Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased today a very nice PP manufactured in 1972. It’s only markings are the usual antler and the usual national German with the nitro “N” on the top of the barrel and the nitro mark also on th frame close to theS/N 4421xx. Pretty standard but I’m looking for thought why it’s void of any import marks or verbiage at all and it has a lanyard ring ( rectangle shape) on the heal butt. Common I’m sure but I’ve never had one like this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Some import marks can be small and hard to locate. I think quite a few just don't get marked at all. It's not like ATF inspects every single one as they come in. A lot of the Yugu SKS's sold by Samco Global weren't marked. I've got a Polish wz.48 that looks like the importer used an acid etcher. It's so faint it looks like it will rub right off.

Here's my Walther P5 imported by Simpson Ltd. of Galesburg, IL :

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Import stamps have only been required for commercial importation, so any other route here, be it via a service member as already mentioned, an immigrant, another type of private import, would not result in a stamp.

A 1972 specimen with lanyard loop, but no German state mark is possibly a former Scandinavian police gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has a he usual Walther logo etc and Ulm etc on the one side exactly like my other two have. It just not have the interarms verbiage on the other side. It is blank.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I always shudder when I see the term "quick question" used in a thread starter...it is usually neither quick nor just one question...

mrsig you may want to post a few good photos of both sides of your weapon to help us resolve your issues...and give you some answers past mere speculation.

Reactions: mixologist

·
Registered
690 Posts
It has a he usual Walther logo etc and Ulm etc on the one side exactly like my other two have. It just not have the interarms verbiage on the other side. It is blank.
Aha. Olsoul is right; photos prevent misunderstandings.

I’m not sure any imported surplus PP’s had the “Interams verbiage” on the slide like some P1’s or the Interams PPK/S. The usual importer mark is the small acronym of Interams, Century or a few others on the frame above the trigger guard. There can also be the HK on the front strap on Bavarian-marked PP’s.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
FWIIW, I have owned a Walther with an importer mark on the frame but not visable because it is under the grip panels. Yes, I know, but that is where it was.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Mrsig,It is not a waste of time if you learnt anything , pictures are very helpful ,as the saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words . There is lots of detail in a good picture that you can see in a glance ,and is a whole lot harder to misunderstand or be obtuse about . Asking questions has a learning curve all of it's own . Ayb

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
It’s only markings are the usual antler and the usual national German with the nitro “N” on the top of the barrel and the nitro mark also on th frame close to theS/N 4421xx.
Some nice pictures probably will reveal the conflict of the S/N with the year 1972. Presumably the S/N is rather 4241xx instead. We can also assume that the third German proof was overseen: the one on the barrel. It's more than likely that the portion of the frame visible to the ejection port was confused with the barrel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.