Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. I recently became a proud owner of a PPQ M2 5” and M2 navy SD. I tried it at the range for the first time yesterday and both shot beautifully. I did, however, have two instances of a ftf with the 5”. Both times it was only the first round of the mag where after racking there was no bang. LCI was red. I could easily rack the slide and eject the cartridge. Both times after ejecting the cartridge the gun didn’t return to full battery and needed a tap. The rest of the mag was flawless. Both times I located the round, there was no primer strike and after reloading it no issues firing them. I had no issues mid magazine. I did get 2 after market Walther magazines and being new to guns I didn’t use the slide release in these instances when racking. Is this something to be concerned about? Does it seem to be user error with improper racking, a magazine issue, or something else? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Hand racking is probably the culprit. If you're gonna hand rack it, pull the slide all the way to the rear and then let go. When the slide starts forward, it has to strip a round out of the top of the magazine, push it up/into the chamber then when the slide is about 3/8" from fully forward the barrel will start to cam (move) up, forcing the rim of the cartridge under the extractor claw.....all this is slowing down the momentum of the slide, and if you didn't do a full rip and release the slide may not have enough velocity/momentum to make it all the way forward, stopping about 1/8" out of battery. And, if you don't look at the slide to make sure its in battery and instead just try to fire a round, the trigger will release the striker, which will zoom forward, but if the slide is out of battery, the striker will not make contact with the primer. When the striker is released, it also allows the slide to jut forward that last 1/8" into battery. You just had a click and no bang and you're wondering why, cuz the gun looks good....slide is in battery....etc.

I rarely rack the slide to chamber a round. I usually insert a mag with the slide locked back, then thumb the slide lock and let the spring slam the slide forward.

If you hand rack the slide and or ride the slide forward, it'll more than likely hang up at about 1/8" from all the way forward, requiring a little nudge or tap to get it to go all the way into battery.

Same thing can happen during live fire if you don't use a firm grip on the pistol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hand racking is probably the culprit. If you're gonna hand rack it, pull the slide all the way to the rear and then let go. When the slide starts forward, it has to strip a round out of the top of the magazine, push it up/into the chamber then when the slide is about 3/8" from fully forward the barrel will start to cam (move) up, forcing the rim of the cartridge under the extractor claw.....all this is slowing down the momentum of the slide, and if you didn't do a full rip and release the slide may not have enough velocity/momentum to make it all the way forward, stopping about 1/8" out of battery. And, if you don't look at the slide to make sure its in battery and instead just try to fire a round, the trigger will release the striker, which will zoom forward, but if the slide is out of battery, the striker will not make contact with the primer. When the striker is released, it also allows the slide to jut forward that last 1/8" into battery. You just had a click and no bang and you're wondering why, cuz the gun looks good....slide is in battery....etc.

I rarely rack the slide to chamber a round. I usually insert a mag with the slide locked back, then thumb the slide lock and let the spring slam the slide forward.

If you hand rack the slide and or ride the slide forward, it'll more than likely hang up at about 1/8" from all the way forward, requiring a little nudge or tap to get it to go all the way into battery.

Same thing can happen during live fire if you don't use a firm grip on the pistol.
imaoldfart, well said.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have never had that happen in my match pistol. Hand racking or otherwise. Maybe it has a lighter spring? Does it happen with all the mags? Reloads or factory ammo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since it was my first time out I didn’t think about marking the magazine it happened with. I will make note next time. It could be a mag issue though. For ammo it was factory 124gr blazer brass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Lots of great info here, thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I'm with fart about this. Poor hand racking technique is the most likely culprit here.
I've seen this happen on occasion during training and it usually will occur with a newer firearm and/or when someone "rides the slide forward".
Next time your out try both methods but when racking by hand make sure to pull back and let go! No riding this time. I'll bet you'll be fine with both styles.
(BTW marking your mags is always a good idea.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm with fart about this. Poor hand racking technique is the most likely culprit here.
I've seen this happen on occasion during training and it usually will occur with a newer firearm and/or when someone "rides the slide forward".
Next time your out try both methods but when racking by hand make sure to pull back and let go! No riding this time. I'll bet you'll be fine with both styles.
(BTW marking your mags is always a good idea.)
Thanks for the reply. That was honestly my suspicion too since there were no issues mid magazine. I’ll mark my mags next time and focus on not riding the slide and see how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I shoot IPSC with my PPQ so I have a habit of checking that the slide is fully forward after the “load and make ready” command. Ask me why I do that :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also never hurts to do a thorough cleaning and add a good lube to the channels on either side of the slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
put 600 rounds through it it will be fine

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my EDC PPQ Q5 Match polymer in a modified Alien Gear thumb release holster. Thousands of rounds and not a single malfunction of any kind. I bet my life on it.

One of the things I actually discovered by accident that I love, and it surprised me when it happened, is that after the last round, slide lock, and magazine release, if I insert the next magazine and drive it home with a good solid wack of my palm it automatically releases the slide and puts a round in battery all in one fell swoop.

There is no need to insert the magazine then release the slide, a two step process, when driving the magazine home solidly does it all in one.

If you haven’t tried this with the PPQ’s (maybe other models too) give it try. Don’t snowflake the magazine insertion or it won’t work.

I would think all of Walther’s Competition shooters should know this but not a single video I’ve seen of the Team competing shows them taking advantage of this little trick. When seconds count, why waste them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of the things I actually discovered by accident that I love, and it surprised me when it happened, is that after the last round, slide lock, and magazine release, if I insert the next magazine and drive it home with a good solid wack of my palm it automatically releases the slide and puts a round in battery all in one fell swoop.

There is no need to insert the magazine then release the slide, a two step process, when driving the magazine home solidly does it all in one.
I have seen this happen on mine several times while at the range, but I never made up my mind whether it was a feature or a bug. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Could just be an undocumented feature. I certainly take advantage of it. It’s a one step process to insert a new magazine and Bingo, your ready to fire.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have seen this happen on mine several times while at the range, but I never made up my mind whether it was a feature or a bug.
If you ever compete in the action pistol sports, you'll love this feature. Not only does my Q5 do it, but so did me M&P Pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I NEVER have an issue hand racking my 5” PPQ But it does take some hand strength. If your ammo is not factory then you might want to a plunk test.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts

If you haven’t tried this with the PPQ’s (maybe other models too) give it try. Don’t snowflake the magazine insertion or it won’t work.

I would think all of Walther’s Competition shooters should know this but not a single video I’ve seen of the Team competing shows them taking advantage of this little trick. When seconds count, why waste them.
I wouldn't count on this or train this way, especially if this is your EDC or duty weapon. You may just end up regretting it. The round doesn't always load.
In competition all you lose is time. In the real world you could lose a lot more. This is why you don't see it in training videos.
This isn't much of a secret.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts