Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a nice Sunday morning trip to the range. Went to OK Corral in Okeechobee FL because I felt like shooting outdoors.

Put 500 rounds through my 4” PPQ and have to report how boring it was. At 15 yard it shot very predictable 3-4 inch groups at a good pace. Slowed the pace down and got nice 2-3 inch groups. Unfortunately I can’t report any failures, but that’s typical. 🙂

·
Registered
491 Posts
Same here (with the M1 version). I got bored and started trying double taps with the PPQ45.

Fun!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Put 500 rounds through my 4” PPQ and have to report how boring it was. ;
Yes, but boring in a good way! You'll get spoiled shooting the PPQ!

Congrats on the good shooting. Now go do that one handed as well! When that is easy do it weak handed!

See. Boredom solved. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on the good shooting. Now go do that one handed as well! When that is easy do it weak handed!

See. Boredom solved. :)
Then try it at better distances. 25 and 50 yd on NRA bullseye targets.
Do slow, timed, and rapid fire.

After shooting one-handed virtually exclusively, shooting two-handed is a handicap for me.

But before I handicap myself I need to figure out why I'm consistently shooting low. Would love to see group sizes of a few inches with my ppq. I'd be thrilled if I could match the 4" groups I can shoot with my competition .22lr, one-handed @25yds.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
You mean one handed rapid fire like this with a draw stroke from a Wright Regulator holster?

Reactions: p99cc

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Slightly different set of exercises but yes that was an off day...

They happen. Even to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You mean one handed rapid fire like this with a draw stroke from a Wright Regulator holster?

Looks like some fine shooting. What distance?

To me timed and rapid means a scaled 20yd ISSF rapid fire target, 5 shots, one-handed, start at 45deg down, up and fire on buzzer. 20 seconds for timed fire, 10 seconds for rapid fire. Repeat for 10 shots on target.

Or, sport pistol (Duelo) rules. Start at 45deg, 5 shots, hold at 45 until buzzer, 3 seconds to lift and fire one shot. Return to 45deg wait 7 seconds, repeat.

(ISSF rules on ISSF targets or NRA rules on NRA targets amount to the same thing)

Only time I've actually done this thoroughly with a centerfire pistol was once in competition with a .32S&W long Hammerli. Haven't got serious enough in training with the PPQ or my Rhino yet.

Would love to be able to have the focus and concentration for ISSF Rapid Fire competition. 25m, 5 targets, start at 45deg, 8, 6, or 4 seconds to shoot one shot on each of the 5 targets.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Looks like some fine shooting. What distance?

To me timed and rapid means a scaled 20yd ISSF rapid fire target, 5 shots, one-handed, start at 45deg down, up and fire on buzzer. 20 seconds for timed fire, 10 seconds for rapid fire. Repeat for 10 shots on target.

Or, sport pistol (Duelo) rules. Start at 45deg, 5 shots, hold at 45 until buzzer, 3 seconds to lift and fire one shot. Return to 45deg wait 7 seconds, repeat.

(ISSF rules on ISSF targets or NRA rules on NRA targets amount to the same thing)

Only time I've actually done this thoroughly with a centerfire pistol was once in competition with a .32S&W long Hammerli. Haven't got serious enough in training with the PPQ or my Rhino yet.

Would love to be able to have the focus and concentration for ISSF Rapid Fire competition. 25m, 5 targets, start at 45deg, 8, 6, or 4 seconds to shoot one shot on each of the 5 targets.
I have complete respect for the type of shooting you describe but I think olsoul was after a more "keep my asp alive" speed and accuracy standard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you fellows use the PPQ as a range/IDPA gun and also a CCW?

Though retired, I'm still on a slow learning curve with hand guns.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don’t do a lot of IDPA, but I have shot some matches with my 4” PPQ. Since then, I got a 5” M1 model that I am now using for that. And yes, the 4” model is used for carry too, along with a P99c :cool:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have complete respect for the type of shooting you describe but I think olsoul was after a more "keep my asp alive" speed and accuracy standard.
I respect the skill for that kind of shooting as well.

My recoil control is crap and double-tapping or any type of shooting for IPSC/IDPA is out of the question for me. And I have a lot of issues with fundamentals moving from .22 precision pistol to centerfire to address.

Just asked the distance because knowing the constraints under which a target is shot is the most important thing IMO. 10's look like tens no matter what, but knowing how they were shot does let you know how far you are from doing the same. And my latest outing to the range my 22lr rife targets looked quite scattershot. But I'm proud of them nonetheless as they were shot standing and I never usually shoot standing and it has been months since I shot rifle. And I'm keeping a target from that session with 10 12g slug shots that couldn't really have much of a group defined. But it was only my fourth or fifth time in my life shooting shotgun and first time ever with slugs. So I'm damned proud that after a box of them I could put 10 on target at 25yds.

Back to the PPQ and PPQ range reports, shooting it is still fun and I've got a while to go till I'm frustrated, but my fundamentals are really wrong. Rear sight is adjusted all the way up and at 20yds all but fliers are below horizontal centerline and left of vertical. And not all shots are even hitting target.

Going to have to figure out how to obtain/use sandbags or a support to see WTF I'm doing and how the sights are adjusted now.

I find it funny though how much attention I often get simply shooting the PPQ one-handed. Shooting the Chiappa with 357mag one-handed really draws comments. No matter how crappy I think my results are.

BTW, I'm shooting the Chiappa low and left as well. So something in my fundamentals is definitely off. Think I have a bit of an issue adapting to the different grips compared to my FAS with Olympic one-hand grip and the wrist position it has. But, I can pick up my S&W Victory 22 and shoot in the black quite reliably. And the grip on that I always found too small. So maybe not.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts

As you know olsoul has posted numerous outing results and he has to be one of the most consistent and highly accurate shooters I have seen. He has described his procedures and you are correct in your comment above.....as a law enforcement officer his primary objective is to remove the bad guy as quickly as possible. His distances are written on the targets and in this case he is shooting from 15-35 feet and 15-55 feet. I still have no idea how he does it.....yes it's certainly a lot of practice but the consistency is amazing! I can shoot singles and double taps fairly well at 10-15 yards but I am not consistent. Olsoul shoots everything in the book including full magazine unloads.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
Back to the PPQ and PPQ range reports, shooting it is still fun and I've got a while to go till I'm frustrated, but my fundamentals are really wrong. Rear sight is adjusted all the way up and at 20yds all but fliers are below horizontal centerline and left of vertical. And not all shots are even hitting target.

Just curious....have you changed the sights on your PPQ to allow height adjustments with the rear sight?

I'm sure you are aware of the tendency to rotate the pistol down and left for right handed shooters.....opposite for left. Your description of the POI's sounds like an issue I had with my PPQ 45. Actually had it identified by one of the range managers after I asked her to watch me shoot. Turns out I was squeezing the grip tighter with the three fingers as I pulled the trigger and that created the rotation causing the POI to move left. That rotational pressure caused my index finger to pull down at the same time which naturally dropped vertical placement down as well.

Of course, you may have already check for that possibility and it's something entirely unrelated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts