Walther Forums banner

Quick NIght Sight Question PPQ SC

8K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Cactus9 
#1 ·
Hi Looked but can't find the answer quickly.

Will any regular PPQ night sights also fit the PPQ SC? Or do they need a different size?

#7 ·
I have and love Speed Sights on my PPQ, and have been waiting impatiently for them to come out with a PPQ SC/PPS M2 model.
Their web site doesn't mention these are available yet, so I'd love to know how you got a set for your PPQ SC.. if you dont mind my asking?
Thank you!

#5 ·
I'm not saying bad about the other sights mentioned but you should know all your options.

I have Dawson Precision sights on my PPQsc. I'm very satisfied with them.

I nice thing about Dawson is they can do just about anything you'd like -- different heights and widths and whatnot. They make very high quality sights, know their business and are great to deal with.

#10 ·
Hello! I am new to the forum and new to Walther. I think there is still some confusion regarding replacement sights for the PPQ SC. 1) Would I be correct to say that I would always choose the PPS version of any sights that I choose, as the attachment design is shared between the PPS and the SC, while the attachment is completely different for the full size PPQ? 2) I would love to hear other peoples experiences with Night Sights, Fiber Optic/Tritium combo sites. Went to Dawson. No night sights in this size. Saw the Speed sights. Gravitating towards the TruGlo TFX Pro sights. Any and all opinions and recommendations and/or advice would be welcome :) Thank you.

#13 ·
I dont know what to tell you. They did mine when the PPQ SC first came out. They wanted me to send it in because they had never had one in the shop before and wanted to take measurements and examine it. Keep in mind this was when the PPQ SC first came out. I was an early adopter on that one.

I do remember them saying they do not in general keep tritium sights in stock but make them as needed in order to deliver the freshest, brightest tritium possible. Is it true? Beats me but I have no reason to not believe them.

I have their sights on many of their guns and both the sights and the service has been great.

#14 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience. The Tritium explanation makes sense as it does get dimmer with time and only has a reasonable brightness rate for 10 years +/-. I will call them. I have not purchased the SC quite yet, was wanting to have the sights before ordering (BTW, they seem to be an especially good value right now in some stores, selling for $400). It strikes me as strange that it seems to be an "odd man out" with regard to sights. Maybe not enough have been sold in order for manufacturers to manufacture sights? For me, this purchase started out as a search for a CCW and looking at smaller guns. I found them all wanting and wanted something that was more well rounded so to speak. So I came down to the PPQ SC & the HK VP9sk. Are you happy with your SC? Do you carry it daily as a concealed carry? Thanks.

#17 · (Edited)
The brightness Iluminosity will start out at time zero ( Io ) directly proportional to the amount of tritium loaded into the vile.

The relationship for( I) will follow the decay curve directly proptional to the amount of tritium.
Kar gave the half life 12.5 yrs. So no matter the amount of tritium present it will be 1/2 of the amount after one halflife (12.5 yr).

The relationship for calculating amount of radioactive isotope at any given time is:

(1/2)exp( time/halflife). I used exp to mean (1/2) raised to the power (time / halflife).

To use the equation time must be of the same units at halflife. So 6 months would be .5 yr.

Example
7 yr
I = Io*(1/2)exp(7/12.5)
I = Io*(1/2)exp(0.56)
I = O.67Io
About 67 percent of initial tritium loading

at 10 yr

I = Io*(1/2)exp(10/12.5)
I = Io*(1/2)exp(.8)
I = 0.57 Io
About 57 percent of initial tritium loading

So the manufacture choose product useful life and back calulates the required intial tritium loading to get the required illuminosity at the rated life. That is why the 10 year sights are loaded up with more tritium in the vile compared to the 7 yr sights.

I know Homer Simpson would say "who needs all that mathamatical technical mumbo jumbo."

" I will take the 10 year sights".

#16 ·
Cactus, I love my SC and have carried it daily since I got it around 18 months ago iirc. I’m just north of 3000 rounds through it and haven’t had any issues. It’s a very concealable weapon even for a small frame person. My only complaint would be the lack of a 12 round mag, the 10 with the pinky extension is just slightly small for my hand while the 15 prints a little for me depending on what I’m wearing. No issues at all with wear, the polymer guts are no issue. I’ve put everything but 147 grain through it without an issue, whether jhp or fmj.

#18 · (Edited)
Finally made the purchase!

Even though I haven't exactly worked out the night sight issue (more on that in a moment), after a trip to the range and renting and putting through 100 rounds into a Sig 365 - I was underwhelmed with both my own ability and the gun. Just couldn't get used to it. Having said the above I don't have prior experience with micro type compacts. And while I think I only have medium sized man hands, it just seemed like I had way too much hand and not enough gun.

So I came to the conclusion that I needed a bit more gun to grip and one that shot like something a bit larger, if that makes sense. Then when I returned home I found a PM from a very nice person from this forum who kindly shared, that a store he just purchased an SC from was still selling it at an AMAZING price! So that really sealed the deal for me. While nothing is perfect, I like many attributes of the SC: The proven reliability and track record of the PPQ series, my belief that I will be able to use it in specific situations as a CCW even though it is not a "micro" sized gun, the build quality, the trigger, the lifetime warranty & the price.

And with a little luck, I will eventually find out the night sight solution I am looking for through someone here in the forum. I did speak to Dawson directly - He/they were very nice. But I would have to send in the gun in, there would be extra charges, it would take a month or so, etc. So that solution was not the best for me. As for SpeedSights, they sent me back a one line strangely worded email with a no in capital letters and quotes: "NO" in response to my question as to whether they have sights for the SC - not sure what was meant by that? Spoke to XS as they are the providers of the factory sights/the official NS model, but nothing on their website for the SC model - They basically said I could order the PPS sights but I might have to do some filing and finish work to make it fit? Adding he didn't know what the factory did and said it would be an unadjustable sight. In short, I'm a little surprised at the lack of support or knowledge of the sight manufacturers with regard to the SC? Perhaps they limit themselves to the guns that sell in the largest volumes? Who knows. Anyway thanks to everyone here who takes the time to help out Walther newbies & folks like me. Much appreciated! I'll follow up once my FFL receives it and I can put a few hundred rounds through! :)

#19 ·
As an FYI, with regard to night sights, I just received my first positive confirmation of compatible night sights from the 4 or 5 manufacturers I contacted by phone or email - confirming that a set of sights of theirs would fit.

All others said they did not support the PPQ SC with their sights. (Dawson is willing to make them for you if you send in your gun and for an extra charge & XS said their F8's would fit, but might need extra work to make them fit properly).

Here is the link from Trijicon. The only unfortunate thing is that they are pretty pricey.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Walther PPQ SC uses the Walther PPS sights. I have included the link to them below."

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=WP102-C-600743

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.