Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at long last I found some time to get out to the range to fire my 9mm P99 for the first time yesterday.

Since the last pistol I shot on a regular basis was a Browning HP in the late 80's, needless to say the first 3 mags were not great exhibitions of marksmanship (at 10 yds.). The rounds were generally in the area of the targets (emphasis on "generally"), but I was pushing most shots left and/or low.
By the 4th or 5th mag I was getting much more comfortable and groupings got smaller.

On my last mag (I fired 150 rounds), I did a rapid shoot of 10 rounds and they were all in the 6" target.

My only problem seemed to be with double taps. Probably because the P99 is so light, I found the recoil pop-up difficult to get used to. My second tap was never anywhere near the target. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears (I use a 2-handed grip with my weak arm locked, as taught by Matt Burkett).
I have a Beretta Brig coming in this week and with the extra weight I might feel more comfortable with the double tap.

As for the P99 itself, it was a pleasure to shoot. Action was very smooth and trigger pull was nice. On SA, I found myself instinctively pulling up the initial slack about a second before firing. Not sure if that's the best way or not, but it seems to be natural for me.

On the DA, that's definitely going to take some getting used to. I fired about 5 rounds in DA and they were all over the map. I'm going to practice all DA later this afternoon.
Anyway, glad to be officially part of the group now and looking forward to any feedback.

Cheers,
Jammer

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi,
Congrats on your P99 purchase.
I've had a P99 9mm since last summer, and I did have to work at it to hit what/where I wanted to.
I also have a BHP 9mm, and tend to shoot that better when at 50 ft and greater distances. The muzzle flip of the P99 is something you need to handle with more practice. Sorry, I have no tricks for that, but I did find that using Ranger Bands on the medium grip works well to keep the P99 from shifting in my hand with quick follow up shots. Ranger Bands are very thin, so don't add much to the grip. I did try the Butler Creek slip on grips but those were a bit bulky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've been out 2 more times with the P99 and the improvements have been dramatic. I now have it under 3" for 10 shots at 10 yds (not consistently yet, but every 3rd or 4th mag). It's a very accurate gun. I tried 2 targets at 25 yds. and that humbled me. More practice needed.
I also fired my new Beretta Brig and the recoil was hugely dampened by the heavier pistol. Double taps were generally good. The trigger action was also very smooth, right out of the box.
It's also easier to draw the Walther. Each gun has its own features that I really like, and I enjoy shooting both.
Cheers,
Jammer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts