Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shot my PPK yesterday. Warmed up with 25 rounds of Hornady which were flawless. Also shot 50 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ which had one failure to feed. Realized after the range that both mags had a significant build-up of dried up grease but they are both clean now. I was surprised that the 380 recoil in the PPK was not as bad as a I remember, but still significantly more than a Glock 42 or a .32 PPK. No slide or hammer bite, but my firing hand thumb is sore today. I'll continue my old TTP of practicing mostly with my .32 PPK followed by a 1-2 mags from my .380 PPK. Next trip to the range I'll try some PPU FMJ in the 380 PPK.

Does anyone know what brand/type of ammo the folks at Ulm used to test fire PPK pistols (using the test fire target?)

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

Does anyone know what brand/type of ammo the folks at Ulm used to test fire PPK pistols (using the test fire target?)
Just a guess, GECO FMJ.

But it doesn't matter because whatever it was 40 years ago is not duplicated today. New generations of propellants, different shapes of bullets, etc. etc.

M

P.S. While the brand may still exist, the old company does not.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I can't say anything about GECO's current .380 loading, but their .32 has been perfect in my pre war PP. This and the S&B are the best I've shot so far out of my PP.

Fiocchi, PMC, Winchester White Box, and Remington, are all pretty much wastes of money, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I can't say anything about GECO's current .380 loading, but their .32 has been perfect in my pre war PP. This and the S&B are the best I've shot so far out of my PP.

Fiocchi, PMC, Winchester White Box, and Remington, are all pretty much wastes of money, in my experience.
Cycling in the PP is more leisurely in .32 than in .380, especially considering that the mass of the slide is almost exactly the same. The slide velocity is slower and there's more time for everything else that's spring-loaded to move as it should. All else equal, that translates to greater reliability (except for the .32's semi-rimmed cartridge case design--the one functional advantage of .380).

M

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Thanks for the illumination on the differences sir. It's been a long time since I owned a .380 (Interarms PPK/s) and I don't remember what ammo I ran through it then, but I don't recall any functional issues with the thing.

Sold it to get a S&W Model 66. That's long gone as well...

Time is a harsh mistress.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I think that's a bit harsh. I've shot several calibers from all of those brands and the only one that gave me any trouble was the Fiocchi 7,65 mm Para.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts