Walther Forums banner

Questions on the redesigned P22

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Target99 
#1 ·
I used to own a P22 back in 2006. My first gun in fact! I loved it... I never encountered any FTF in the few months that I owned it. Granted, I only put 200+ rounds through it but it was as reliable (CCI Stingers). I think I was one of the luck ones!

While reliable.. it wasn't accurate beyond 3 meters or so. Keep in mind I was a newbie and that contributed to a bit of it.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting a .22 pistol for some fun plinking. An afternoon with my .45 gets to be brutal and expensive. I was looking at getting a Buckmark (California market is slim pickings when it comes to handgun choices) and while I've shot one and they're great guns... I like the weight and feel of the P22.

Couple of questions:

With the redesign, have the FTF issues been alleviated and has the accuracy been improved?

Are there any recommended subsonic 22lr rounds that cycle reliably?

Thanks! Jasper

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
<<Couple of questions:

With the redesign, have the FTF issues been alleviated and has the accuracy been improved?

Are there any recommended subsonic 22lr rounds that cycle reliably?>>

I use a replacement Q slide on my 2001-vintage Walther P22 (I got it in January 2002) and the shells fly away from my face, now for the first time. All previous slides sent the hot brass to my temple and nose! Is the Q a better slide? You bet!

The P22 has an incredible barrel. The way to go is to get the "Target" longer 5" version of the barrel that comes with a longer barrel sleeve and a fake compensator. The shorter bbl does not seem to stabilize any LR fodder.

The P22 cycles European-made ammo better (100% reliably), than US-made.22 LRs, for some reason and in my experience since 2002, with the notable exception of CCI Mini-Mags.

The P22 is hold-sensitive. Keep your eye on the front sight (not the target). Allow the trigger to break the shot without pulling it suddenly. Smoothly squeeze until it goes BANG! while looking at the front sight in a repeatable hold (offhand or weaver two hand hold). The P22 is accurate but the shooter may not be.

When I first got mine I couldn't hit 9" @ 27 yards. An experienced shooter put all 5 shots from the mag in a 2" group with that same brand-New P22 of mine in 2002, without any trouble.

Now, I am doing the same thing but it took me several years to perfect it.

#4 ·
Welcome Jasper, the original P22 carried a P99 design theme. In 2010 Walther revised the pistol ergonomics (outside of the pistol) to PPQ ergonomics. At the same time they strengthened the slide at a couple of critical points where the earlier slide showed weakness allowing some to crack.

There is a long list of tiny improvements to the Pistol but a brand new one is 97% still a P22. There is nothing wrong with either barrel for plinker accuracy. Firing one from a mechanical rest at 25M (82') the 5' barrel version was good for 5/8" groups, five rounds. The short barrel version was not quite as accurate but was as accurate as most people would be able to hand hold the pistol. From the rest say, 2" groups. I'd have to look back to see exactly what the short barrel did as far as groups. The other two pistols in this category are the Ruger SR 22 and S&W M&P 22 compact. I've yet to see a compact with a good barrel though.

California gun laws go a long way to why you won't see a QD in that State. No big deal, I think the new Q models come with the captive spring, just not the decocker. I can live with or without the decocker myself. None of the above pistols will compete with the heavier steel pistol above. Heavier, longer barrels, better sights....but how much better do you need than 5/8". BTW, a Ruger bull barrel target had a group of 3/8". If you can shoot better than that....you need to be on the Olympic team and begin using $3,000 pistols. 1917

#5 ·
As far as getting a good one or a bad one, I don't think there ever was such a thing. The originals came with magazines that didn't feed properly due to no rim stagger slot and in about 2006 some pistols were released with magazines that didn't feed right, they had a short stagger slot instead of the 1" slot.

The mostly likely reason for someone getting a pistol that worked was using a fast HV round. The P22 and other short barrel .22s were ammo picky then and still are to one degree or another.. Some .22 ammo just doesn't have enough umph.

I shoot CCI subsonic and quiet in my suppressed QD. The subsonic runs 100%, the quiet about 50%. Rem Goldens run 100% and the odd thing is the most powerful .22 ammo I know of....CCI Velocitors, do not run 100% suppressed. I'm not sure why.....they run fine unsuppressed. They must create a vacuum that sucks all the air out and holds the slide closed.....idk.

Anyway, I expect your luck with your pistol was due to the ammo used and a firm grip. There is nothing wrong with a Q model. Apparently the only difference is the decocker and reading here it seems even that is gone on the newest models. I paid $225 on-line for my QD at Ky Gun Co. 2017 model. 1917

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. Last night, I was thinking to steer clear of the P22 but I'm now re-thinking that decision. I've had some CZs' and Berettas that were finicky (compact models) and I actually enjoyed figuring out how to make them work better (well, except the Nano). Besides, one can't beat the price!

#7 ·
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/89993-p22-qd-assessment-pictures-measurements.html

Periodically I purchase a new P22 when they come out with something new. Above is an assessment of a 2017 QD. It goes into more detail than anyone is probably interested in. I expect a new Q model is exactly the same with the exception of the decocking lever. You should get the same captive recoil spring which is the same spring as day one from what I can tell, just captive now. About time too. 1917

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.