Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the gun range this morning to function check and sight in a few guns, mostly rimfires

The biggest surprise was the FN 10/1971 in .32 ACP with exceptional accuracy. I consider the Weihrauch Arminius HW9's the ugly duckling, along with the Colt OMM and pre-1969 Korths but with also great accuracy, dependability and longevity. The S&W 41, Colt Match Target and Weihrauch did well with Aguila standard velocity ammo, while The Victor, the FN 150 and Manurhin PP didn't.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
What did I shoot today?

A very early Ruger 10/22, and a couple hundred rounds of loose ammo. Had more fun than with a satchel full of rhesus monkeys.

M

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sadly looks as if Mike and I are the only ones that are working on our shooting skills instead of a post count:D. Well, I went this morning again, mostly to sight a few guns in and test them for function.

The FN Medalist International had misfired a few times at the last visit. So I cleaned the firing pin channel and the gun performed as flawless as I expected from it. Then I shot a Manurhin PP since it is so long that I had taken a PP in .32ACP to the range.

Alright, that is when I switched to serious guns.

A Sphinx AT2000 S, SIG P210-4 and a Nowlin 1911 in 9mm. All where shooting well enough and I did not get hammer bitten by the P210-4 but regretted that I had not removed the magazine safety; the trigger was noticeably worse than on the P210 without it.

The trigger on the Sphinx is light years ahead of the CZ 75 SP-01 that I have in my safe!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing!

Called to make a reservation at the local indoor range for tonight, only to find it's closed until further notice for cleaning.

Rats! I was planning to shoot my normal combination of .22 and .45 pistols, and zero my Rossi RS22 that I just installed a scope on.

Last time I was there a guy in the next booth had a couple new shooters with him. When I looked over he was handing one of them his Romanian PSL (7.62x54R)! One of the new shooters hit the target hangar and knocked it to the ground. The target was set a 15 feet - just like when the owner was shooting it.

I decided it was time to leave.

Hopefully the range is back open next week.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing!

Called to make a reservation at the local indoor range for tonight, only to find it's closed until further notice for cleaning.

Rats! I was planning to shoot my normal combination of .22 and .45 pistols, and zero my Rossi RS22 that I just installed a scope on.

Last time I was there a guy in the next booth had a couple new shooters with him. When I looked over he was handing one of them his Romanian PSL (7.62x54R)! One of the new shooters hit the target hangar and knocked it to the ground. The target was set a 15 feet - just like when the owner was shooting it.

I decided it was time to leave.

Hopefully the range is back open next week.
That sounds terrible, I go at least twice a week and am already disappointed when I have to wait 15 minutes because the range is full, or they have a class running late but not being able to shoot for days would cause severe withdrawal symptoms.

That kind of accuracy is what I also see as common at the ranges that I go to! A lot of folks hang a B-27 target at 15 to 25 feet and spray in controlled rapid fire all over the target. Only on the internet do we find the all-day-long two inch groups fired offhand with an iron sighted handgun at 25 yards:).

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would suggest a D/FW member range day, but these always go nowhere.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I went to the local indoor range with a few guns to check function and to adjust the sights.

Starting from the left of the photo:

The High Standard 102 "space Gun" was a pleasant surprise! The sights give a very clear picture and the trigger pull is excellent, it also worked with both magazines.

The S&W 17-5 shot as expected in single action but failed to set most of the Aguila SV off in d/a. Back home, I took the grips off and found the strain screw out at least a whole turn. At that occasion I also adjusted the overtravel stop and did some action work.

The little Walther PP in .22 l.r. was a hoot to shoot. It worked very well and is really a fun plinker.

The Haemmerli International sports some grips that I made out of a set that was completely messed up by some very untalented former owner but the gun shoots as well as any Hammerli. The trigger characteristics are outstanding.

Finally, the Walther PP Sport with some well-made wooden grips. I adjusted the sights and enjoyed a few mags through it. This one has a pretty good trigger, better than what I have seen on other PP Sports.

Overall I spent a nice Saturday morning at the range and enjoyed this great hobby.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Nice collection you have there, and brave range day trip.

I've begun taking only a few to the range to work on specific things, when I see that photo I am counting the hours of cleaning..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Are those "southpaw" target grips on the Haemmerli International?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are those "southpaw" target grips on the Haemmerli International?
No, they are regular right hand grips that I made out of Hammerli grips with the adjustable shelf. That weight is humungous and still has a set screw from an FN International II weight in it until I find an M8 set screw for it.

I guess that the next range day will be a wheelgun event. I love revolvers and got some nice .38 Special reloads for the MR73s and a S&W M15 ready. Maybe I will take a Korth along to compare the MR73 to.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yesterday, old gun day. Ruger 44 mag carbine, S&W model 15, Pre 60 Marlin lever action 22, and an H&R 929 22 revolver. Don't bring out the old guns to often, but when I do sure is fun. Considering a couple were given to me by Grandfather before he passed in 1975. Old guys still shoot good.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incidentally I also shot a S&W 15-3 yesterday. I had to sight it in and it did so well at 25 yards, that I changed the service grips to Hogues as soon as I was home. The other guns yesterday were a .22 Korth, FN 150 and a MR73.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Incidentally I also shot a S&W 15-3 yesterday. I had to sight it in and it did so well at 25 yards, that I changed the service grips to Hogues as soon as I was home. The other guns yesterday were a .22 Korth, FN 150 and a MR73.

My model 15 was new in box when I got it, 1975. Grand father never had a chance to shoot it. I've only put through maybe 200 rounds. Sweet trigger and super accurate.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My model 15 was new in box when I got it, 1975. Grand father never had a chance to shoot it. I've only put through maybe 200 rounds. Sweet trigger and super accurate.
I do believe that S&W had their best workers put the models 14 and 15 together. I found them to be pretty uniformly better than other models when it comes to timing and fit. On a sidenote, I just cleaned the grips on a 1952 S&W M&P pre-M10 and looked the gun over closely. The crane is fitted very well with barely any visible line. The action is also what I consider S&W perfect. S&W revolvers from the late 70s on were more hit and miss and in the 80s it got even worse, canted and slanted barrels and lousy finish were all too often found on new guns.

·
Registered
510 Posts
In 1981, my first duty weapon was a S&W model 28. Built like a tank and about as heavy. Performed well for about eight months, then the hammer started hanging up. Never seen this in a revolver. Our gunsmith detected a very slight burr at the base of the hammer. He wouldn't touch it. Sent it back to Smith. They sent me a new gun! Carried the 28 for six years until we upgraded to semi autos.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Besides a Weihrauch HW9 that did pretty well, I shot a Bernadelli P018 and a Walther P5. The Bernadelli gave me some problems, since the mag catch was installed right but I could fix that at home. Despite that, it is an accurate, easy to shoot and very fast gun. Recoil recovery and trigger characteristics are good. It reminds me somehow of an Alfa Romeo, though.

DÜA will like my assessment of the P5. I had not shot one in a few years and liked shooting it a lot. It is accurate and very well made, oozing quality. Already when I dryfired it before going to the range, I noticed that the hammer fell smoothly without undue vibrations, that some guns unfortunately have.

Both guns are great shooters.

The HW 9 did well with cheap Aguila SV ammo. For a first outing with this HW9, it is good enough for me as a senior shooter and six of the 18 rounds having been double action.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
The S&W 17-5 shot as expected in single action but failed to set most of the Aguila SV off in d/a. Back home, I took the grips off and found the strain screw out at least a whole turn. At that occasion I also adjusted the overtravel stop and did some action work.
Original mainspring? I've noticed a couple thousandths variance, and it makes a difference. I like the ribbed ones for reliable reduced double action, but have a 625 that will only run with the thickest factory one in my box.

How are you 'adjusting the overtravel stop'? A short rod inside the rebound spring? I've seen that in some older Smiths, and may add one to some of mine during our enforced isolation.
I did drill/tap the trigger guard behind the trigger for an overtravel screw (come in at an angle...) but didn't care for it aesthetically. And a broken tap would spoil the day; won't do it again.
I'm green over your collection, not just for St. Paddy's. :D
Moon
ETA-Regarding the original question, been in FL for two weeks, and the virus is running us home early. Took the 365 along, but didn't get to a range. I'll need some trigger time when we're home.
M

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
......DÜA will like my assessment of the P5. I had not shot one in a few years and liked shooting it a lot. It is accurate and very well made, oozing quality. Already when I dryfired it before going to the range, I noticed that the hammer fell smoothly without undue vibrations, that some guns unfortunately have.

Both guns are great shooters.........

Hahaha, my ears were ringing.

Let me know if you ever want to shoot the P5 Lange and P5 in 30 Luger chambering. I can bring out the 1900 DWM Am Eagle in 30 Luger too. The Lange shooting 124gr/1200fps ammo with the 8# springs is something special.

Good to hear someone enjoying P5s as much as my sons and myself.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Original mainspring? I've noticed a couple thousandths variance, and it makes a difference. I like the ribbed ones for reliable reduced double action, but have a 625 that will only run with the thickest factory one in my box.

How are you 'adjusting the overtravel stop'? A short rod inside the rebound spring? I've seen that in some older Smiths, and may add one to some of mine during our enforced isolation.
I did drill/tap the trigger guard behind the trigger for an overtravel screw (come in at an angle...) but didn't care for it aesthetically. And a broken tap would spoil the day; won't do it again.
I'm green over your collection, not just for St. Paddy's. :D
Moon
ETA-Regarding the original question, been in FL for two weeks, and the virus is running us home early. Took the 365 along, but didn't get to a range. I'll need some trigger time when we're home.
M
The older K-frame target guns had a cut out in the frame for a pivoting trigger stop. The Aguila does not ignite reliably in many rimfire guns that I had used it in and the S&W 17-5 had the standard main spring but I have also a ribbed spring in some of my S&W revolvers, they work well with a reduced weight.

While you came back from Florida, my youngest drove down there for one week last Saturday and is now enjoying the beaches of Bradenton. He still misses Florida madly.

DÜA,

I am afraid that my gun range will eventually be closed to COVID-19! I am sneaking out of work this morning and shoot my early birthday present again, the Nowlin Challenger that Nowlin Sr. built in 1999. Last Saturday I compared it to the SIG P210-6 but had a few too many coffees or the Geco 124gr ammo is really less accurate than Magtech or CCI and I don't feel like reloading 9mm right now. I shot a 9.0 average at 25 with the P210-6 and 8.95 with the Challenger but shot the Challenger in rapid fire. The Nowlin seems to be really "forgiving" and will not drop a shot if follow-though isn't perfect. The Challenger is also a pistol that makes double taps fun and easy, while I restrict the P210-6 to controlled pairs, in order to not get frustrated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing!

(SNIP)
Well, more bad news...

That range may not reopen. Cost to clean and remove the lead exceeds the range's revenue apparently.

Hopefully someone higher-up will see a benefit, if not profit, for the company.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts