Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my local indoor range this afternoon to test a couple of boxes of 102gr Golden Sabre in my Interarms PPK/S (this is a "resolution" to my thread https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/122794-recommended-gunsmith-action-job-ppk.html). I was practicing drawing while cocking the hammer so that I don't have to depend on a DA pull.

I am looking for a good hollow point for carry that cycles reliably in the PPK/S, and mine chewed straight through 60 rounds of the Golden Sabre flawlessly...so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I would have shot the remaining rounds, but the web of my right hand got blistered and a little bloody - not from slide bite, but just from friction of the tang. The PPK/S is surely quite snappy, especially with those rounds.

In other good news, I was very pleasantly surprised at how accurate my Interarms PPK/S is. I was also shooting my USP compact, which was all over the place compared to the Walther. Thus, I feel pretty confident in it both in terms of the defensive ammo and its accuracy. I also found a very nice leather shoulder holster made in Lithuania that fits exceptionally well, so I think I might actually attempt to carry this rig the next time I'm wearing a sportcoat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question. It is MUCH more difficult than I expected. The initial pull has a lot of resistance, and then it gives. I'm going to have to practice a lot more to develop muscle memory.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
The pounding of the .380 iteration is one of the main downsides to the package.
Happy to hear that it ran reliably on the Golden Sabers.
Moon

Reactions: Gilly19

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great question. It is MUCH more difficult than I expected. The initial pull has a lot of resistance, and then it gives. I'm going to have to practice a lot more to develop muscle memory.

Re-reading that, it seems that it's similar to the DA takeup of the full DA trigger pull, but in the case of cocking the hammer, it's certainly less "decisive" than a DA trigger pull. Thus, I think I prefer this style of preparation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Range report

Gilly,

If I remember your previous post you picked up a couple of boxes RGS 102 ammo. You're on your way to confirming it will function you PPK/S. It will beat the heck out of you in long range sessions. Get some FMJ 95 grain for practice. It is a little gentler on you, and your wallet. I like Winchester White Box get a couple of boxes to make sure of function and then watch for sales on larger quantities.

Do yourself a favour and spread out your range sessions. I usually take out a .22 to start out. Then move up to larger caliber handguns to complete my sessions. I'll steal a line from Halfmoon Clip, get a leather, fingerless, glove to help with the recoil. Think bicycle gloves. Remember that you will not be firing 50 round if you are required to use it for social reasons.

Duncan

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
There's nothing like a gun that hurts you to install a flinch. Listen to the advice here; shorter sessions, bike glove.

A range run is to be fun as well as skill-building. Don't turn it into a test of manhood.
There is another issue. My long-ago .380 would never run 100 straight on any of my handloads. Mike pointed out that I just might not have been holding the gun firmly after 80-odd rounds, introducing malfs as a result.

Moon

·
Registered
275 Posts
I never shoot a lot of ammo with my .380 pistols. I get a little thumb web "awareness" after 20 rounds or less, so I quit. (Maybe less.) Don't need to shoot more after checking my sight picture and all those things one does to check himself. Besides, ammo is too expensive for me to send it down range without a pretty good cause.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re-reading that, it seems that it's similar to the DA takeup of the full DA trigger pull, but in the case of cocking the hammer, it's certainly less "decisive" than a DA trigger pull. Thus, I think I prefer this style of preparation.
Thumb-cocking might be a good idea if you are drawing with the thought that you MIGHT need to fire in the near future. However I would urge you to also practice traditional drawing and firing DA. Because if the need is truly immediate, pulling the trigger (as nature and Walther intended) is much safer and more reliable than fumbling with the hammer.

My personal accuracy with DA is abysmal relative to SA, but it’s something I’m working on. The only way to get good at it, I presume, is to simply do it a lot. Stock up on cheap range ammo to perfect your technique and save the expensive stuff for only occasional practice.

That’s my plan anyway.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
A review of this thread indicates that there is a lot to overcome to make this pistol useable as a carry gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is GREAT input, commentary, and advice from y'all gentlemen....thanks very much. I appreciate the advice about the bike gloves and about not overdoing it with practice in a single session. 153's comment about "there is a lot to overcome to make this pistol useable as a carry gun", while obvious, is also quite insightful. In a sense, I'm trying to "force" my PPK/S into being a carry gun just because I like the idea. But I do have several different carry guns, with the primary being a Milford Seecamp 32 because it's so concealable. Others are Glock 42 and Glock 19. I practice consistently with all of them, and I'm now trying to bring the Walther in the mix.

Thanks again for everyone's insightful comments.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My personal record was 150 rounds of 380 through my Ulm PPK in one session. The top of my hand was a bit chewed up from slide bite but the recoil doesn’t bother me one bit.

Wearing a glove is probably smart advice but nobody ever accused me of being smart so I’ve never done it. :)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I am feeling compelled to make two comments about the PPS/s and Golden Saber ammo.

First, I think you would do better to develop the skill od drawing and making the DA trigger pull rather than cocking the hammer. In a crisis if you fail to cock the hammer properly on the draw you face being late in firing. From my RM380 experience I found that mastering the DA trigger was relatively easy.

Second, Take a look at the video of a 380 Golden Saber test. Out of a 3" barrel it failed at penetration. Now I know that the PPS has a linger barrel by .9 inch. But I question whether that extra length will make a big difference in performance.

I watched the entire Ammoquest 380 test series before selecting a round for my RM380. It was enlightening. I adopted the clear winner of that test, the Lehigh Extreme Defense monoliths fluid transfer bullet that outperfomed all the HPs tested.

I do not carry the 380 anymore. I carry a PPS M2 loaded with Underwood Extreme Defender which is the Lehigh bullet with a hotter load. Please understand that my intention id to offer information I have not to make thread drift or ammo controversy.

Video at:https://youtu.be/wxpKhBwD8_s

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Gilly, you have answered your own question. Carry the G42 if you really want a .380, and practice with it by the hour. Doesn't hurt, and it will tolerate a whole lot of shooting. And no DA/SA issues. Lighter too.

I really love Walthers, but just not for anything serious.
Moon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks again, gentlemen. I have the ARX fluted polymer rounds in my G42, and I've wondered how well they - or the Lehigh/Underwood - would function in a PPK/S. It will be an expensive experiment, but I might just do that test and see how they function, as I too have been a little concerned about penetration of the 380 HPs.

Moon, you are 100% correct and when I feel like I'm in an area where there's a true potential threat, I always carry my Glock. I'm thinking of the PPK/S for times when I'm pretty confident that the risk is extremely low and I just want to exercise my right anyway, especially when I can do it with a very comfortable shoulder rig.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Range report

I agree with 1942Bull. Mastering the DA pull is the best option. From one of Gilly's previous threads he was using an unorthodox thumb assist shooting technique to tame the DA trigger. He was looking for other techniques on his pistol. He stated that he had been using striker fired weapons which are much easier than DA/SA pistols. My personal feelings are if he works through the DA pull problem his pistol will probably smooth out after more use. I like the long DA pull because it can be stopped much easier if the situation indicates deadly force is no longer necessary. If not the continued force drops the hammer,slide racks and SHTF.

As to the RGS, yes the penetration is not the best but it functions 100% in my PPK/S. Once the SHTF situation happens I feel it will do everything most other boutique ammo does.

The .380 acp is right at the lower end of self-defense rounds. Many compact 9's are out there. Make your choice and pray it's never needed.

Duncan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tonight I cleaned my PPK/S and oiled it well. I know dry firing is not the best practice, but in a few tries, I was surprised at how smooth the DA was when well oiled and NOT under stress. Just two more cents worth... I think I'll take everyone's advice and practice a full DA pull from now on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts