Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at what appears to be pretty nice used Q5 match that I could pick up for $575+ tax.

It's been used, but the finish looks nice. Has the three mags and case but not the optics plates. Does that seem like a good deal?

Also, I broke it down and the guide rod does not have any blue on it ... the pics I've seen of these have blue end caps. This one just looks like a normal PPQ rod ... black. Did some ship without the blue guide rods?

Thanks!
John

Premium Member
I bought mine new in 2018 for $886.47. Both my Q5 Match and PPQ M1 have the guide rod with blue end caps. I haven't heard of a recoil spring or guide rod change but you could ask Walther.

Does it come with the plate with the rear sight? If so it sounds like a good deal to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It has the plate with the sight. I think I'm going to get it.

One other thing ... some reviews of the Q5 refer to it being ported. Is that accurate?

This one has no ports in the barrel, though it has lightening holes in the slide that look like ports. It is an M2 model.

Registered
I haven't seen a 99-series guide rod with a black end cap in a long time. The black end cap guide rods came on P99 pistols years ago, and were slightly longer than the later P99 and PPQ guide rods with the blue end caps, with a different amount of coils. There is a chance that this owner swapped the Q5 guide rod on a pistol he was planning to sell, with the P99 guide rod on a pistol he was planning to keep.

Did the Magnum Research pistols use a blue end cap? I know for a while a lot of people were just purchasing guide rods from them back when they were around $4 each.

Registered
Does the slide says PPQ Q5 match?
That one should be ported but the standard PPQ M2 5" does not (maybe that explains different recoil spring)
And I don't think it came with additional sight plates

Registered
I also like to ask,
Is the the trigger blade blue?
If not,it's not the Q5 match
Unless the previous owner made a change
And check the slide,I don't think the PPQ 5" was ready for different optic plates(I could be wrong about this)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a blue trigger and all the slide lightening holes, as well as the rear sight on a removable plate ... pretty sure it is the Q5 Match.

I will double check that all the serials match. But there were no porting holes in the actual barrel.

Will the frame say Q5 Match somewhere too?

I appreciate the help ... want to avoid getting a Frankengun of some sort.

Premium Member
One other thing ... some reviews of the Q5 refer to it being ported. Is that accurate?
I've never seen an OEM ported barrel from Walther but with the lightening cuts in the slides you could have it done.

Will the frame say Q5 Match somewhere too?

I appreciate the help ... want to avoid getting a Frankengun of some sort.
My frame only says PPQ but if you send the serial number to Walther Arms customer support they should be able to identify how it left the factory. I recently purchased a CCP online and they were able to confirm for me that it was a CCP M2+.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've never seen an OEM ported barrel from Walther but with the lightening cuts in the slides you could have it done.

My frame only says PPQ but if you send the serial number to Walther Arms customer support they should be able to identify how it left the factory. I recently purchased a CCP online and they were able to confirm for me that it was a CCP M2+.

Thanks! I read that the Q5 barrels are serial numbered. If that's correct, I can check that the frame, barrel, and slide match.

Premium Member
I read that the Q5 barrels are serial numbered. If that's correct, I can check that the frame, barrel, and slide match.
You are correct. I forgot about that. Most modern handguns manufactured in Europe have the serial number triplicated.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I picked it up ... was able to dicker down to $530. All the numbers match. Guide rod/recoil spring look odd to me. Gun does not look to have been shot much at all, though.
Wood Gas Bicycle part Flooring Automotive exterior
Cylinder Wood Gas Composite material Skyscraper
Circuit component Wood Audio equipment Cylinder Gas

Drinkware Audio equipment Finger Wood Creative arts

Wood Household hardware Office supplies Gas Automotive tire

Registered
Abaddon,
I have extras of the three factory optics plates and a set of screws. If you're interested, PM me for more info.

I have a few different guide rods I use in my Q5 poly. I disliked the original plastic one so I purchased a BT metal one with the 99n spring and I now use the Walther tungsten one. The tungsten one is nice, adds a bit of weight to the muzzle but it's expensive.

Registered
The early ones came with 3 or 4 plates in addition to the site plate and some time later if you bought a new one Walther would send you one plate for the optic you wanted to use free of charge. The only thing 鈥減orted鈥 was the slide. This was to lighten the slide for those running optics. I shot many thousands of rounds through mine in Production and Carry Optics. Is a great gun and only recently put it in semi- retirement for something heavier.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Abaddon,
I have extras of the three factory optics plates and a set of screws. If you're interested, PM me for more info.

I have a few different guide rods I use in my Q5 poly. I disliked the original plastic one so I purchased a BT metal one with the 99n spring and I now use the Walther tungsten one. The tungsten one is nice, adds a bit of weight to the muzzle but it's expensive.
Thanks! I finally RTFM this week and realized Walther would send me a plate, so I requested the Trijicon/Holosun one. Did you like the BT guide rod? I have one in my PPS. Just wish it was black stainless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts