Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new P22 owner here...my first gun in fact. I'm attempting to learn the ropes of safe gun handling, inspection, etc., and the P22 seemed like an ideal trainer.

I have kind of a stupid question...I know that dry-firing with the safety set on "fire" is forbidden, and even with the safety in "safe" position is somewhat controversial...what about repeatedly opening the action? Of course, some wear occurs any time moving parts are moved, but will this greatly accelerate wear? Also, when returning to slide to the forward position (in an unloaded gun, of course), should it always be slammed forward, or gently ridden into battery?

One other question...I field-stripped it once, and had a quite a time reassembling it, but not for the most common reason. I figured out the guide-rod thing pretty quickly, but I could not tell if the takedown lever was supposed to be up or down. With it up, the slide would not fit over the frame rails, and with it down, the action would not close, and the takedown lever would not go up...until about my 20th attempt...then it was fine - takedown lever went up, and the slide release worked fine. Freakish occurence, or some obvious mistake on my part?

Thanks for any input, nice forum here! I've been lurking a little while. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Racking the slide will not hurt your P22. It racks every time you pull the trigger, and if you add a few more doing it by hand, you won't hurt it.

As to the reassembly: The takedown lever should remain down when reassembling. You do activate the slide stop with the slide all the way back when reassembling, right? If not, bring the slide all the way back, push up on the slide stop, and then push the takedown lever up to its "closed" position. It does require a little "positive reinforcement" to get it closed.

..Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and advice, joegerardi. As to your second question, I'm going to take the fifth.:) Seriously, though, I think that must have been my problem, and I inadvertently did it correctly the final time. Good to know that it was an error on my part and not a defective product. Again, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I rack the slide on mine quite a bit when I'm practicing failure drills, etc. Granted I do this more with my P99, but I have done it with my P22 also. I like using my P22 in the same way I would my P99. Keeps things consistant.

You should be just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just disassembled and reassembled my 3.4" barrel P22 twice in a row with no difficulties whatsoever the second time. Having done it 3 times now with exponentially decreasing duration of the reassembly operation, I can say that it is incredibly easy once you know how, but there are a few steps/techniques not covered very thoroughly in the manual that could lead to at least half-hours of frustration for a first-timer (as it did me).

Disassembly:

1. Release magazine, confirm that it is empty.
2. Open action to confirm that the chamber is empty (there is a magazine disconnect safety, but it's a good habit), release slide back into battery.
3. Cock hammer.
4. Pull down takedown lever.
5. Retract slide and lift it off the frame rear-end first (it will come off at an angle), taking care to not lose the recoil spring and guide rod.

Reassembly:

1. Insert guide rod and spring in hole in frame below and parallel to the barrel.
2. Insert plastic spring guide tool through the hole in the front of the slide below the muzzle opening, so that it runs where the guide rod would be were the pistol assembled.
3. Hold the slide above and somewhat to the front of the frame so that the plastic spring guide tool enters into the muzzle end of the recoil spring, occupying the space the guide rod would occupy were the spring more compressed.
4. Place slide onto frame keeping everything aligned as well as possible and "pay out" the plastic spring guide tool through the hole in the front of the slide (The recoil spring will be compressing as this is done). The slide should attach to the frame, in the retracted position. This part is a little tricky but not counterintuitive, so practice makes perfect.
5. Press slide release, align the slide perfectly parallel to the frame, and it should close into battery.
6. Push up on takedown lever, locking it flush into the frame.
7. Insert empty magazine.
8. Decock pistol.

Anyhow, that worked for me (if I've made any mistakes, please correct me - if there are any newbies reading this, please bear in mind I'm extremely green myself), and I'm something of a klutz with mechanical objects more complex than a pair of scissors. Thanks for the great tips everyone. Probably old hat for most of you, but I must say knowing how to field-strip your first gun is a good feeling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts