Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally!!! A Friday that didn't rain!!!! :D

Just got back from the range a few minutes ago. Had a GREAT time!!! I had some strange shit happen to me yesterday at my neighborhood watch group, so I needed to get my brain calmed down. Range time always puts a SEG on my face. And this time it really worked great. 3 guns were packed...a S&W Model 629 4 inch barrel, a Walther P99AS, and a S&W 457S. I hadn't fired this .44 mag yet, so it was pretty much an unknown. The P-99 I had along on my last range day and it functioned perfectly with Federal FMJ ammo. The S&W 457S was a real unknown quantity. Last time I fired it it shot FMJ with no problem, but Federal SWC jacketed ammo had all kinds of jamming problems.

All three guns were tested with hollowpoint ammo today. First the .44 magnum. WOW!!! For all those guys that piss and moan about hammer bite with the little Walthers...I DON"T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!! :eek:
You ain't experienced nothin' 'till you've touched off a full power .44 mag in a 4 inch barrel. The ammo was Remington 240gr Hollowpoint. This is normally clocked at 1180 fps out of a 4 inch barrel. That may sound like it's loafing, but with a slug that heavy in a magnum, recoil is...well...considerable. And at 100 yards it's still zipping along at 1010 fps. After firing 9MM, .45ACP, and .32ACP, I had forgotten just how much recoil the .44 mag really produced. I was immediatley grateful that I only had 25 rounds to fire. After a while I was actually "counting down" the remaining rounds so that the punishment would end. I had a huge welt on the inside of my hand from the recoil. And the muzzle flip was WAY MORE than any other gun I have fired. I can certainly see why a 6 inch or longer barrel is the optimum choice. I can't even imagine what my 3 inch Model 629ES hand cannon will be like. :eek:

After that torture was out of the way, it was time for the P99. I loaded up a full mag using the new Uplula mag loader that Uncut had recommended. WOW! Full mag loaded in SECONDS!!! What a great gizmo!!! Worth every damn penny I paid for it. First ammo for the P99 was Golden Saber 124 grain non-+P. I don't use +P in ANY of my guns. For the minimal benefit gained from it, the increased wear just isn't worth it. I fired up a whole box of Golden Saber without a glitch. That was great. I like Golden Saber a lot and it's nice to know the P99 likes it too. Next for the P99 was the "notorious" Extreme Shock FangFace 124 grain anti-terrorist ammo. I had some misgivings about this stuff, as the jagged edge of the hollowpoint looked like a problem just waiting to happen. But it fed in the P99 smoothly and there were no problems at all. Is it better than Golden Saber or any other hollowpoint??? I dunno. There weren't any terrorists running around downrange, so I couldn't test it's killing power. I don't think I would want to be hit by it though.

Finally I pulled out my S&W 457S and a box of non-+P Golden Saber 230 grain ammo. I REALLY wanted this little gun to work. It's compact and light and with a 7-shot 45ACP mag, it's a good little blaster. I locked in a mag and popped off 7 rounds of GS. NO jams. Worked great. It ate up a box of Golden Saber and was hungry for more.

So I am a happy camper and had a great time with my guns. Always nice when things function like they should. Now comes more testing. I have CLP Break Free and will use that to clean one gun. I also have G96 Gun Treatment which is another type of CLP product. That gets tested on another gun. And finally, I have the new Hoppe's Elite cleaner. So I will test that stuff out too. I'll report back here on how well all this stuff works.

Still waiting for grips for my PPK. Want to get out and test it with HP too.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks for the interesting report, Dep. Sounds like a pleasant time was had by all -- or by you alone, in this case.

Because you put two different types of ammo through the P99, it may be hard (if not imposible) to tell, but I'd be interested to hear whether the Extreme Shock left any noticable residue behind. It's great to know that it worked as advertised, at least. How many rounds did you shoot -- 20 or more?

As for the .44 magnum, that's quite a colorful description you provided. That shell will boot you around some when you fire it through a Ruger Deerstalker carbine. Dropping the hammer on it through a 4-inch barrel must be otherworldly. I'm surprised that you had enough left of your hand to test-fire the other two guns. (If there's a next time, save it for last, maybe.)

Dare we ask what happend at the neighborhood watch meeting? Inquiring minds ...

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the interesting report, Dep. Sounds like a pleasant time was had by all -- or by you alone, in this case.

Because you put two different types of ammo through the P99, it may be hard (if not imposible) to tell, but I'd be interested to hear whether the Extreme Shock left any noticable residue behind. It's great to know that it worked as advertised, at least. How many rounds did you shoot -- 20 or more?
Uh.....How does anyone know that the Extreme Shock worked like it was supposed to? Did it blow up the paper targets?:)

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Dep did report that it properly cycled through the gun. Considering the fact that we read lots and lots of accounts on this forum (and elsewhere) about ammo that does not properly cycle through the gun, it's logical to maintain that the Extreme Shock worked as advertised, I guess.

As to whether it made any larger-than-normal holes in a paper plate? Only the paper plate can say, and Dep says it ain't talkin'. :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The .44 Mag is a brute, more so in a carbine than a pistol ....all my revolvers have 6 1/2" + barrels, so they aren't quite so bad.

On my last range outing I shot an old 4" S&W 66 and was amazed how my groups shrank with the revolver from the semi autos! Dispite the ugly recoil, Dep - how was the accuracy with your .44?

Your countdown with the .44 sounds like the last time I shot a full box through the PP .380!!! :D

Great Report!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Neighborhood Watch?

Hey Dep! Please explain "wot" happened in your neighborhood!

I thought Silver City was a pretty safe place! But, I haven't been there is
six or eight months, more or less. I guess it could have changed!

Do you shoot at the Grant County range on highway 180, between S.C. and
Santa Clara? I've been there a time or two! Not a bad shooting range!

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

As for the .44 magnum, that's quite a colorful description you provided. That shell will boot you around some when you fire it through a Ruger Deerstalker carbine. Dropping the hammer on it through a 4-inch barrel must be otherworldly. I'm surprised that you had enough left of your hand to test-fire the other two guns. (If there's a next time, save it for last, maybe.)

Dare we ask what happend at the neighborhood watch meeting? Inquiring minds ...
Well first the feedback on the cleaning of the 3 guns. First I used G-96 CLP on the Model 629. Whata bad joke :( It didn't clean for shit. Smelled real nice though. Could use it as a mouthwash or cologne. Although I prefer Hoppe's 39 for my cologne. I don't know what G-96 would be like as a lubricant. Okay I guess. Next I cleaned the S&W 457S. This is a stainless slide/aluminum frame. The only ammo fired through it was the .45ACP Golden Saber. It was hardly dirty at all. Geez I love that ammo!!!! Anyway, I used the Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner on it. Holy Moley!!!!! That stuff is AWESOME!!!!!
Belive it or not it cleans BETTER THAN Hoppe's #9!!!!! It cut through the little powder residue that was there like crazy. They weren't BSing when they said it cut cleaning time by 80%. I was done in no time. Then I looked at my poor 629 sitting covered in G-96 waiting for it to do SOMETHING. I wiped off the G-96 and went to work with the Hoppe's ELite on the 629. Freaking amazing!!!! It actually cleaned most all of the black powder rings on the face of the cylinder. And that is some tough stuff to get off. It didn't get all of it off. But it would have if I kept at it. I never got to the CLP Break Free because I was so happy with the Hoppe's Elite. I used it to clean the P-99 too. BTW...in answer to Searcher 451's question...between the Golden Sabre and the Extreme Shock, there was almost NO left over residue. And I fired the Golden Sabre first. So if the Extreme Shock was funky, it would have been evident. I fired 25 rounds of GS and 25 rounds of Extreme Shock.
I haven't lubed any of the guns yet. I'll do that tomorrow. Not sure just yet what to use for lube. Maybe the Break Free. I will definitely put a touch of grease in the slide rails of the autos though. Once you have a method that works, it's best to stick with it ;)

I will definitely save the magnum firing for last. It was fun and the whole firing line paused to look at me. LOL...kinda neat. There was a metal canopy over the firing area I was at and it tended to to magnify each blast. Even with a strong 2-hand grip, the dang thing jumped up like crazy.

Ogie: I was worried the Extreme Shock would have a problem feeding. The edge of the hollowpoint looks like a tree saw. Now if you doubt that this cartridge is deadly, I plan on buying another couple of boxes of it. If you want to volunteer, as a guinea pig, to test it's effectiveness on humans, perhaps I can convince the rangemaster to let you carry a fake AK-47 and run around yelling Ollie Akbar downrange while I test out the anti-terrorist ammo. :D

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dep! Please explain "wot" happened in your neighborhood!

I thought Silver City was a pretty safe place! But, I haven't been there is
six or eight months, more or less. I guess it could have changed!

Do you shoot at the Grant County range on highway 180, between S.C. and
Santa Clara? I've been there a time or two! Not a bad shooting range!
YEP!!! $2 for as long as you want. Can't beat it!! How far are you from SC now??? Maybe we can set up a range meet. They are only open Friday-Sunday. Closed the rest of the week.

Accuracy with all 3 guns...can't really say. The target was a 10 inch gong suspended from two chains at about 100 feet. With my old eyes I could barely get any kind of sight picture at that range. I did hit it once with the .44 mag and it went wild swinging and bouncing. They wouldn't let me shoot at the closer gong targets because it was actually a .22 caliber range area.
I would have destroyed them with the .44 mag :eek:

When I tested the P99 with FMJ accuracy was excellent. Ditto for the PPK with FMJ. But that was at much closer distances.

Dep

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still waiting for grips for my PPK. Want to get out and test it with HP too.
Dep

Bah, I read all of that hoping to see those ebony grips at the end :p Sounds like a good day, save all the .44 mag. I don't care much for shooting anything that makes we wish I was at the end of the ammo already.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bah, I read all of that hoping to see those ebony grips at the end :p Sounds like a good day, save all the .44 mag. I don't care much for shooting anything that makes we wish I was at the end of the ammo already.
Pana: Believe me...I want those grips worse than ANYONE. At this point I'll take the new set of crappy replacement plastic grips S&W is supposedly sending me.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last thing on the cleaning stuff. The front carbon rings on the .44 mag cylinder face. These can be a real pisser to remove. Some guys see them and think they are SUPPOSED to be there. They aren't. Something I've found that works great on removing those rings and any other carbon stains is a product called Miracle Cloth.

http://www.miraclecloth.com/

There are versions of this made by Hoppe's and other companies. It is cloth impregnated with some kind of chemical. All you need is a LIGHT rubbing on what you want to remove and POOF...it's gone. :D
I don't think this should be used on blued steel stuff though. May remove the bluing.

Dep

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Nice report there deputy....
I moved it since it was not PP or PPK related...... :cool:

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts