CZed. That's a fine piece of hardware.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Searcher: I am really hurting as far as gun dealers in my area. I have ONE in town, and he's very small, and anything I buy from him has to be ordered. The joys of living in a small town in the middle of nowhere :D

Here's the CZ big bore .30/06 I am looking at. I have a lot of .30/06 ammo because of the M1 Garands I collect....

Remington makes one like it (the Model Seven) but it's over $2,000. The CZ is $768 list price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts