Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pre-war PPK from the wife of a friend who collected guns and recently passed away. Crown N marks on slide and barrel. Dumb, but simple question: how many rounds are supposed to fit in the magazine? I put in 7 rounds (murder on my thumb) and don't think I can fit another one in, but wanted to check to see if 7 rounds were the usual magazine capacity. Thank you!

·
Registered
854 Posts
And make sure you don't "rim lock" the rounds when loading the mag. Changes the angle of the brass which makes the last one difficult to insert. And almost impossible to chamber & cycle.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
Rimlock is a real possibility with the semi-rimmed .32 round (the rim was used to let it work in some .32 revos???), but the energetic recoil spring on a PP will generally drive it home. Still, it's worth watching how you load the rounds.
Viper, think you've mentioned troubles with the .32 before; personally find ti easier than the .380 iteration. Are you charging from slide lock?
Moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both and a couple more questions?

Thank you, both! So, the .32 ACP is a semi-rimmed cartridge, apparently, but the PPK will also fire a .380 cartridge. It seems contradictory that a gun designed ror a .32 cartridge can shoot a larger cartridge. Does it have something to do with the way the .380 is rimmed? I would think the bullet portion of the .380 round is a larger diameter than the .32 ACP round and would get stuck in the barrel. Do you think a magazine loader will help prevent rim lock? I ordered a HSK, which I know is not designed for the Walther PPK magazine, but apparently will work anyhow. Would using a loader prevent rim lock? I have owned a .22 Ruger and a couple of shotguns, so the question of rims and such has never been much of an issue.
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
432 Posts
A ppk will not shoot 32 and 380. A 32 shoots 32 and a 380 shoots 380.
The gun was chambered in 22, 25, 32, or 380. The marking for the proper caliber is on the slide. It will shoot that caliber and no other (assuming it is properly marked).

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
You shouldn't need a mag loader for the Walther mags, tho' the one you ordered may work. All the loader does is push down the top round in the mag, making it easier to insert the next round. Loaders are most often used in high capacity double stack magazines.
Regarding rim lock, simply observe that each round is all the way back in the magazine before inserting the next one, whose rim will nest in the chamfered area of the round below it. If you can manage to get the top round's rim behind the rim of the round below it, that's rimlock.
Moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Moon Wolf and Moonclip!

Thank you Moon Wolf and Moonclip. I am so glad I joined ths forum, and that y'all don't mind helping me out. Truly appreciate it. I am wondering if I can get the owners manual for this pistol online. I guess I can Googe around and find out. My understanding is that this Crown-N is essentially the same as its modern offspring. Although I had read once that the .32 ACP PPK is no longer in production.
I was planning to use a two-handed grip, because that is what I am used to. But I may experiment with a one-hand grip. I don't know how much "kick" it will have and the grip is small compared to my old Ruger.
I also understand that the PPK is notably accurare for a small automatic, but I don't know to what distance that is. Guess I'll find out.
In any case, thank you all for your invaluable help.:D
Kent
Wilmington, NC

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
(the rim was used to let it work in some .32 revos???)
I would be cautious with that. The .32ACP with fit perfectly in a revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long but the pressure is much to high. It would be like shooting proof loads. I have both calibers in my collection and keep them well separated.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Kent, I am old with weak fingers & I use an UpLula loader to load all my guns. A small one for 32 & 380 & a large one for 9mm & up. I have been shooting PPK 32 & 380 for over 60 years & have never had rim lock. Not that it can't happen, but less in PPK's.
PPK 32's are very accurate, more so than PPK 380's. I have put 7 shots in a 1.25 hole at 25' with a 32 at 25'. The recoil is very easy. It is there but less than most.

Meant to add, hit the loaded mag on your hand before using. It will help seat the bullets.

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
I would be cautious with that. The .32ACP with fit perfectly in a revolver chambered for .32 S&W Long but the pressure is much to high. It would be like shooting proof loads. I have both calibers in my collection and keep them well separated.
'cat, I was simply speculating about the semi-rimmed round, tho' who knows why a genius like Browning included the rim. Your point is well taken.
Gene, indeed yes, the .32 Walthers shoot straighter than the road to hell. And they are fun to shoot.
Moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Gene!

Thanks for the info, Gene. I was going to buy the UpLula, but I have only the one pistol for shooting at the range and for HD, and thought $13 for the HSK sounded better than $36 for the UpLula. Now whether it will work is another thing. 7 rounds in a 1.25 inch circle at 25' is impressive accuracy. I'm sure your skill was the most important factor, but it sounds like the gun is very accurate, as well. I am 66 and have some arthritis in my left hand as well as a painful "trigger finger" which I think I will have to get a shot for, since it is starting to lock up harder than before. Still, I can't wait to test drive this antique from another era.
Now if I could only figure out some of the "decoration" on the holster. This was a war souvenir, apparently.
Kent

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
....I am 66 and have some arthritis in my left hand as well as a painful "trigger finger" which I think I will have to get a shot for, since it is starting to lock up harder than before. ...
Kent
You can't do it easily with a rifle, but with a pistol you should learn to shoot a pistol with your right hand. Your master eye remains the same --just move the gun over a little. Then when the right hand starts to go, use your middle finger for something other than insults.

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts