Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the new guy has some questions.

1. Barrel wear? does any one know how many rounds before they are shot out?

2. I often dry fire my p99 is this a bad thing?

3. Any problem with 9mm floor plates?

Great pistol by the way I traded in a Glock for it I could never get comfortable with the Glock grip. I do hope the Walther holds up as well as my Glock did I do a great deal of Hiking in extream weather conditions and I need a side arm to work when called upon.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome!

1: dunno

2: you can dry fire your P99 as often as you like. In fact it improves the trigger. That last thing I feel is actually not good. Had the various parts been properly polished and hardened in the factory the trigger would have been great from the start and not change appreciably after 1000 trigger pulls.

3: haven't heard of any

You hike with a sidearm? Where is that? Farawayistan? :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JBL @ Feb. 09 2005,6:44)]1. Barrel wear? does any one know how many rounds before they are shot out?

2. I often dry fire my p99 is this a bad thing?

3. Any problem with 9mm floor plates?
1. How many rounds do you plan on firing? I have yet to see a barrel wear out on a pistol. Even my IPSC friends who shoot at least 10000 rounds a year haven't replaced a barrel yet.

2. I dry fire all the time. I do use snap caps though.

3. Haven't heard of any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nocturnal

Yes I hike with a sidearm ever since I was chased down by wild dogs or coy dogs after a long hike many years ago when I was about 15 years old. I managed to climb a tree and had to stay there till mornning before they left. I realized it was not me but the food I had in my pack so for the past few years I do take one of my pistols. I live in western MA. coy dogs are a problem in western MA. although I have not had any more problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
1.) If properly cleaned, the gun will probably outlive you. I've read endurance tests where the P99 passed 65,000 9mm rounds in a day.

2.) No. It doesnt hurt anything at all. I spent a lot of time doing that myself to train the gun to stay steady when I pull the trigger.

3.) None that I've seen. The 9mm Walthers are generally made better overall.

·
Registered
539 Posts
JBL: sorry to hear about those dogs and I hope you won't be required to shoot any. Not that I particularly care about the dogs but I'm sure it would attract a lot of attention your way that you could do without.

·
Registered
53 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (IronyMask @ Feb. 14 2005,6:27)]I've read endurance tests where the P99 passed 65,000 9mm rounds in a day.
65,000 a day?  It is 45 rounds a minute.  I can't believe anybody can keep such a pace for 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

That barrel must have been white hot...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I saw tons of glocks in Iraq. They were not fareing very well with all the sand. One guy showed me plastic peeling off the metal in a non vital area.

I saw four people with walther p99's. I cant say who or what they worked for, military british/australian, in civilian clothes. Carried AK-47 and these walthers. THe walther although they had some scratch and a good bit of wear in all the normal places, they looked great considering.

THat being said I dont know who had more gun care knowledge. I will say if a firearm holds up in Iraq then its got some quality. That includes HK, Sig, Walther, and dare I say it glock? The beretta's were not holding up

On that note I baby my Walther massively. Its like my kid, but its shot in rain storms, and out of a kayak on the river. Water seems not to be a issue.

Take what you will from this, but I am satisfied.

·
Registered
31 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (InfernoMDM @ Feb. 15 2005,12:13)]That includes HK, Sig, Walther, and dare I say it glock?
You just named the only handguns I'd ever buy, except for a Browning high power. ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Personally, I don’t think a person can afford to shoot out a barrel with standard velocity ammo. That said, I do think a reasonable cleaning practice is in order to maintain the best possible accuracy a barrel can produce…

Occasional dry firing will not hurt any good quality center fire handgun, however like P88 said, I use snap caps for an extended dry fire session…. And like Nocturnal said, it improves the trigger...

Haven’t heard of any mag issues with the 9mm…

Very interesting observation InfernoMDM! Thanks for sharing, and more importantly, Thanks for serving!

Be Prepared! The Boy Scout motto I learned as a kid!
I always carry (ok, most of the time), in the woods, or in the city. There’s wild critters in both places…
I attribute this “Boy Scout” attitude in saving my life (and my families), a couple of times…

1 - 14 of 14 Posts