Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
.....DÜA,

I am afraid that my gun range will eventually be closed to COVID-19! ......

Well, the offer stands. Send me a PM if you ever want to check them out (after the Kung Flu closures run their course).

No shortage of nice ranges around the D/FW area. A new Shoot Point Blank just opened on 35 (3 minutes from my house, next visit I'm purchasing an unlimited membership, free transfers, no range limitations, free guests), and the Frisco Gun Club is a place EVERY D/FW shooter should see at least once.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, the offer stands. Send me a PM if you ever want to check them out (after the Kung Flu closures run their course).

No shortage of nice ranges around the D/FW area. A new Shoot Point Blank just opened on 35 (3 minutes from my house, next visit I'm purchasing an unlimited membership, free transfers, no range limitations, free guests), and the Frisco Gun Club is a place EVERY D/FW shooter should see at least once.
I will keep that definitely in mind but have to admit, that I try to avoid the Dallas metro area as much as I can. Had it not been for the proximity to my son, I would be further East and am still contemplating moving to Gunbarrel City.

My range trip wasn't too bad. I shot only the Nowlin, 10 rounds at 25 yards and I am getting used to it. The sights are not regulated for UIT targets, so the aiming area is a little hard to establish. I will work on accuracy until I am at a mid-nine ring average and hope to get there again. At seven yards this gun shines at double taps.

The quality of this American-made pistol is at least equal to the Neuhausen SIG P210-6, if not a little better and I can buy mags for 20 bucks each, saving over $100 per mag:D.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I could have saved a lot of money and searching, had I bought one decades ago:). I sighted this HW9 in at 25 yards, off-hand in single action with Armscor High velocity 36gr ammo that I actually had bought to try it in my .22 l.r. Colt Conversion unit, since it's copper plated.

I decided to shoot 6 @ 25y, offhand in double action. I can't top that with any of my Korths, nor the S&W K-22 and won't do half that well with the 1961 Colt OMM in D/A.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I will keep that definitely in mind but have to admit, that I try to avoid the Dallas metro area as much as I can. Had it not been for the proximity to my son, I would be further East and am still contemplating moving to Gunbarrel City.

My range trip wasn't too bad. I shot only the Nowlin, 10 rounds at 25 yards and I am getting used to it. The sights are not regulated for UIT targets, so the aiming area is a little hard to establish. I will work on accuracy until I am at a mid-nine ring average and hope to get there again. At seven yards this gun shines at double taps.

The quality of this American-made pistol is at least equal to the Neuhausen SIG P210-6, if not a little better and I can buy mags for 20 bucks each, saving over $100 per mag:D.

If I remember correctly, the Swiss made SIG P210's came with a 50 meter target, so if you get those kinds of groups at 50 yards, it might outshoot a SIG. My SIG P210 still out shoots most of my nice 1911's.....not all...but I paid a price for the ones that are equal to or greater than, the SIG.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If I remember correctly, the Swiss made SIG P210's came with a 50 meter target, so if you get those kinds of groups at 50 yards, it might outshoot a SIG. My SIG P210 still out shoots most of my nice 1911's.....not all...but I paid a price for the ones that are equal to or greater than, the SIG.
I wasn't talking about mechanical accuracy but myt own off-hand accuracy with a variety of ammo. For one thing, I noticed that the P210s are not shooting really well with Geco ammo and had some friends confirm that.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dallas County is on shelter-at-home order but here in the neighboring county, we aren't yet. I had gone to my range, which normally opens at 10 a.m. just to find the doors locked and a sign that thy are now opening at 12 o'clock. Considering the high quality air filtration of commercial gun ranges, which is not much different from what is found in hospital surgery rooms, I am planning a quickie and feel safer than at Walmart. In and out in half an hour, or less.

How can this be not considered essential in Texas? In Florida gunstores are considered essential and can stay open and that (once very ) fine state is now overrun by liberal New Yorkers:).

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Andyd', my K-22 had that overtravel stop, but I haven't seen one since. If mine was adjusted, it was done in Springfield, with a fine file.

Thus far, our very down-home ranges remain unaffected, but they are self-entry; no face to face.
For feeding those .38s, we've been running 'full charge' wadcutters; Berry's plated 148s, loaded to the old RNL level. Fun to shoot, but not like kissing your sister.
Do the Swiss and New Hampshire P210 mags interchange? Got an extra MecGar for a reasonable number from CDNN.

Moon

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Andyd', my K-22 had that overtravel stop, but I haven't seen one since. If mine was adjusted, it was done in Springfield, with a fine file.

Thus far, our very down-home ranges remain unaffected, but they are self-entry; no face to face.
For feeding those .38s, we've been running 'full charge' wadcutters; Berry's plated 148s, loaded to the old RNL level. Fun to shoot, but not like kissing your sister.
Do the Swiss and New Hampshire P210 mags interchange? Got an extra MecGar for a reasonable number from CDNN.

Moon
The trigger overtravel stop on the K frames was optional and is adjsutable. The sideplate needs to be removed for that, though.

I am not sure about the P210 magazines but have enough Swiss mags to last me for a lifetime.

I shot the MR73 and had a hard time sighting it in. My last 25 yards group was good. I blame the stringing on the black background and the fact that the plates aren't big enough to give a good sight picture.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Andy, was the MR73 shot DA or SA?
Single action. At 25 yards I need all the help I can get. I had my peak performance in shooting sports from age 35 to 55 and am in a slow decline, both in accuracy and speed. To shoot that gun well in D/A I would need more practice with it and figure out where exactly to put my trigger finger.

In my experience, the finger positioning for accurate D/A shooting is different from S/A and even more crucial. The travel distance is longer and it needs "more" finger but how much is very different with different manufacturers.
I shot the S&W 18 in D/A and had all nicely in the center of the plate at 25 but then, I shoot S&W revolvers for decades and would feel as comfortable going into a match ( in senior class :) ) with a S&W as I would with a Korth or MR73.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My shooting buddy had to do chores yesterday, so I travelled for the first time in two weeks to my outdoor range. Only one guy there on the 25 yard range, so I went to the 50 yard. Started off with a recently purchased S&W 686 6" .357. After a few shots, realized that I forgot my tool bag, and had to move the sight right and down. Then I pulled out the Colt Super .38 Government I was carrying, and shot it at 50 also. I actually sot the Super a tad better than the S&W. Last out was my M1 Garand, which was still fouled from the last sight in session. All in all, 36 through the Smith, 50 through the Super, and 48 through the Garand. By the end, another shooter had showed up and we talked for about a half hour in between our shooting. The first fellow apparently was almost done when I arrived, as he left without speaking about 10 minutes after I started shooting. Just a little weird. Usually there are a few more people around.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I’m itching to get out to the range. An out door range near me is open. I’m thinking of going tomorrow and sight in a Romeo 5 red dot on my AR pistol. I’m not a fan of shooting an AR indoors. Need more room to stretch it out. 7B29E333-9136-4BDB-8EDD-9113170940B0_1586049762775.jpg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts