Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stainless FS PPK/S in .380 that I bought about a year ago. Love the gun, no problems with reliability or accuracy.

I have however had a fair bit of an issue with the beavertail biting the middle knuckle of my dominant hand's thumb ( not slide bite and not hammer bite, call it "beaver bite"? ), a problem that is fairly common with the S&W and as well it would seem with the FS guns.

Are there any good solutions to this?

I am looking into the Nill grips as they seem larger and longer, and may fill the hand and put less pressure on the sharp edge of the tang / beavertail. Has anyone purchased the Nill grip?

I am open to having a good gun smith do some file work to round off the underside of the beavertail and tang and meld it into the grip. Has anyone done this to alleviate this problem? Who would you trust to do this work?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cut about a 2” section off a round pencil and wrapped it in light grit sand paper to gently and carefully work just the edge of the beaver tail ever so slightly on both sides. Be patient and go slow if you decide to do it yourself.
Mine now almost has a “soft” feel to it and I no longer receive any marks or cuts.
Once again, I did nothing excessive and it still looks like it did when new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the Same Issue

After about 200 rounds of Federal black box, the skin at the base of my thumb on the right side was abraded. It still has a little scab after about 2 weeks. I used 400 grit emery cloth to round the left edge of the beavertail. Will see how this works.

·
Super Moderator
7,409 Posts
Good idea to round any sharp edges, but there are two easy solutions:
-Wear a bike glove on your gun hand; you won't need it for carrying.
-Don't shoot so many rounds in a PPK; it is simply a rappy bugger.
Moon

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m reticent to file at it and I’ve also been considering widening the grip slightly.
Looking at cutting a bit of material (stainless like the frame? Cocobolo like the grip? Poly?) and rounding *it* rather than the original so that there’s no sharp edge.
It doesn’t kick hard but it is a 90 degree metal edge...

·
Registered
10,112 Posts

I find the editing program on my Mac works really quickly. Quick touch up of the tail on a stock Ft Smith pistol. Slight amt off the top in order to smooth up the curve in regard to the rear of the slide shape. Then a bit off the forward bottom section. All in all the tail still holds flesh away from the slide almost the same amount as the stock layout. It just no longer appears to droop down. 1917

1 - 6 of 6 Posts