Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new to trying to dig up history on pistols from what i think is WWII era.
the following photos are of a pistol i happen to get from local gun shop, owner sold it to the shop for $25 and i offered them $75 to let me take it home right then, they were going to send it out to get re-blued. from reading these other posts ive gathered that i was correct that the proof marks are nazi proof from around the end of the war.
My question to you Walther guros is, would it be a wise idea to leave the pistol as is or use some blue touch up paste? i readed about papers the should have come back with the gun from the war, but i have none, is that a problem? anyone able to tell me more of this pistol's history would be great!
Thanks
oh pistol didnt come with a mag, any advice on a good place to get a era correct one?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to ask, would love to take this little puppy to the range, broke it down and could find no stress cracks at all. would modern day ammo be to stressful on it. grabbed a box of MAGTECH 71gr FMJs. Good or bad idea?
Sorry for all the questions first "Antique" ive owned.

·
Registered
432 Posts
First of all I believe it is unwise to mess with the finish. While it's not as pretty as some of the WWII Walthers you will see here, it has charisma and is a piece of history. I have now and have owned many wartime pistols and rifles in my 35+ years of collecting and the original finish is always the the best IMHO.
Secondly the Magtech 71gr FMJ is just fine in your pistol as I shoot in it my Walthers and other .32/7.65mm pistols but I would clean it well and replace the recoil spring before you shoot it.
Enjoy it as it is for what it is. Just my 2 cents:)
Correct mags are available but expensive. Somebody here should be able to direct you to one but expect to pay upwards of $100 for an original clip. You can get a real Walther mag here for shooting: http://www.robertrtg.com/ppkmag.html
or good aftermarket mags here: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/wapp3mawmane.html

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
...following photos are of a pistol i happen to get from local gun shop, owner sold it to the shop for $25 and i offered them $75 to let me take it home right then...
Let me get this straight, as I did indulge in a fair amount of red wine last night and I'm a bit foggy this morning...

The local gun shop bought the pistol from the original owner for $25 and then sold it to you for $75?

Is that correct?

Did this transaction take place before WWII?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me get this straight, as I did indulge in a fair amount of red wine last night and I'm a bit foggy this morning...

The local gun shop bought the pistol from the original owner for $25 and then sold it to you for $75?

Is that correct?

Did this transaction take place before WWII?
hahaha, Yes you did read correct and no im not a time traveler. The original owner who brought it in, said it was his fathers and he just wanted it out of the house. You could tell by the way he was handling the gun that he wasnt a gun owner/shooter and just wanted it gone. (was acting like he was holding a snake). the pistol was in bad condition at this point, dirt and crud all over it and large rust spots. i offered to take it as is to save them the trouble of sending it out to get cleaned up and checked out. Think the combo of the codition and no mag plus they were busy made the shop do a short sale.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Cold blue... :eek:
That's a WWII Walther PP "ac" code military contract PP made in 1945. The three Eagle/N stamps are proofs. The Eagle/WaA359 stamps on the left frame behind the trigger guard and above on the slide are "Waffenamt" military acceptance stamps. If the serial numbers are matching it's one of only 5,500 estimated to exist and a valuable collectors item. Too bad someone covered the serial numbers... ;)
Because these late war Walthers had a weak finish it's common to find them with surface rust or pitting. Refinishing your gun would seriously hurt the collector value and any type of cold blue would be the worst idea of all. The best thing to do is remove any rust and then keep it coated with BreakFree CLP or other preservative. If you send me a PM I'll tell you how to safely remove any remaining rust.
Late war mags are hard to find but here's what you're looking for:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I was amazed myself that they were able to get it for so little. I have a feeling if I'd've walked in twenty minutes later the price would have been around 200 or 300. Just the right place at the right time. Makes me kinda want to open my own store. Problem with that would be I'd keep everthing. Lol.
Thanks for the great info so far. There is so much on this site.
Does anyone know of a place that sells era correct holsters or other PP accessories?
For that matter what did these pistol originally come with, box, holster, cleaning kit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cold blue... :eek:
That's a WWII Walther PP "ac" code military contract PP made in 1945. The three Eagle/N stamps are proofs. The Eagle/WaA359 stamps on the left frame behind the trigger guard and above on the slide are "Waffenamt" military acceptance stamps. If the serial numbers are matching it's one of only 5,500 estimated to exist and a valuable collectors item. Too bad someone covered the serial numbers... ;)
Late war mags are hard to find but here's what you're looking for:
Did the mags have serial numbers on them too?
If they did I'd almost want to get a old "blank" one so that the slide and frame are the only numbers and they both match. If the mags were numbered how commen is it for te pistol to have a random numbered mag?

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Your "ac" military model PP would have been shipped in a bulk wooden packing crate. It was issued with a military marked holster and two flat base unnumbered magazines.

Ebay is a good place to look for original WWII holsters and magazines. Original military holsters sell for $250 and up. WWII magazines can run over $150. Price depends on type, markings, and condition. Watch out though...just because an ad says "original WWII" doesn't mean that's what it is... :rolleyes:

We have several collectors who hang out here with spare holster and mag bins. If you post in the Want to Buy section you may be able to find both. Make sure your PM is turned on... :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Personally if it were mine, I would clean it really well, stop the rust monster, get a few walther/mec-gar mags and enjoy every second of shooting it as it is. Why bother with rebluing it when it is just fine as a shooter as it stands :)

(Note: I am the woman who takes action figures out of the box) ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts