Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about getting my first handgun and the P99 is on the list.

First I want to be sure I have the actions right:
DAO: Every shot is a long pull, the striker is not moved by the slide.
AS also called SA/DA: Slide can be fully pulled to load a round and set the striker to fire, then a short pull will fire the gun. You could also use the de-cocker to unset the striker and leave a round in the chamber. The first shot will be a long pull, the rest short, unless you rack the slide again.
QA: Every shot is short, if you decock you'll have to rack the slide to be able to fire.

My purpose is defense so AS sounds like the right bet for me, then one can be in the chamber with the gun decocked, but still fireable quicly/with 1 hand, subsequent shots would be easier.

Next up, I plan on getting a 9mm. Is there any quality difference between different years? How about place of manufacture? Is there like a US built model I should avoid and try to get all german? Is some year better in some ay than the others?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check out the Walther P99 FAQ. It's an unofficial site and I don't think it's been updated to reflect the 05's but it's an excelent source of information.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know I tell everyone this, but I am in the same situation. I don't know if you have read about it already, but unfortunately the AS trigger is not being imported by S&W anymore, therefore the only place you can get it is Earl's Repair Service for around $825 (wayyy overpriced). I plan on getting a 2005 QA if and probably when I can not find a 2004 or 2005 AS.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ July 28 2005,02:43)]AS also called SA/DA: Slide can be fully pulled to load a round and set the striker to fire, then a short pull will fire the gun. You could also use the de-cocker to unset the striker and leave a round in the chamber. The first shot will be a long pull, the rest short, unless you rack the slide again.
QA: Every shot is short, if you decock you'll have to rack the slide to be able to fire.
What you have written is correct. However, the P99 has a ?unique? feature where you only need to pull the side back ~3/8" to re... um... "cock" the striker. Which means you don't have to cycle a new round into the chamber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't understand the problem obtaining a P99 AS. Last month I purchased a 2005 model 40 cal AS, all black, from Sprotsmans Warehouse in Boise, Idaho for $ 549.00. Sportsmans Warehouse is a pretty large chain store and has excellent pricing. See if there is a store near where you live.

·
Registered
95 Posts
alright that is good news...i will see if i can make some calls and find a distributor with the AS in stock...then get them to deliver it to my local store asap.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the help guys, it sounds like AS it is. It doesn't seem like theres a huge different from the german made and us made ones I can tell either. I'll probably check with the local gun shop and see if they can find me a 2005 AS I guess. Anyone have a website that is like a directory of gun shows or something?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna order the Styer M9 myself, called up CDNN and ordered it. Then called them up afout 1 hour later and changed it to a P99 because I like it alot better from an ergonomics point of view and for $150 I figured why not. So I bought my P99 QA

·
Registered
10 Posts
right! Why I haven't thought of that! .

But unsell to me the M9, other that this is an P99 forum site... like what are the advantages of the P99 over the M9... thanks.... I really need your opinion here...

·
Registered
10 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ July 29 2005,17:13)]Yeah, I was gonna order the Styer M9 myself, called up CDNN and ordered it. Then called them up afout 1 hour later and changed it to a P99 because I like it alot better from an ergonomics point of view and for $150 I figured why not. So I bought my P99 QA
thanks....
I think I will go with the P99!

·
Registered
10 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ July 29 2005,17:02)]You're asking here? A P99 of course!
right! Why I haven't thought of that!
But unsell to me the M9, other that this is an P99 forum site... like what are the advantages of the P99 over the M9... thanks.... I really need your opinion here...

·
Registered
232 Posts
The P99kateers?

I don't know much about the Styer M9. It's a Glock type gun, like the P99. It's less expensive. The only downside in my mind, besides the ergonomics, was the potential lack of parts availability down the road. Honestly I probably should have bought the Glock 19 from a logical point of view, but the P99 was just too sexy. Actually a friend of mine's wife bought a P22 which he brought plinking with us the following weekend. I liked the way it felt in my hand, and went and looked at the P99 afterwords several times. It sits in the hand so naturally, they just did an excelent job designing the grip. I couldn't get a Glock over it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts