Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

First-time poster here. I am looking to buy a 1960s German production PPK, but I am somewhat put off by the bizarre black markings that run all throughout the grips. As you can see from the attached images, there are extensive black and gray striations running through the brown Walther grips, which I have never seen elsewhere. It looked initially like something stained them, but the seller insists they are molded that way.

Can you confirm or deny his theory? The gun otherwise looks fine, and if in fact the grips have been compromised somehow, how easy would it be to buy 1960s German grips in good condition?

Looking forward to your words of wisdom, and joining the fraternity of PPK owners soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That swirl in the grips has been present since day one. I find it very attractive and it is one of the more charming features of Walther brand.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That swirl in the grips has been present since day one. I find it very attractive and it is one of the more charming features of Walther brand.
Okay, great, thanks! I’m surprised I never noticed it before, but now I am looking at Google Images and there it is, plain as day.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Sometimes, too often, those grips are cracked at the screw hole and/or warped such the the two panels don’t fit perfectly. That pistol looks like it is wearing a nice pair of grips. If it were mine, I would swap those with some nice wood grips and hang onto the original plastic grips. This is a personal preference, mainly because I love the feel and look of wood, but also because those OEM grips are so darned nice looking and not easy or inexpensive to replace. I suspect replacing those with OEM would cost north of $100 for a nice pair.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Definitely hang on to them. It only increases the value of your gun. I personally like them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay, assuming I remove the original grips and set them aside, are there any favorite aftermarket wood grips for German PPKs?

I actually like Pachmayr grips, but it appears they only offer them for PPK/S....

I found these:

http://grips4u.net/product/walther-ppk-grips-checkered-logo/

I have a set of their grips on a 357 Auto Mag and really like them. I may give these PPK grips a try unless somebody has other ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.